Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Cemetery & Extension, Somme

Derek Robertson

I'm guiding a bus load of locals to the battlefields in April.

One of the party lost her Grandfather at High Wood in 1916 and he has no known grave. He served as a Corporal in the 1st Battlaion Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

We are wanting to lay a wreath in his memory probably in London Cemetery.

I'd be delighted if someone who is visiting this cemetery in the next few weeks could identify a suitable "Unknown" grave for us to lay a wreath at e.g an "unknown Scottish Soldier" or "Unknown Cameronian".

In this way we could all focus on the wreath laying without having to find a grave first.

Thanks.

If you go into the main entrance to the cemetery, in the original plot of graves, go left to two unknown graves side by side. They are much newer headstones, and were laid to rest there a couple of years ago. Their bodies were discovered after some ploughing by a German member of this forum, who thanks to his quick action, saved them from being ploughed back in. Neither was identified, but talking to the local gardeners about it, the artifacts found with them indicated they were both Scottish soldiers. I attended their burial, along with a Scottish Great War enthusiast who was over at the time.

I will try and get a photo of the graves I am talking about and post it later this week.

Would seem a suitable place to have your act of remembrance?

Paul, that sounds an excellent suggestion.

If you do go to the cemetery this week could you get me the grave numbers?

Was there ever anything posted on this forum concerning the burials?

Thanks very much indeed. :D

They are the ones between the two Jewish headstones of London lads; you can see the Stars of David in the above photo (I hope).

This is a close up of the headstones; they do not say they are 'Unknown Scots', but I can assure they are.

post-19-1074274163.jpg

That is superb Paul, thank you very much for your help and time.

:D

Just a question though - why, if articles were found which indicated a Scottish connection, were the headstones not marked as "Unknown Scottish Soldiers"?

Not sure - it seemed a shame to me at the time, and I feel the same now. Perhaps Terry Denham can tell us what CWGC policy is on this?

Paul

I don't know the details of this case and so cannot comment on it.

The general policy is to include as much detail as can be confirmed with certainty.