Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oahu Cemetery

Guest jbd

Whilst trying to get to grips with the cemetery index on the CWGC site, I came across Oahu Cemetery.

There are 4 graves but only 3 are named. Looking at a photograph of the cemetery, it became obvious that one grave is a non-world war pattern. Had I looked more closely, I could have determined this fact from the write up about the cemetery.

Were I there, it is possible that I would have found the details of this grave at the back of the cemetery register. However, I am not, so how do I find out who is the 4th person?

I recollect reading a comment from TD that it was planned to include the many "missing" names on the CWGC index. What progress is being made on this and just how many bodies under named CWGC headstones are not actually shown on the public database?

Barrie Dobson

Barrie

You misunderstand slightly.

All names of Commonwealth war grave casualties and WW2 Commonwealth Civilian War Dead are available on the website. These are the two categories which CWGC are obliged to record according to their Royal Charter.

However, CWGC also look after a number of Foreign War Dead and Non-World War Graves by arrangement with other authorities. They are not obliged to publish or even record the names (but they do).

The Non-World War pattern headstone which you mention is not necessarily 'a CWGC headstone' as you state. It could be a private one as many of this type are.

As to whom the occupant is, I'll look them up and let you know.

When the development of the full database has been completed, access should be possible to the 40k Foreign and 20k Non-Word War graves in CWGC care.

Barrie

As I suspected, the fourth headstone in the picture is a private headstone not in CWGC care and so they do not record the name. However, I suspect that the cemetery authorities make no such distinction when caring for this plot.

You have been slightly misled by the picture and the numbers. There are, indeed, four war graves in Oahu Cemetery - 1 WW1 and 3 WW2. The three in the picture are the WW2s and the WW1 is out of shot. All four are listed on the website.

The Non-World War pattern headstone (not one of the four war graves) probably belongs to an old soldier or serviceman who died outside the qualifying period. Unfortunately, I cannot read the inscription.

Have I now confused you????

. All four are listed on the website.

Have I now confused you????

Yes!

Sorry Terry but I can only find the names of Gemmell, Hagar and Highland. The other alphabetical tabs do nt have any entries under them

Barrie Dobson

Sorry, Barrie. He IS there. Take more water with it!

Sub-Lieut (A) Kenneth Roberts SMITH RNVR, HMS Victorious

Died 08.04.43

Grave: Plot 163A Sec 2

He appearears under the 'S' tab as normal.

Having spoken to Barrie off-line - He is now able to find all casualties.

Problem seemed to lie in software rather than in Barrie's typing skills!