Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Womens Land Army

Dee

Whilst I was at my parents' over the New Year, my dad lent me this picture of my gran in her Women's Land Army Uniform so that I could take a copy. The picture originally belonged to my Aunt (my dad's sister) who unfortunately died just before Christmas 2002 and so has never gotten to see the information I have found on her dad.

On the back of the picture my Aunt has written "mummy in the land army 1917". Additionally there is writing on the reverse of the picture that appears to have been written at the time it was produced which says "From yours sincerely one of the staff".

I have had a close look at the little badge attached to the neckerchief and it appears to be an RMLI sweetheart brooch. This indicates that it would possibly have been given to her by my granddad, who served with the RMLI. This is a great find for me as it means he knew her for a while before they married in Oct 1918.

I am chuffed to pieces to be able to have a copy of this and thought other forum members may like to have a look.

post-23-1073928174.jpg

I think this is a really lovely photo. You are very lucky.

It reminds me of a posting I did when I was just a corporal sprog. My brother in law's ex- mother in law (I joke not) is an elderly lady who was in the Land Army during WW2.

Se is getting rather forgetful and vague but when she starts talking about her days in the War, I always think thjat she should be recorded somehow. when she passes away, her memories go with her.

The same of course could be said for survivors of both WW1 & WW2!

Se is getting rather forgetful and vague but when she starts talking about her days in the War, I always think thjat she should be recorded somehow. when she passes away, her memories go with her.

Burlington ... this is a job for you ... oral history is the way forward but it has to be done NOW.

Personally I use a mini-disc player with an external microphone but I am sure you could find some suitable equipment very reasonably priced in the January sales ... failing that beg, borrow, or steal, but if you dont start recording the relatives (even yr b-in-l ex relatives) now you will regret it when they've gone.

Burlington

That's lovely, thank you.

I understand what you mean about your brother-in-law's ex mother-in-law's memories being recorded.

My Uncle (the husband of my Aunt who this picture belonged to) was in the Navy during WW2 and operated the landing craft at one of the beaches. He had never talked about his experiences to anyone before, however at my Aunt's funeral he just started talking about it all as thought it had only been yesterday and I really wished that I had a tape recorder with me as it was absolutely fascinating.

I am currently in talks with my dad to persuade my uncle to record it all for me (my Aunt & Uncle were my dad's surrogate parents after his mum and dad died), so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.