Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Line infantry tunics and frocks 1900 to 1914

Muerrisch

Starter for 10....

A white version from the same lot of photos as the above.

Gordon (see helmet w/badge and spike), again no way of identifying location but assumed to be India

• 1 month later...

Just got hold of another version. This is an Aberdeen Photographer. Some interesting differences between Frocks (coloured cuffs, piped front etc) Compare Post No 21.

This is probably a Territorial (isn't that an efficiency star on his arm?)

Grumpy,

This may be of no use, and if so I apologise, but I don't know whether you would be interested in pics of two of my chaps. I have no idea when the pictures were taken and whether they're the sort of uniform that interests you, so if they're taken after the start of the war or they're the wrong kind of uniform then I apologise. They were both reservists though, so there's a chance the pics could have been taken pre-war.

The first chap served in the West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own) during the war, but whether this was his original regiment I don't know. Here's the pic anyway.

Cheers,

Carole.

post-33841-1215798198.gif

Here's the second photograph, the chap was in the Royal Horse Artillery during the war, again don't know about his previous service, other than he enlisted around 1900. Sorry about not being able to date the photos and apologies if they're no use without the date.

Cheers,

Carole.

post-33841-1215798559.gif

Carole, its really the scarlet versions I am pursuing, thank you very much.

Post 28 star is probably 'distance judging' award, so could equally be a regular.

Thanks to all!

• 2 months later...

Grumpy

Another variant for you.

This one appears to be constructed differently having a seam down the middle of each side. It appears (although it may be a trick of the light) that the material in the middle is also different. Also appears not to have yellow collar facings.

Thank you ....... but I have a point to make about the strange-looking front!

I have several photos of soldiers in scarlet tunic or scarlet frock with similar 'lines' down each chest, and have concluded that they are fold marks! One particular group of 2nd RWF in India [not immediately to hand] is very strikingly similar.

Just a thought.

Thank you ....... but I have a point to make about the strange-looking front!

I have several photos of soldiers in scarlet tunic or scarlet frock with similar 'lines' down each chest, and have concluded that they are fold marks! One particular group of 2nd RWF in India [not immediately to hand] is very strikingly similar.

Just a thought.

Hmmmm that's very possible. Here is a close up so you can make up your own mind.

Not obvious, is it?

Two contradictory thoughts:

1. darned silly place to put a seam

2. darned silly narrow way to fold a jacket.

Jury is out!

Not obvious, is it?

Two contradictory thoughts:

1. darned silly place to put a seam

2. darned silly narrow way to fold a jacket.

Jury is out!

Looking closely (with magnification) I still cannot decide; however, there is no sign of a seam at the top - where it would presumably meet the collar - I would expect that to be visible if it were indeed a seam so.....

rather than being a product of folding, is it possible that this was an "ironed in" crease of some sort? part of an attempt to "smarten up" the garment (you mentioned above about embellishments on frocks in India etc) seems odd and the rest of the frock doesn't look very "pressed" to me.

This pic. appears to me to be from the UK - it seems to be taken on the steps of a fairly typical wooden barracks hut and has a standard postcard back.

I have also picked up an interesting (?) Doublet picture which I would like your opinion on - I'll start another thread so as not to confuse this one.

Chris

India 1904, Frank Richards on the left: similar creases/ folds/ whatever? I wonder if it was a backing to the edges of the centres, buttons, button holes etc?

post-894-1222963436.jpg

Chris

Take a close look at the front of the tunic on post 28. You can just make out the the same lines that appear on the tunic on post 34. Could these marks be from the edge of the interfacing on the inside of the jacket ?

Chris

If the edges are doubled for buttons and buttonholes, pressing the front of the tunic could make that stand out. Especially if there was a stiffener inserted as well. That said, I still have nightmares about ironing things like trews and BD Blouses etc. The army had fixed ideas of how stuff should be ironed and where creases should be. So, of course, did the Royal Navy with transverse creases on bellbottoms.

Ahhhha.... I should probably have done this earlier :blush: but after a frantic search for my camera and a bit of a fight with the slade-wallace equipment - it appears you are (all!) correct. See seams!

Grumpy

I am not into the red tunic but here are two photos that I have if they are any use

John Howe 7135 Gordon Highlanders ent France 23/2/15 which would probably indicate 1/4th Bn, trf Labour Corps.

The Durhams are from 1/8th Bn and are two of the Fenwick brothers from Elvet in Durham City, I believe that the lad standing is 2472 Pte Walter Fenwick KiA 26/4/15.

I can email better scans if required.

John

post-27843-1222973134.jpg

post-27843-1222973164.jpg

• 1 month later...

I was trying to identify a uniform and Chris suggested you might be interested in this photo of my Grandad serving with 1st battalion Royal Scots some time between 1907 and 1919.

Higher res scan available if you are interested and any comments regarding the uniform much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alan

post-13254-1227470031.jpg

• 8 months later...

Sorry for the "Lazarus thread" act but....

Grumpy (et al),

Can anyone identify this arm badge worn by a Gordon on a scarlet frock?

post-14525-1250260342.jpg

I wondered if it might be a bandsman's badge - or.....

Chris

My thought was Bandsman's badge as well - it seems to be the right shape and assuming that it is the right and not the left arm......................

My thought was Bandsman's badge as well - it seems to be the right shape and assuming that it is the right and not the left arm......................

Thanks - and yes it is - see below! Proud Father and Son?

post-14525-1250264501.jpg