Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Essex Regiment

stiletto_33853

Wonder if any of you knowledgeable Essex Regiment chaps could help me with a relation of mine.

Jack Macey, 10th Officer Cadet Battalion 30/5/17, according to his papers posted to the 3rd Essex Regiment, but no signs of having served with them.

Posted 9th Essex 4/8/17

29/1/18 posted to England for 6 months duty.

A/Captain in charge of "A" Company 7/9/18

M.I.D. 8/11/18 (no idea what for) in the London Gazette 27/12/18

Posted to the 15th Essex 5/3/19

Released from duty 21/9/18

Previously he served as 2238 then 590642 in the London Irish Rifles

Attested 1/9/14

to France 9/3/15

Wounded in action G.S.W. to the head 27/10/15

Rejoined unit on 21/1/16

To England for commission 23/12/16

Any help would be greatfully received.

Andy

Officer Cadet Battalion

post-1871-1191744073.jpg

Andy, the 3rd Essex was the Reserve Battalion, stationed at Warley Barracks (Brentwood) for the duration of the war. For example, men wounded with one of the serving battalions and repatriated would then be transferred into the 3rd until they were fit again, and then transferred out again to go back to the front with another battalion.

So his papers might show a transfer into the 3rd and out again, but I don't think you will find any "service" with the 3rd as such.

The Essex Regiment Museum in Chelmsford may well have a bit on this bloke. The Curator is Ian Hook, and he can be reached on pompadour@chelmsford.gov.uk

But now I see that you live just down the road...in good old Sour-fend.

Noel

Jack (driving) with his brother, Albert Edward Macey, who he joined up with in the London Irish. Albert later became an Officer in the 11th Londons.

post-1871-1191757294.jpg

Noel,

Thanks, I will drop in and see Ian. Although living in Essex, not the most knowledgeable person on the Essex Regiment.

Andy

I have copies of the Appendices to the 162nd Brigade War Diary which have details of nearly all officer movements within the 1/11th Londons. If Albert was 1/11th then I should be able to tracks his movements if you want me to, Andy.

Steve.

Steve,

That would be great if you could. In December 1917 he applied for a transfer to the R.F.C., he passed the medical but never went into the R.F.C. (no AIR File).

Andy

Andy,

2nd Lt. A. E. Macey joined the 1/11th Londons on 27th February 1918.

He is Listed as On Strength, at the end of: February 1918, March 1918, April 1918, and May 1918.

He was struck off strength when admitted to hospital (no cause listed) on 13th June 1918.

He is not listed on strength for June & July 1918.

He returned from hospital in August 1918 on a date that is both under the file treasury tag and my thumb!, but between 17th and 19th August 1918, inclusive.

Listed as Second Lieutenant at the end of August and September 1918.

He left the battalion on 19th October 1918 to attend a Machine Gun Course.

He rejoined from a course at Zeitoun on 21st December 1918.

Listed as a Second Lieutenant on Strength for end of December 1918

I don't have the 11th Londons month-end lists for January 1919, and February 1919 but he is not recorded as leaving the battalion during those two months.

He was actually quite healthy by the standards of the comings and goings of the Brigade!

He was transferred as a Lieutenant to the Territorial Force Reserve (Infantry) on 4-12-1920.

Lt. A. E. Macey, from 11th Bn., London Regt., to be Lt. 4th Dec. 1920.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...A.%20E.%20Macey

Steve.

Steve,

Fantastic stuff thank you, no indication in his record of this, apart from his transfer to the Territorial Force Rsesrve. Talking to the family, they still have a lot of his documentation apart from all the photographs I have managed to find, just waiting to see it all now.

Thanks again Steve, much appreciated.

Andy

6000th Post!

Jack Macey's Gazette entries:

LG 31-10-1917

War Office,

31st October, 1917..

REGULAR FORCES.

The undermentioned temp. 2nd Lts., from attd., unless otherwise stated, are transferred to Serv. Bns., with seniority from dates shown:

INFANTRY.

Essex R.—J. Macey. 30 May 1917.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/ViewPDF.a...xact=J.%20Macey

(Delay on these seems to be 3 to 4 months after the actual posting)

LG 23-11-1918

Essex R.

Temp. 2nd Lt. J. Macey to be actg. Capt. while comdg. a Co. 7 Sept. 1918.

LG 14-1-1919

Essex R

Lt. 'R. Gifford (7th Bn., T.F.) to be actg. Capt. while comdg. a Co. 3 Oct. 1918 to 16 Nov. 1918.

Temp. 2nd Lt. J. Macey to be temp. Lt. 30 Nov. 1918, with precedence next below S. R. Whaley.

LG 20-5-1919

Essex R.

Temp. Lt. J Macey relinquishes the actg. rank of Capt. on ceasing to comd. a Co., 9th Bn. 6 Mar. 1919.

Steve.

Steve,

Congrats on the 6000th post, and thank you for this other information.

Andy

Another son, Frank, served in the R.E. (No. 2 section, 2/3rd London Field Company)

Here is their mother, my great grandmother, with various sweetheart broaches on.

post-1871-1191785793.jpg

Aniie,

All these have come to light recently as Albert's son all of a sudden has remembered in his old age, and found in his loft stacks of photographs of Jack & Albert with a lot of their officers documentation, notebooks, MID certificate an so on. A veritable personal treasure trove.

Andy

hi Andy

Regards the citation from the London Gazzette:

Lt. 'R. Gifford (7th Bn., T.F.) to be actg. Capt. while comdg. a Co. 3 Oct. 1918 to 16 Nov. 1918.

Temp. 2nd Lt. J. Macey to be temp. Lt. 30 Nov. 1918, with precedence next below S. R. Whaley.

S.R.Whaley was my grandfather, I have some pics with a number of officers in them, if you can post me a photo of Macey it might just be that I have a photo or two of your relative. If you had any of my grandfather I would much appreciate a copy.

Cheers

Marco Richard

Hi Marco,

I have posted a couple of pictures of him earlier in this thread and I am sorting out the others that have come to light, there are a fair few of them so will see what we have.

Andy