Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

460 (Howitzer) & East Lanks Batteries Cape Helles

Kiwi Bob

Greetings from Kiwi Land

In June 1915, the 460 Howitzer Battery was located just behind the 3rd NZ Battery (my special interest),and the East Lanks to the East of the 3rd NZ on the cliffs above I think between Gully and X Beaches, some info on the map reference would help me. Also does anyone have a map showing the map references of that section of the Helles area.

As a new member I am finding the Forum just great.

cheers Kiwi Bob

There is a chapter on the 3rd battery at Krithia in Lieut J R Byrne’s New Zealand Artillery in the Field 1914 – 19 (Chapter V, page 61 – 66)– no map showing any Krithia artillery map references though.

Zack

Bob,

The att. is from the British OH and is correctly referred to as a 'schematic diagram' rather than a map, so I am not too sure of how much help it will be to you,

other than to suggest that the battery in questions appears to be designated as '450' and not '460'

Ignore this last comment - 460th served with the 29th Div. Goodness only knows where they got the '450' from on the map

HellesArtilleryCommunicationsJune19.jpg

Helles, Artillery Communiations, June 1915: Not to Scale

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Our forum Pal, 'Krithia' Steve Chambers in his book 'Gully Ravine' has references to the 460th Battery in June 1915

and he mentions their 4.5" howitzers as being at Y Ravine and 'above Y Beach'

regards

Michael