Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hon Captain Peter Emmanuel Wright, MGC

AndyMacdonald

Hi there,

I'm seeking any info on this particular officer:

Hon Captain Peter Emmanuel Wright, whose MIC card shows he served with the Machine Gun Corps. He was also a translator and wrote the book "At the Supreme War Council", which was published in London and New York in 1921.

I'm looking for any information... be it broad brushstrokes, or juicy details. Any references to this guy in other books, diaries letters and so on would be welcome. A photo would be great!

This information is for a research project that I am currently working on.

Regards

Andy Macdonald

Times Obituary in case you don't have it:

The Times, Wednesday, Apr 17, 1957; pg. 13; Issue 53818; col B

Captain P. E. Wright

Category: Obituaries

post-6536-1191596611.png

Steve.

From the Harrow School Register (1885-1949)

1894 Easter to Midsummer Term

Wright, Emanuel (Small Houses and The Knoll)

Son of Mr W. Wright, Esq., 51, Avenue de Freiedland, Paris

Left 1896. Bailliol Coll. Oxford (Exh. and History Scholar)

1st Class Mod. Hist.

Barrister 1907

Great War, Lieut. R.N.A.S. 1915; Capt. M.G.C.

Asst. Sec. Supreme War Council, Versailles

E. Wright, Esq., 31, Fitzjohns Avenue, N.W.3.

Pam

The one Gazette entry I can find for him says MGC (Motors) which combined with the RNAS, says Armoured cars to me...

Steve.

The one Gazette entry I can find for him says MGC (Motors) which combined with the RNAS, says Armoured cars to me...

Steve.

Any suggestion about how one could find out about his possible armoured car service?

A rather dodgy character if you ask me. His "At the Supreme War Council" is scurrilous. I am working on a theory that he was, ahem, asked to leave the army in 1918. More on that when I have confirmed it. A diary of one of his fellow officers on the British staff at the Supreme War Council said this of him: "The former is I believe a lawyer by profession but he really might be anything except a soldier. As a matter of fact he is not even a temporary soldier, being a Lieutenant in the Royal Naval Reserve Armoured Cars, I believe. I don't know why he calls himself Captain but no one seems to object". (Papers of Lt-Col R.H. Beadon, Imperial War Museum)

He was in fact a Captain, albeit a Temporary one.

MACHINE GUN CORPS (MOTOR).

Temp. Capt. P. E. Wright relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health, and is granted the hon. rank of Capt. 5 Sept. 1918.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

His RNAS service is documented in a National Archives file, though I don't know what level of information these files contain:

ADM 273/5/478 Page 478: Peter Emanuel Wright. RNAS Officers Service 1914-1918

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...ullDetails=True

Steve.

Thanks for all this great information folks, please keep it coming!

I'd love to hear more about the possibility of his having been asked to leaving the army!

Andy M

Andy, what is the context of your interest in this man?

Chris,

Research into his civvy life. He's a character that's cropped up while researching another person - an actress - for a biography. It's unlikely he'll feature much beyond a line or two - maybe even a paragraph - in the finished book. Why do you ask?

Andy M

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've only just come across this thread. It's quite old and I expect it has long gone cold but just in case the OP is still tuning in now and then, I do have quite a lot of information on Captain Peter Emanuel Wright, whom I first came across while researching another controversial figure, Commander Oliver Stillingfleet Locker-Lampson. I should be most interested to learn who the actress was!