The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Hooge Cemetery

armourersergeant

I have just been sent this for my WFA newsletter, as part of a larger article, I was intrigued to read about this. Anyone able to enlarge upon this.

We’re intrigued to see that there’s a lot of work in the front of Hooge Crater cemetery and that there’s a fenced off patch of ground in the cemetery itself. On closer inspection, there’s a hole in the grass! What’s going on? Apparently it’s been discovered that there’s a huge underground bunker and dugout system that runs across the front of the cemetery and on under the Menin Road. Indeed, at some point in the recent past the Menin Road collapsed and had to be built up. Work has now started to investigate the site. It is said that the dugouts are just as they were left at the end of the war. Something to keep an eye on for future developments!

regards

Arm

Thats why I want to go now, thought we could loose Jon.

But actually I only found this out last night.

regards

Arm

So thats why you wanted to go there? I hope your not planning to leave anybody in one of the dugouts?

JOhn

John...........He did threaten to throw me in the crater if I wore my Spingboks Shirt at the end of the month. Now I think something more sinister is afoot.

Hi there,

I can tell you that the Menin Road area where you are talking about was interlaced with dugouts and underground underpasses so that the troops didn't have to cross over the road.

Before and after the actions at Hooge in 1915 the front criss crossed the road so it is not unfeasible that this dugout/bunker is one of them.

See this trench map

Hooge.jpg

Steve

The winter of 1917 saw a huge amount od Div and Bde dugouts and accommodation dugouts dug for troops in the Salient. There is a copy of the tunnelers plan of the Hooge Crater dugout system on page 247 of Peter Bartons "Beneath Flanders Fields" book. From the plan it looks like it could hold about 558 men.

Regards

Iain

Iain,

Could you enlarge upon this system and what it would have been used for.

regards

Arm

Ps Will, if the Boks win the cup and you do wear the shirt, Jon may get a reprieve!!!

Steve,

Any chance you could e-mail me a copy of that map? I would appreciate the opportunity to look at once I am out there later this month. I can PM you with e-mail address.

regards

Arm

Arm,

No probs. I've PM'd you my email address.

Steve

Hello,

I was speaking to Albrecht De Smul at the Hooge Crater Museum last week and he told me the bunker had be surveyed about a month ago. It seems to run from the cemetery right under the road and to the small road next to the museum. He had been told it would be big enough to hold over 500 men.

Stewart

Just back hot-foot from the trenches to bring pics of Arm's Hole (a name to rival Prowse Point?). They had put a little fence around it so that it couldn't get away. I leaned over and put my stick into it. It went down about two and a half feet into water.

Ypres2007077.jpg

Ypres2007078.jpg

Gosh what a little hole - I expected something more (don't know why though!).

Thanks for posting the pic.

Hi pighills.

The term for this collapse is a 'Crown Hole', indicative of underground activity.

How is Harrogate? As my Mother used to say;

"Two coats colder and one more bucket full wetter"!

Kindest regards,

Chris.

It's dreek - same as the rest of the country I expect.

Always nice to learn these things - thanks for the explanation.

I was told last thursday that they had put a camera down it and had extablished that there were coats hanging up still, where they had been left!! Mind I was also told that it was not flooded.

I guess it will be a while before we get a true account that has not done the chineese rounds.

thanks for the pics, though 'Arms hole', leaves rather a bit to be desired on the descency front as far as a name goes.

regards

Arm

• 3 weeks later...

The C.W.G.C website indicates that there is current work underway felling and replanting trees at Hooge Crater cemetery

Steve Binks

The C.W.G.C website indicates that there is current work underway felling and replanting trees at Hooge Crater cemetery

Steve Binks

This is immediately to the left as you go in the front gate and before you drop down to the gravestone level. Cleared two weeks ago. Replanting not started

I was told last thursday that they had put a camera down it and had extablished that there were coats hanging up still, where they had been left!! Mind I was also told that it was not flooded.

I guess it will be a while before we get a true account that has not done the chineese rounds.

thanks for the pics, though 'Arms hole', leaves rather a bit to be desired on the descency front as far as a name goes.

regards

Arm

Having been forced at almost Gun point (well I exagerate a bit) to put a camera down Arms hole at the weekend :ph34r: , the resulting photo which is now in Arm's possession suggests that it's flooded

HELLO BOYS

I WAS SPEAKING WITH JOHAN WANDEWALLE WHO WILL DIG THIS SITE. FULL OF WATER NOT TRUE A PROBE WAS SENT DOWN AND IT ONLY HIT SPOIL FROM THE FALL IN NO COATS HANGING UP OR ANYTHING ELSE YET. BUT THIS IS A VERY DEEP BUNKER THEY PUT A POLE LIKE A JAVELIN DOWN AND IT WENT TO 12MTRE. IT IS ON PETER BARTONS PLANS AND IS VERY VERY BIG IF IT HAS NO MORE FALLINS SPACE FOR MUCH MORE THAN 500. THEY EXPECT IT TO BE UNTOUCHED SINCE THE END OF THE WAR SO ARTIFACTS MAY BE PLENTY. I HOPE SO I WANT ONE OF THEM. I HOPE A PERFECT RIFLE THE ONE I HAVE IS NOT IN GREAT CONDITION. CARNT WAIT TO VISIT AGAIN.

Having been forced at almost Gun point (well I exagerate a bit) to put a camera down Arms hole at the weekend :ph34r: , the resulting photo which is now in Arm's possession suggests that it's flooded

Who says that Brigadier-Generals do not get their knees dirty.

woof

Flash

the resulting photo which is now in Arm's possession suggests that it's flooded

My stick said the same. I see my suggestion for the naming of this geographical feature appears to have stuck.

I guess this does not infringe on tour rules, so this is the view from my camera that was actually down the hole. I guess that the angles etc do not help with the scale of the 'cavern' but it does look pretty watery down there!

Armpost-741-1193780158.jpg

IF IT WAS SOLID AND DRY THEY WOULD NOT HAVE GOT THE PROBE IN AT ALL . YOU DO KNOW THAT WATER FINDS THE EASYEST PATH . IT MAY BE WET BUT LOOK CLOSE THIS IS WATER AND SOIL MUD WET IT DONT MEAN THE BUNKER IS FLOODED I HAVE SEEN TUNNELS WITH A FOOT OF WATER BUT IT IS LIQUID CLAY EVEN IF IT IS FLOODED TOTALY THEY PUMP IT OUT BUT IT MAKES THE STRUCTURE UNSAFE AND THEY ARE VERY WEARY TO GO DEEP INTO SUTCH A TUNNEL. SO I HOPE ITS TOTALY DRY.GOOD LUCK WITH THE CAMERA I WILL TAKE MY CAM CORDER AND TRY SHOW YOU WHAT I MEAN

AND I DONT MEAN ANY OFFENCE TO ANYONE.

BERTIE

Also without wishing to cause offence....

Are you aware that typing in caps is the equivalent to shouting at people? :)

I DID SAY NO OFFENCE. I AM ONLY IN ATHERSTONE WARKS YOU MAY HAVE HEARD ME. JOKING APART I DONT KNOW HOW TO PUT PICS ON YET BUT I WILL GET THER. I HAVE I SHOULDENT SAY THIS OBJECTS FROM THESE DIGS ON MY WALL YOU WOULD BE GOB SMACKED AT. SORRY TO SHOUT