Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
michaeldr

Jordan Valley Day

Eran Tearosh

To my surprise, I can't seem to find any reference to the VC action of Badlu Singh (Post #1) in books (Covered six so far) describing the events at the Jordan River fords, south of Beisan . Very strange! Still trying to solve the issue of location of some of the sites mentioned, but the picture is gradually becoming clearer. 

Quite strange that Falls's OH includes a sketch of the events of September 24th in that area (Just South), but not of the events of the 23rd, that seems to me to be the climax of these events. Maybe the war diary of one of the units involved has a sketch of the battlefield of that day. 

Eran

Falls_skMap36Masudi.jpeg.jpeg.c5632bad6cc2bb9bb6c80a95f6898159.jpeg 

Eran Tearosh

Trying to figure out all the details (locations etc.) of these events that involved on the EEF side mostly the 11th Cavalry Brigade, 4th Mounted Division. The Brigade included the Middlesex Yeomanry,  36th Jacob's Horse and the 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse).

I have the Historical records of the Middlesex Yeomanry (Stonham & Freeman) and Michael was kind enough to send me the relevant pages from the 36th Jacob's Horse. I'm trying to find the relevant pages in Prince of Wales's Own, The Scinde Horse (About the 29th Lancers, Deccan Horse). Does anyone have this book and can scan for me the few pages about these events?

Does anyone have the War Diaries of: 4th Mounted Division, 11th Cavalry Brigade, Middlesex Yeomanry,  36th Jacob's Horse, 29th Lancers (Deccan Horse)? Does any of these include a map of the activities of September 23th?

Eran

Edited by Eran Tearosh

michaeldr
11 hours ago, Eran Tearosh said:

Michael was kind enough to send me the relevant pages from the 36th Jacob's Horse. I'm trying to find the relevant pages in Prince of Wales's Own, The Scinde Horse (About the 29th Lancers, Deccan Horse). Does anyone have this book and can scan for me the few pages about these events?

Eran,

Just to clarify - the four pages of scans which I sent you are titled '36th Jacob's Horse'

But in fact the chapter comes from the Col Maunsell's book 'Prince of Wales's Own, The Scinde Horse'

regards

Michael

Eran Tearosh

Thanks Michael, I wasn't aware of that. So weird!!

The 29th Lancers played an important role in the events of September 23rd on the west side of the Jordan River, including the VC action of Badlu Singh - 

and in their own book there's no reference to their own actions, including a VC? Strange!!

Thanks and best regards,

Eran

Steven Broomfield

I'll check out the Deccan Horse this evening

michaeldr

Thanks Steven

Steven Broomfield

Eran - if you PM me an e-mail address I will photograph (scanner's kaput) the relevant pages of the Royal Deccan Horse history, but I fear you will be disappointed, as Badlu Singh is only mentioned as having been killed and posthumously awarded a VC: there is no mention of him otherwise and not even a citation!

Yogi

Eran,

Risaldar Badlu Singh belonged to the squadron of the 14th Murray's Jat Lancers, which was disbanded in 1922 and its strength merged with 20 Lancers. Consequently their regimental history has been, by and large, ignored or missed out. Badlu Singh and the six who accompanied him in this charge belonged to Jhajjar Tehsil (now a District) of Haryana (then part of Punjab). His Victoria Cross is part of the Lord Ashcroft collection at the Imperial War Museum.

14th Murray's Jat Lancers was a cavalry unit with largest establishment in the then Indian Army. During WW 1 while the main body operated in NWFP (1914 - 1916) and Mesopotamia (1916 - 1918), one of its squadron (additional) was affiliated to 29 Lancers (DH) throughout the war. This was so because both the units recruited Hindu Jats. 14th Murray's Jat Lancers was a purely Hindu Jat unit which recruited its troops from Rohtak District of then Punjab and Meerut and Bullundshahr districts of United Province.        

Best regards

Yogi

michaeldr

Yogi,

Welcome to the GWF and thank you for the clarification which you have provided above

regards

Michael