The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lyall Brothers, 15th HLI

Guest Kieron Hoyle

Guest Kieron Hoyle

Can anyone help with any biographical information on:

Lieutenant Archibald Lyall

Lieutenant James Lyall

Brothers, who served with 15th HLI and were killed 2nd July 1916 and buried side by side in Bouzincourt Communal Cemetery Extension.

I seek any information from a battalion history (if one exists), any biographical details or photos of them.

This is part of my research for a forthcoming 'Battleground Europe' book on Behind The Lines - Somme 1916.

Any help gratefully received and will obviously be creditied.

• 3 weeks later...

Kieron,

Sorry to have been a while in posting some information re the Lyalls. The standard work on 15th HLI (Tramways Bttn) is ‘History of the 156th HLI’ by T Chalmers,( also the historian of 16HLI) published in Glasgow in 1934. It was probably the fastest raised battalion in Kitchener’s armies, being effectively raised overnight.

I take it that you have looked up the brothers on the CWGC database, and there is not a lot left to tell from the history.

Both men were in the original embarkation on 22/23 Nov 1915. A Lyall was with B Coy, JT was in D Coy. There is a picture of JT opp p16 in the book, but none of his brother.

p36 relates that in training ‘ Sniping classes were started under Lieut. A Lyall of B Company, an excellent Marksman and a Bisley shot’.

The main reference is in part of the chapter dealing with the early days on thje Some, where the padre has written about the original officers; ‘ In the cemetery at Bouzincourt there are two Scots brothers. They were not youngsters when the conflict began. Both were happy in their married life; business men, they were just mounting the ladder of success. Together they went ‘over the top’, and within a few minutes were dead’ p81-82.

Of the fighting, attacking from the Leipzig redoubt on 3/7 ‘ the fighting spirit was astonishing high……….. They were scarcely in the trenches when they were out and over the top and at the enemy in his lair…….But in the human sense it was unfortunate, for an officer, Lieut. A. Lyall, was killed and many other ranks lost’ p83

Lieut JT Lyall was killed in ‘the savage conflict among the shell-holes’ as D Coy attacked on the right of the battalion front.

In this fighting the battalion lost 13 officers and 272 Ors, 86 in C Coy alone.

Oatts, of Proud Heritage fame does not have a great deal to add to the description of the day’s exertions, except to remark on the ferocity of the fighting

Hope that helps

Adam

Guest Kieron Hoyle

Hi Adam,

Thanks for that - this information helps a lot and fills in the gaps I needed.

I'll obviously give you a credit in the book!

Thanks from the Somme,

Kieron