Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain N. C. Harrison

Andrew Marshall

Hi All

I'm trying to find any details about this chap. I have a letter written by him to a fiance of one of his men who is missing in action and he signs the letter N. C. Harrison Capt. Cdg. 6 T. M. Bty.

I can't find his London Gazette dates or his MIC so any help appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

This man I believe:

Medal card of Harrison, N Clive

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 158 Lance Corporal

Royal Warwickshire Regiment Lieutenant

Royal Warwickshire Regiment Captain

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...resultcount=187

LG 7-8-1917

The undermentioned to be actg. Capts.:

Whilst comdg. Trench Mortar Batts.:

Temp. 2nd Lt. (actg. Lt.) N. C. Harrison, R. War. R. 21st June 1917.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Military Cross.

LG 18-2-1918

T./Lt. (A./Capt.) Neville Clive Harrison, R. War. R.

LG 18-7-1918

T./Lt. (A./Capt.) Neville Clive Harrison, R. War. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during lengthy operation in command of his trench mortar battery. He was indefatigable in co-operation with the infantry, exposing himself freely for long periods to heavy hostile fire of all kinds. On several occasions, owing to casualties among his teams, he handled his mortars himself, and his coolness and courage were of the greatest assistance to the infantry in a critical situation.

Possibly also:

LG 13-5-1919

Air Ministry,

13th May, 1919.

ROYAL AIR FORCE.

The undermentioned are transferred to Unempld. List:

26th Apr. 1919.

Capt. N. C. Harrison.

That entry doesn't show his MC so perhaps not....

Steve.

Hi Steve

As usual you have found him exactly and lots of other information. Can I ask what search criteria you put into the LG?

Regards

Andrew

• 8 months later...
Guest Triumph28

Andrew

The man you are researching was - I believe - my Great Uncle. He was my maternal grandmother's brother in law. I met him regularly when I was a boy, and he was kind enough to present me with his marching compass (Verner) on one of my birthdays during the 60's which I still have c/w the leather carrying case and strap, the case inscribed NCH and soon after with my initials! He would have been in his seventies by then. When he passed away there was some suprise expressed by the family when his medals were found amongst his posessions - a very modest man indeed as the war was not mentioned in any great detail as far as I can recall. With the subsequent passing of his immediate family, and more recently my own parents I found I have also inherited his Welcome Home walking cane, with a silver band inscribed in his name acknowledging his MC and his home town Redditch - which is where he used to live before moving to Uphill in Weston-super-mare some years later. I've only just joined this site, as a result of clearing out my loft! Doing so I came across the compass once more thought I'd do a little research - so quite a turn up when I saw your posting. I have just searched on the London Gazette site and found he later had a bar added to his MC as well - a truly remarkable story in addition to that recording his MC. Unfortunately my Great Uncle does not appear in the listing provided by Terry Carter in his book entitled Birmingham Pals, and where he also performed research of the London Gazette. I also researched the National Archive and purchased a copy of his medal card - this information you already have from another member of this list. I do hope my offering has been of some use to you, and I would be fascinated to learn any detail you may have about him, the letter you mention he wrote to a Birmingahm pals fiance is of particular interest as it would I hope give me a further insight to his character. I hope to hear from you soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Shadow

Sorry I've taken so long to answer but I've been busy and not at my computer much.

I have scanned copies of the letters and will attach them here for you if you would like larger version contact me via my e mail and I will send them direct as the file size here is restricted.

The context of why I made the posting in the first place was because I was researching the details of Private Bert Garrett here is what I have briefly discovered so far.

2136 Private Bert L. Garrett West Kent Yeomanry

The West Kent Yeomanry dismounted during September 1915 and sailed from Liverpool on 24th September 1915 in S.S. ‘Olympic’ and landed at Gallipoli on the 8th October 1915 being attached to the 42nd Division. During January 1916 they were sent to Mudros and from there to Egypt in February 1916 becoming part of the South East Mounted Brigade, this eventually became absorbed into the 3rd Dismounted Brigade. On the 1st February 1917 along with the 1/1st Royal East Kent Regiment they formed 10th (Royal East Kent and West Kent Yeomanry) Battalion, The Buffs in the 230th Brigade, 74th (Yeomanry) Division landing at Marseilles on 7th May 1918.

A pre-war regular he was awarded the British War Medal and Victory Medal

There is a photograph of him in his Yeomanry uniform pre-war and one during training at Colchester (most probably 1917) his Medal Index Card shows that he also served in the Middlesex Regiment as Private G/43164.

He was taken Prisoner of War at some point and when released he received a letter from the King which is signed, it states:

Buckingham Palace

The Queen joins me in welcoming you on your release from the miseries & hardships, which you have endured with so much patience & courage.

During these many months of trial, the early rescue of our gallant Officers & Men from the cruelties of their captivity has been uppermost in our thoughts.

We are thankful that this longed for day has arrived, & that back in the old Country you will be able once more to enjoy the happiness of a home & to see good days among those who anxiously look for your return.

George R. J.

There are also two letters from his commanding officer to his fiancé the first states the following:

B.E.F.

6/1/18

Dear Miss Beaumont,

In reply to your letter dated 30/12/17, I very much regret that I can give you no further information about No. 43164 L/Cpl. B. Garrett.

The Germans attacked our trenches in mass formation and Cpl. Garrett fired all his ammunition at them, sent a man back with a message for more ammunition & stayed by his gun, himself to defend it to the last. When the messenger attempted to return to Cpl. Garrett he found that the trench in which the gun was had been captured by the enemy.

This N.C.O. was a very stout fellow & giving the short time he was with the Battery, had earned the respect of all & was much liked by Officers and men.

From what I knew of him, I should say he would fight to the last, but it is possible that he may have been wounded and taken prisoner or may have surrendered after seeing that there was no possible chance of his getting away. I sincerely hope that we shall hear he is safe.

We have been very pleased to hear that one of my Officers, who was missing on the same date is a prisoner, slightly wounded. I hope we shall hear that Cpl. Garrett & other brave fellows who were lost that day are also safe.

I have given instructions for any of your letters, to him that may arrive, to be returned direct to you.

Yours truly

N. C. Harrison

Capt.

Cmdg 6 T. M. Bty.

B.E.F.

2/2/18

Dear Miss Beaumont,

Thank you very much for your letter conveying the splendid news that L/Cpl. Garrett is a prisoner & safe.

I think prisoners are better treated now than they were at first for the enemy knows he is playing a losing game.

The many friends of Garrett’s in the Battery are delighted to hear he is safe.

Again thanking you

Yours truly

N. C. Harrison

These letters show that Bert had become a Lance Corporal and belonged to the 6th Trench Mortar Battery.

6th Trench Mortar Battery

6th Brigade (joined 18th March 1916)

2nd (Regular) Division

This Division was in the fighting line at the Battle of Cambrai in which the Germans effectively counter-attacked on the 30th November 1917 and subsequently took 6,000 prisoners of war, most probably Bert amongst them.

Regards

Andrew

post-385-1214929682.jpg

post-385-1214929705.jpg

Guest Triumph28

Thanks for this. Yes, I'd like you to e-mail the larger scanned version of the letters. Please do so to my e-mail address.