Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Three MICs for one man

Moonraker

I'm sure that the matter of a man having two Medal Index Cards has been raised before but, I'm sorry, I didn't pay attention because I seldom research individuals.

However I have a postcard sent to No 27497 Pte F W Tay...., 72 (MT) Depot Coy, ASC Aldershot, his surname being part-obscured by a heavy Bulford Camp postmark. But using the MIC search form leads me to two cards for F W D Taylor and another for Francis Walter Taylor, all with the same number and all in the ASC. His rank is variously given as Serjeant, Serjeant/Acting Company Quarter Master and Acting Warrant Officer Class I.

Why three MICs - and is this number unusual.? (I wonder if anyone has more than three MICs?) Was there any difference in status between his being an acting CQMS and an acting WO1?

Moonraker

Can you post images of the cards in question (if you have them)?

I am familiar with cases where there are two cards, one for medal entitlement and the other relating to "mentioned in dispatches".

You might also try posting in the "interpreting medal index cards" section of this forum.

One (reference WO372/24) is an MID, MSM or TFEM. The other two are probably his Star and BWM/VM, but split because the two awards at different times couldn't be matched - until now.

EDIT:

Top one is an MSM:

LG 1-1-1918

MERITORIOUS SERVICE MEDAL.

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the Meritorious Service Medal to the undermentioned Warrant Officers, Non-commissioned Officers and Men, in recognition of valuable services rendered with the Armies in the Field dunng the present war.

M/27497 Sjt, (A./Coy. Q.MS) F. W. D. Taylor, A S.C. (Weeley).

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

Steve:

Thanks for that info.

Rmacdona: No, I don't have his MICs; may be something for me to look up on my next visit to TNA (probably next summer).

A few weeks ago, we were cautioned about double-posting questions, but I take your inferred point that it might have been better had I posted my initial query in "Interpreting MICs".

Moonraker