Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd (County of London) Battalion, the London Regiment

westkent78

Matthew,

More of these to come, also an officer that was att'd to the 8th Rifle Brigade from the 23rd Londons but was injured in November 1917 has come up. A Captain William Arthur Solven, also spent some time in the labour corps and commanded the 181 Chinese Labour Corps. Let me know if you would like a copy of his record.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Im doing my family tree and have found a relation to William Arthur Solven... would you be able to send me a copy of his record?

Stephen

Working through the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers Roll of Honour, I have come across A R Brewin of Christchurch Mitcham (more commonly referred to as Colliers Wood these days). His unit is recorded on the roll as 23rd London Regt. Looking through the MICs, the best match I can find is Brewin, Alfred R, he actually started with 21st London, and ended up in 18th (London Irish). The Roll of Honour also states that he was wounded, which may explain one of the transfers - the MIC indicates that he was only eligible for a pair, on the London Irish rolls, TP18/101 B3 235 (WO 329/1937 by my reckoning), so if the wounding info is correct, it obviously wasn't serious enough for discharge. I haven't yet got up to him on my trawls through the surviving service records.

Turning to other sources, the best match in Mitcham seems to be Alfred Robert Brewin, in 1911 - 14, errand boy, private house, 1 ABERDEEN R MITCHAM, RG14PN3440 RG78PN129 RD39 SD6 ED20 SN171. With parents Robert William (40), machinery attendant (varnish filter attendant) and Louisa (35) b Upton Lovell Wilts married 15 years 3 children. And younger sisters Emma Louisa (12) and Gertrude Florence (8), both at school. And in 1901, 4, at 1 Aberdeen Terrace. With parents and one sister, also mother's sister, Ellen Viney. Father described as Donkey Pump Attendant In Varnish Works. Probably matches the 2nd Quarter 1896 birth in Croydon Registration District http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=lo5p8s9cYSRDEktHxVkRjw&scan=1, his parents having married the previous year, http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=ObuWJi3STrWVePwz87ZMQw&scan=1 http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=QngB%2FdEfZehhwHCYg%2BI2%2Fw&scan=1. He may have married in 1927, in Croydon RD, to Alice L Bennett, http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=dzDlt6nXAYxiIMMYWCkQSQ&scan=1 http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?cite=X5Pze%2BCGa4tZvBNbHUbccQ&scan=1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the information David. It doesn't look like Brewin's file has survived.

Does that roll of honour have any more 23rd London men on it?

Matthew

Hi Andy,

Im doing my family tree and have found a relation to William Arthur Solven... would you be able to send me a copy of his record?

Stephen

If you send me an email address I'll see what I can do. I think his file is something like 65 pages long, but much of it is redundant paperwork.

Matthew

Matthew,

Doesn't look like there are anymore 23rd London men on the info I have so far. What's slightly odd is that there are no ringers from St Mary's Battersea listed at all, although it falls under the Surrey Association (though you had to joni the asocaition as an individual, which may explain it). That would fall right int eh middle of the 23rd's recruiting area I beleive.

Hi Matthew

I am interested in Lewis Bernard Silverstein, a clerk in the Civil Service from Putney, who after service with the QVRs in France in 1914/15 appears to have been transferred to the 1/23 Londons and went back to France on 15 May 1916.

He died aged 19 on 16 September 1916 in the vicinity of High Wood.

He is listed in the British Jewry Book of Honour but without a photo.

A look up of anything you have on him would be much appreciated.

Andyp

I have just come across this thread and realised that I have a postcard sent by Lewis Bernard Silverstein to a fellow QVR soldier namely 2111- 390297 Pte George H Fielding. From the limited research that I have done, both men went overseas with the 1/9th Btn on 4th November 1914. Lewis Silverstein transferred to the 23rd London's on the 8th September 1916. Pte Fielding was killed in action on 1st July 1916. The postcard was sent from Tadworth Camp in Surrey on the 3rd July 1915 to an address in Hanwell, Middlesex.

post-6480-019279800 1294732022.jpg

post-6480-045900100 1294732120.jpg

Thanks for sharing the postcard. I assume you know his papers are available on Ancestry now.

He was compulsorily transferred to 1/23rd on 8th Sept but had effectively been serving with them since 17th June, part of a draft of around 40 men taken from 3/9th in England.

I can't quite work out why he was recalled from 1/9th in 1915 though. It doesn't appear as if he was wounded and there is a note in his file stating that he wasn't to be returned to BEF without specific W.O. Authority. Perhaps his occupation of Civil Service had something to do with it?

Although he gave his occupation as 'civil service' Louis Silverstein was an assistant clerk in the Receiver's Office at New Scotland Yard, the part of the organisation headed by professional and technical chaps whose main role was looking after the buildings owned by the police.

I have researched the 19 MP civil staff who died in the Great War (albeit without benefit of service records in many cases) and have not come across the 'WO authority' clause before. He was a clerk in the 1901 census. I wonder how he was described in 1911?

AndyP

Having a hard time finding him in 1901 or 1911, as he doesn't appear to be recorded with the rest of the family. Andy, are you sure about that reference in 1901 as he's supposedly 6 years old when the census was taken?

I wonder if the War Office Authority is to do with his heritage. It appears his father, Oscar, is German and mother Polish. Or perhaps it was his age?

Best regards,

Matthew

• 1 month later...

Hi Matthew

I have info and photos to add to your data.

My grandfather Cpl William Percival was in the 23rd and Joined 11/6/1914 , battersea as a terratorial No:1922

Took the soveriegn and marched from Battersea to Luton to go to France in 1914, im trying to peice together some rather hazy information on him.

He was made Kings Corporal at 17yrs of age in the field for some gallant action and was mentioned in despatches, he was badly injured during the Festubert action and had a very early metal plate put in his head

Any info would be appreciated and ill get the photos scanned, some very interesting of him and his pals during his hospital time

Regards

Gregory Percival

Edit, found this also in dispatches:

Onthe 24th and 25th May the 47th Division (2nd London Territorial)succeeded in taking some more of the enemy's trenches and making goodthe ground gained to the east and north. I had now reason to considerthat the battle, which was commenced by the First Army on the 9th Mayand renewed on the 16th, having attained for the moment the immediateobject I had in view, should not be further actively proceeded with;and I gave orders to Sir Douglas Haig to curtail his artillery attackand to strengthen and consolidate the ground he had won. In thebattle of Festubert above described the enemy was driven from aposition which was strongly entrenched and fortified, and ground waswon on a front of four miles to an average depth of 600 yards. Theenemy is known to have suffered very heavy losses, and in the courseof the battle 785 prisoners and 10 machine guns were captured. Anumber of machine guns were also destroyed by our fire.

Having a hard time finding him in 1901 or 1911, as he doesn't appear to be recorded with the rest of the family. Andy, are you sure about that reference in 1901 as he's supposedly 6 years old when the census was taken?

I wonder if the War Office Authority is to do with his heritage. It appears his father, Oscar, is German and mother Polish. Or perhaps it was his age?

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew

Do you have anything on Pte. Alfred Walkley (apart from the usual casualty roll info), 23rd Londons, KIA 16/09/16? His name has cropped up in some research I'm doing.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Matthew

I have info and photos to add to your data.

My grandfather Cpl William Percival was in the 23rd and Joined 11/6/1914 , battersea as a terratorial No:1922

Took the soveriegn and marched from Battersea to Luton to go to France in 1914, im trying to peice together some rather hazy information on him.

He was made Kings Corporal at 17yrs of age in the field for some gallant action and was mentioned in despatches, he was badly injured during the Festubert action and had a very early metal plate put in his head

Any info would be appreciated and ill get the photos scanned, some very interesting of him and his pals during his hospital time

Regards

Gregory Percival

Hello Gregory,

I think his service papers survive and are on ancestry in the "Pension Papers". Considering his wounds (GSW to feet, skull, arm and leg) I 'd say he was lucky to make it out alive and it's no wonder it took him a month to make it back to UK . I'd be very interested to see those photos of him recuperating with his pals.

He served in D Company.

How do you know that he was mentioned in despatches?

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew

Do you have anything on Pte. Alfred Walkley (apart from the usual casualty roll info), 23rd Londons, KIA 16/09/16? His name has cropped up in some research I'm doing.

Many thanks

Nick

Nick,

Not much. He probably joined 23rd London in late January 1916 and went to France in a draft on 15th July 1916. I think he's commemorated on the Cheltenham War Memorial. What do you have on him?

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew

Many thanks for the extra info. He was an estate worker at Lanhydrock House, Cornwall, prior to enlisting. I'm trying to narrow him down in the census returns - he was probably the individual born 1895, son of Alfred & Fanny.

Regards

Nick

Dear Matthew.

My uncle, Private William Patrick Richley 2861 served with "A" Coy. 1st/23rd Bn. London Regiment. and died on the 26th May 1915. I only have the details of his memorial, given to me by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, as Le Touret Memorial (Panels 45 or 46) in Pas de Calais. He was 23 years old when he died.

I should be most grateful for any details you may have about the Battalion's whereabouts at that time, or how my uncle may have died.I have a copy of his medals detail and I have a photograph of him in uniform and also a couple of letters that he wrote to his sister whilst at the front. I could certainly let you have copies if you would like to have them.

Hope this is useful. I have only just joined the forum and still a bit uncertain of procedure.

best wishes

Sophie

[.

quote name=westkent78' timestamp='1190908879' post='769245]

Some of you may be aware of this, but for those who aren't, I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the 23rd Londons in the Great War.

I currently have over 3,000 individuals identified and my nominal roll continues to grow each month, but there is definitely a long way to go.

Any information, however insignificant it may seem, is gratefully received.

If you are researching another regiment and come across someone who served for a period in the 23rd Londons I like to hear from you with any details you care to share.

I am also in a position to undertake look-ups in the war diary, regimental history and 47th Division History.

Matthew

Dear Matthew.

My uncle, Private William Patrick Richley 2861 served with "A" Coy. 1st/23rd Bn. London Regiment. and died on the 26th May 1915. I only have the details of his memorial, given to me by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, as Le Touret Memorial (Panels 45 or 46) in Pas de Calais. He was 23 years old when he died.

I should be most grateful for any details you may have about the Battalion's whereabouts at that time, or how my uncle may have died.I have a copy of his medals detail and I have a photograph of him in uniform and also a couple of letters that he wrote to his sister whilst at the front. I could certainly let you have copies if you would like to have them.

Hope this is useful. I have only just joined the forum and still a bit uncertain of procedure.

best wishes

Sophie

Hello Sophie,

Welcome to the forum.

It appears that his service papers haven't survived but from his number he probably enlisted on 12th or 13th September 1914. He was a stock exchange clerk at the time. He was killed in the attack at Givenchy where the 1/23rd London suffered around 500 casualties in a charge capturing a trench line and then holding it all day, exposed to artillery and machine gun fire with little chance of response. Coincidentally I have a copy of a photo of "Rich" and three of his pals taken in St. Albans and an account written by one of his friends which describes the experience at Givenchy, and includes how "Rich" died, which another member kindly shared with me. I'll share them with you if you are able to pm me your email.

I'd definitely like to get those copies and see the photo as it all provides information on the mindset of the battalion in the early days.

Best regards,

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Matthew,

I am now typing a copy of my uncle's letters from the front, as I fear the original scans I sent you yesterday are almost illegible,but hope you got them OK. Thank you so much for offering to let me have the photo and the account mentioned below. I am most grateful to you

sincerely Sophie[

quote name=westkent78' timestamp='1299102106' post='1557921]

Hello Sophie,

Welcome to the forum.

It appears that his service papers haven't survived but from his number he probably enlisted on 12th or 13th September 1914. He was a stock exchange clerk at the time. He was killed in the attack at Givenchy where the 1/23rd London suffered around 500 casualties in a charge capturing a trench line and then holding it all day, exposed to artillery and machine gun fire with little chance of response. Coincidentally I have a copy of a photo of "Rich" and three of his pals taken in St. Albans and an account written by one of his friends which describes the experience at Givenchy, and includes how "Rich" died, which another member kindly shared with me. I'll share them with you if you are able to pm me your email.

I'd definitely like to get those copies and see the photo as it all provides information on the mindset of the battalion in the early days.

Best regards,

Matthew

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Matthew,

I have just discovered a relative whoserved in the 23rd london Regt and susequently the East Surry Regt. He is 4027 & 26616 Pte Arthur John Simpson. His service records are available, although he attested 10.3.17 he spent quite some time in UK and was with the BEF 30.3.18 to 27.8.18. At some point recieving a gunshot wound to the chest.

I have not fully deciphered his record yet but I think he started at 51st Trg Reserve (or even Queens RWS) then 1/23rd Londons and East Surry Regt. He apppears to have finished up in Ireland.

Any additional info you have would be most welcome, likewise if I uncover any further information I would be more than happy to pass it on if you wish.

Thanks

Rgds Mick S

Edit: Wounded 22.8.18 Admitted 1st Southern Gen Hosp 28.8.18. Discharged "fit for Comd Depot" 3.10.18 granted 1 week furlough.

Hello Mick,

Thanks for getting in touch. These late war men are definitely harder to pin down for me, so it's always great when I find one with surviving papers. It looks like he originally enlisted in 23rd Training Reserve Bn, then went to 51st Training Reserve Bn which was affiliated with the Queens. He's posted to the BEF and allocated to the East Surreys who then transfer him to 1/23rd London. I doubt if he ever served with the East Surreys and simply went from whichever Infantry Depot he was at in France straight to 1/23rd.

It appears he was wounded in the attack by 142nd Bde across Happy Valley on the Somme. The war diary for 1/23rd estimated casualties at 12 Officers and 261 men, which they describe as "moderately heavy".

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew

Thanks for your information. Do you have a copy of the diary the period he would have been wounded that you could send?

I have attached a photo that I am pretty sure (but not 100%) is him.

Rgds Mick

post-56122-0-53023200-1301931336.jpg

Matthew

Works fine, thanks very much.

Rgds

Mick S

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the information David. It doesn't look like Brewin's file has survived.

Does that roll of honour have any more 23rd London men on it?

Matthew

If you send me an email address I'll see what I can do. I think his file is something like 65 pages long, but much of it is redundant paperwork.

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Sorry for the very late reply!! my email is steve4900@gmail.com

If you could send me the file it it would be great!!

Thank a lot!

Stephen

• 6 months later...

I have read all the posts on the subject of the 23rd Battalion and wonder if you can help me solve my own little mystery. My GGfather was Frederick Snelling born in Battersea in 1887 and served with the 23rd Battalion as a Colour Sargeant Major. His number was 692. I know that he won medals at Bisley for shooting and was a member of the School of Musketry. I have not managed to find a medal card so I have to assume that he never went abroad. Would this mean that he was teaching soldiers to shoot. He died of the Flu Epidemic while at Corsham and is buried at St Mary's in Battersea. Any information you have will be useful.

• 4 weeks later...

I have read all the posts on the subject of the 23rd Battalion and wonder if you can help me solve my own little mystery. My GGfather was Frederick Snelling born in Battersea in 1887 and served with the 23rd Battalion as a Colour Sargeant Major. His number was 692. I know that he won medals at Bisley for shooting and was a member of the School of Musketry. I have not managed to find a medal card so I have to assume that he never went abroad. Would this mean that he was teaching soldiers to shoot. He died of the Flu Epidemic while at Corsham and is buried at St Mary's in Battersea. Any information you have will be useful.

Hello,

Sorry I missed this post initially. For your information it looks like he originally enlisted between 15th-17th February 1909. As far as I can see he never went overseas, certainly he didn't do it with 23rd London, and on the Commonwealth War Graves he's listed as attached to the National Rifle Association School of Musketry.

I think this thread should explain a bit of what your GGfather did. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=122696

Best regards,

Matthew