Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Line infantry tunics and frocks 1900 to 1914

Muerrisch

A modicum of help, please.

I am researching the evolution of the scarlet tunic and frock, and have a complete story for RWF.

However, they were

a. fusiliers and

b. royal

Graham Stewart has kindly provided a lot of material for the Northumberland Fusiliers, so I am short of info. for non-royal line.

Please, if you have photos in wear or of the articles themselves, and are able to date them, I would be most grateful.

PM if any help forthcoming, please.

Grumpy,

Can't remember if I homed you in onto this site, but the lad concerned 'Fred Garcia', has some lovely photo's although some captions are incorrect, as you will no doubt notice. However it is an American run site and without the relevant reference works to assist there can be grounds for foregiveness. Some of the photo's are recent additions.

Graham.

http://www.soldiersofthequeen.com/

Graham, many thanks indeed, its lovely.

My tabulation of the RACD tunic changes and badges has had to go on hold, as I finish no fewer than four articles [one a three-parter] for Stand To!, but finish it I will!

Graham, many thanks indeed, its lovely.

My tabulation of the RACD tunic changes and badges has had to go on hold, as I finish no fewer than four articles [one a three-parter] for Stand To!, but finish it I will!

Grumpy,

Have you gone crossed eyed yet going through the Registries?

I have never gone through anything but SD and related articles in any detail. So your research is a welcome addition--I did copy all of the registries from 1900 through 1927 so if you need a quick look-up let me know.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe, it is arduous so I do a few pages a day as and when ...... the material is a bu**er's muddle but I am sorting it slowly.

Thanks for offer ........ I was selective, went through page by page and only took digi photo of pages with 'my' topics, ie. tunics, frocks, badges arm, armlets, and anything RWF. As it is, there are literally hundreds of photos!

I will let you have the final tabulation but don't hold your breath!

• 4 months later...

I have a late (1914) Devon Rgt, scarlet tunic if you are interested in pictures. I also have pictures of early war issued tunics being worn due to the khaki shortage (Bedfordshires)

post-76-1202564891.jpg

Hi Grumpy, I have a scarlt tunic to the 6th Battalion Notts and Derby. Colour Sergeant, marksman badge and 6 efficency stars and dated 1913, paper label and his Regimental no. I could take a photo and put on the forum if you are interested. JG.

That would be most kind although ideally it would be front, with collar, shoulder straps and cuffs very clear, and also a back shot, and also, if not too much trouble, a label.

If you have trouble shrinking photos, we could always do the job with an email attachment: please PM me if needs be.

Thanks in advance.

Grumpy,

I dont know if this is off thread but I thought I would send it anyway Royal Welch Fusiliers 1898, Battalion not known

Tom

post-18033-1203002339.jpg

Looks like 2nd Battalion in Malta (1896 - 1898 at which point they went to Crete). A good view of the Sgt Drummer's sash, with badges laid out differently to others used by the RWF.

That would be most kind although ideally it would be front, with collar, shoulder straps and cuffs very clear, and also a back shot, and also, if not too much trouble, a label.

If you have trouble shrinking photos, we could always do the job with an email attachment: please PM me if needs be.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Grumpy, I cannot load the photo's, send me your email address and I will attach. JG

Grumpy,

My Frock coat to a Sjt in the Derbyshire Regiment including the protecting Rifle 'Patch'.

hope this helps

Mark

The reverse

post-11424-1203332015.jpg

post-11424-1203332161.jpg

and another shot of the front

post-11424-1203332684.jpg

post-20062-1203353088.jpgHi Grumpy, a photo of a sergeant's tunic in the 2nd Derby V.B. It has 2 V DERBY in white on red epouletts, white metal Victorian collar dogs and buttons. Pre 1902. JG

Scarlet Highland "Frock" (not sure if this counts as line infantry?)

I know very little about this other than information kindly provided by Tom McCluskey. I hope it is appropriate to this thread although I am unsure of when exactly this style was worn.

It is unlined but has white linen pockets and some seam tapes. A couple of WD stamps and GS buttons.

It has the remains of a paper (shellaced?) label inside the right breast but nothing is legible.

Chris

Thank you: Highland is certainly 'Line'!

Nice item. The frock was the second-best garment: in India it was the best garment, and inevitably tarted up a bit.

Frocks exist in 7 and 5 button varieties. A soldier tried to maintain two, plus his 'best'.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Not sure if you are still interested

I have been searching for an image of a Gordon in this style of frock for several months - partly to convince myself that they did wear them! Just got this one:

Unfortunately pasted to a sheet of card so no clues from the back as to location but it has (as you suggested above) the feel of India about it.

Beautiful shot: I will present an analysis when I can but I expect a Scottish expert will beat me to it!

Are you also looking at white frocks ? If you like, at my parents' home, there's an early 1900's (Indian) studio photo of 2 regulars of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders wearing the all-white cotton frock/tunic with rounded fronts (similar in cut to the scarlet one) - gauntlet cuffs etc, white Wolseley helmets with Cams badge on the front of the pugri, white on black sporran, Cameron of Erracht kilt, green/red hose and white spats. The older looking chap has more stripes below his elbow than above ! He has a big moustache and has an expression like a Mack Sennet villain ! I think he may be a relative, as another much earlier (pasteback) photo (carte de visite ?) shows a young man with arm propped on a studio pillar, wearing a waist-length white shell jacket (as worn only by guards and Highland regts), kilt of hard to determine tartan - the kilt looks shiny and the stripes can't be seen clearly - a typical effect of "hard" tartan when photographed in studio light. Queen Victoria championed an end to hard kilt material in the early 1870's to be replaced softer material still used today. He also has green/red hose, white spats and his plain glengarry sitting on the pillar has the badge of the 79th on it. I'm sure that's the same old sweat in the other pic in his early days. 30+ years service ? possible - he has plenty long service stripes on his white frock (not many above the elbow though !! How many times was he busted ??).

The Camerons photo is a really nice photo. I'll try my best to get a hold of it, but may take a while as I'm in Oman and I'm not sure my dad knows where the photo is now !

Yes, very interested: frocks are ill-documented at best.

I have as my next-but-one project 'frocks and tunics 1895 ish to 1914'!

Also, I am extremely interested in multiple good conduct badges, and wrote the definitive in MHS Bulletin recently.

So, yes please, as and when.