Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd (County of London) Battalion, the London Regiment

westkent78

Matt,

Captain Solven's record all sent, have fun with it.

Andy

Thanks very much Andy. A small file there!

Certainly didn't expect any 23rd London Officers to be serving with something as exotic as the Chinese Labour Corps.

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew - just back after going to Salonika, only 64 pp pf new posts to go through. Found a couple of headstones for your men - will send once I have sorted out the hundreds of photos. regards

Charles

Small file there Matt, as you say. Glad that your e-mail inbox was large enough to take it.

Andy

post-1871-1191706001.jpg

Dave,

Found the picture and it certainly looks like a 23rd London badge. Great photo.

5542/702318 Pte. Robert Meirion Roberts would have been in 2/23rd all his time overseas, although judging by the men with service numbers around his- and his place of origin- the likelihood is that he originally enlisted into the R.A.M.C. and was transferred to the 2/23rd prior to their going overseas. (The 60th Division received a considerable number of RAMC transferees to use as infantrymen).

Could you please pm me his brothers' service details for my records and anything else you can share about Robert?

Hope this helps,

Matthew

I Know little about Robert except as above. I believe at some point he was in Kut but I dont think he was besieged there. I was surprised that he may have started off in the RAMC, I am not sure where he enlisted. My grandfather william started as a territorial in the cheshire regiment and later somehow ended up in the London/west surrey regiment.

Regards

David

• 2 weeks later...

David,

Thanks for that. Would be interesting to know if he did indeed go to Kut on secondment as the 2/23rd were on the Palestine front against the Turks. As to where he may have enlisted, most of the men who transferred from the RAMC to the 2/23rd and were casualties appear to have enlisted in their own locality, so I would not think it would be any different for your relative.

Charles & Andy,

A public thank you for going above and beyond.

Best regards,

Matthew

• 1 year later...

Back from my absence from the forum and can now announce that the database is back on track, although not moving as quickly as I'd like.

It's now up to over 5,300 men and 225 Officers so I suspect there is still a fair way to go.

Due to a recent trip to the NA (as Andy can attest when he saw me feverishly taking photos) I now have the medal rolls of 23rd London [1914/15, BWM & VM, TFWM] and the 21st London BWM roll. I also have the war diaries for both 1/23rd and 2/23rd as well as select extracts from 142nd Bde, so if anyone needs a look up then ask away.

As always, if you come across any 23rd Londons in your own research I'd like to know the details.

Best regards,

Matthew

Hi Matthew

One of my 'Holsworthy Boys' was in the 1/23rd and I include the Book of Remembrance extract below -

I have a photograph of him as well which you are more than welcome to a copy of if you wish. he was KIA on 26 May 1915.

Hope it's of some help

Kind regards

Shawn

Reginald Alfred Yeo

Sergeant. 23rd London Regiment.

Killed in Action 1915. Aged 24 years.

Eldest son of Mr and Mrs Alfred Yeo of Albion House, Holsworthy.

Civilian Life.

Reg was educated at Camelford Grammar School and after serving an apprenticeship with John Yeo & Co. Ltd, Plymouth, he joined a London Wholesale [drapery] firm, Foster Porter & Co. He was a very keen sportsman and full of life, ready for any adventure.

Service Life.

He was working in London when war was declared. He at once volunteered for the army and was with the first Territorial units to be sent to France. He was promoted to sergeant and was the first Holsworthy man to be killed in action. He was a bachelor but was engaged to be married.

Some of you may be aware of this, but for those who aren't, I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the 23rd Londons in the Great War.

I currently have over 3,000 individuals identified and my nominal roll continues to grow each month, but there is definitely a long way to go.

Any information, however insignificant it may seem, is gratefully received.

If you are researching another regiment and come across someone who served for a period in the 23rd Londons I like to hear from you with any details you care to share.

I am also in a position to undertake look-ups in the war diary, regimental history and 47th Division History.

Matthew

Hi Matthew

One of my 'Holsworthy Boys' was in the 1/23rd and I include the Book of Remembrance extract below -

I have a photograph of him as well which you are more than welcome to a copy of if you wish. he was KIA on 26 May 1915.

Hello Shawn,

Thanks for that.

Looks like he joined his 'local' regiment as he was living in Clapham Junction when he signed up (23rd London's HQ was at St. John's Hill, Clapham Junction). It appears he attested for 23rd London on either 26th or 27th August 1914, and was serving in D Coy.

I'd definitely like a copy of his photograph- I'll pm you my email address.

Best regards,

Matthew

No problem - I'll send a pic of his memorial in the local church too..

Hello Shawn,

Thanks for that.

Looks like he joined his 'local' regiment as he was living in Clapham Junction when he signed up (23rd London's HQ was at St. John's Hill, Clapham Junction). It appears he attested for 23rd London on either 26th or 27th August 1914, and was serving in D Coy.

I'd definitely like a copy of his photograph- I'll pm you my email address.

Best regards,

Matthew

Some of you may be aware of this, but for those who aren't, I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the 23rd Londons in the Great War.

I currently have over 3,000 individuals identified and my nominal roll continues to grow each month, but there is definitely a long way to go.

Any information, however insignificant it may seem, is gratefully received.

If you are researching another regiment and come across someone who served for a period in the 23rd Londons I like to hear from you with any details you care to share.

I am also in a position to undertake look-ups in the war diary, regimental history and 47th Division History.

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Bertie Starr Burleigh (sometimes known as George Bertie Starr Burleigh and Bertie Starr Bennett-Burleigh) joined the 23rd Londons as a Private and went to France on 14 March 1915.

His MIC is very confused, it appears that it was the MIC of Private George Bertie Burleigh, 5th Bn Suffolk Regiment, 243078, enlisted 27 May 1913, discharged 10 October 1917, then Bertie's details are added in red ink, namely and S next to the Bertie, the 23rd London Regiment, his number 1672, Private and the date he went to France. As Bertie was born in 1897, I think it is unlikely that he enlisted in 1913. He lived with his parents in Clapham so the 23rd Londons would be a local battalion.

There was a cutting in the Observer of 1 October 1916 about "Corporal George Bennett Burleigh" speaking to the King and Queen at the Edward VII Hospital about his narrow escape from death after "killing 11 Huns" etc. Is it possible that he was involved in the attack on High Wood.

Bertie, survived the war, he was the son of Bennet Burleigh the Daily Telegraph's war correspondent (I have done postings about Bertie's three brothers on the Forum, they served in the Lancashire Fusiliers, RFC and Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders)

Moriaty

MAtthew

I have two members of the Polytechnic who died serving with 23rd London

Private Edward Charles Hampton 1st/23rd

Private Claude Stewart Bentman 2nd/23rd

I'll collate the details I have for them if you haven't got them already

Hello moriaty,

Thanks for the background.

I can see he's going to be a tough one to track down with all those different versions of his name.

The MIC is his SWB entry which is why it's to 5th Suffolks. All the medal roll references are for the Suffolk rolls so unfortunately I don't have anything on him yet, but I think his medals would all be named to 23rd London. He did indeed attest on 27th May 1913 (#1673's papers survive and confirm this), so he was a very young recruit.

If I'm understanding this correctly it looks likely that he went over to France with 1/23rd on 14th Mar 1915 and then he's back in England at least prior to Oct. The logical event causing him to be in hospital would be High Wood, certainly that's the only event where he could have got at "11 huns". I have located some Times casualty lists for this event so I'll have to see if he's mentioned. Do you have a copy of the Observer article?

He must have transferred to 5th Suffolk post Dec 1916 as otherwise he'd have a 7***** series number, and I'd imagine he remained in England with either 2/5th or 3/5th rather than go out to Egypt to join 1/5th.

Best regards,

Matthew

MAtthew

I have two members of the Polytechnic who died serving with 23rd London

Private Edward Charles Hampton 1st/23rd

Private Claude Stewart Bentman 2nd/23rd

I'll collate the details I have for them if you haven't got them already

Hello Tony,

Yes, I'd be interested in any details you have on either of them outside of CWGC, SDITGW and MIC.

Hampton has proved a bit of a conundrum as CWGC has him as Edwin, as does his MIC, whereas SDITGW has Edward. FreeBMD also has Edwin. CWGC & SDITGW lists 26/5/15 as his date of death but his MIC has 27/9/15. The medal roll has Edwin and a date of death of 26/5/15. I'm inclined to think his name was Edwin and DoD 26/5/15.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly was "The Polytechnic" at this time?

Best regards,

Matthew

Hello WestKent78

Thanks for the interesting response on Bertie Burleigh, he was born July/Sept 1897, was "asked to leave" the City of London Boys School in February 1912 (and his parents couldnt get him into another school), enlisted on 27 May 1913 aged not quite 16, and then went to France on 14 March 1915 when he was just under 18.

So, from what you are saying, you think he enlisted with the 23rd Londons and then later joined the Suffolks?

I'll send you a PM with the Observer piece.

Moriaty

Hello WestKent78

Thanks for the interesting response on Bertie Burleigh, he was born July/Sept 1897, was "asked to leave" the City of London Boys School in February 1912 (and his parents couldnt get him into another school), enlisted on 27 May 1913 aged not quite 16, and then went to France on 14 March 1915 when he was just under 18.

So, from what you are saying, you think he enlisted with the 23rd Londons and then later joined the Suffolks?

I'll send you a PM with the Observer piece.

Moriaty

Hello Moriaty,

Thanks for the Observer piece. Very interesting.

As I explained in the pm I think he was transferred to the Suffolks, probably because of his wounds, and was put on Home Service only until his discharge.

Best regards,

Matthew

Hello Tony,

Yes, I'd be interested in any details you have on either of them outside of CWGC, SDITGW and MIC.

Hampton has proved a bit of a conundrum as CWGC has him as Edwin, as does his MIC, whereas SDITGW has Edward. FreeBMD also has Edwin. CWGC & SDITGW lists 26/5/15 as his date of death but his MIC has 27/9/15. The medal roll has Edwin and a date of death of 26/5/15. I'm inclined to think his name was Edwin and DoD 26/5/15.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what exactly was "The Polytechnic" at this time?

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew should have obits on bioth of them from the POlytchnic magazine and a photo for Bentman. Will loook them out over the next couple of weeks and PM you.

The Polytechnic was a multifacted instituiton, had a school, ran 'vocational' training courses and had a thriviing social, cultural and sporting scene - the obits should tell us their connection, certainly Hampton is a member of the Polytchnic Athletics Club.

Matthew should have obits on bioth of them from the POlytchnic magazine and a photo for Bentman. Will loook them out over the next couple of weeks and PM you.

The Polytechnic was a multifacted instituiton, had a school, ran 'vocational' training courses and had a thriviing social, cultural and sporting scene - the obits should tell us their connection, certainly Hampton is a member of the Polytchnic Athletics Club.

Sounds very interesting Tony. I'll look forward to seeing whatever you can dig up on them.

Best regards,

Matthew

I have 2765 Pte. C.E.Margetts went to France 14/3/15, any imformation welcomed.

Confirmed on the 1914/15 Star roll. No comments next to his name other than date of entry 14/3/15 which indicates service with 1/23rd. His MIC also confirms this, but does not have his British War Medal or Victory Medal roll references. He doesn't appear in the 23rd London roll so I assume that he transferred to another regiment and appears on their roll. There is a C.E.Margetts in the Rifle Brigade entitled to a pair who might be a candidate but the C.E.Margetts in the ASC is not the 23rd London man.

He attested for 23rd London on 8th September 1914, but it doesn't look like his papers have survived.

Hope this helps. What is your interest in this man?

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

My Grandfather served with "A Coy" 1/23 London. 5999 Pte William George Huxley. He was attested on the 2/12/15 and was mobilised on the 14/6/16. He was posted to France on the 04/01/17. He was wounded during the attack at Ypres - Comines Canal on the 07/06/17, with gunshot wounds to his right ankle. He was not recovered until the following day and layed in a shell hole with his right foot hanging off. He was returned to the UK on the 22/06/17 and was finally discharged on the 16/08/18 "No longer physicaly fit for war service". This was after he had his right leg amputated at the knee. After the war he joined the GPO as a telephonist and was awarded ISM in 1944.

I have his medals and have posted a scan of them.

I hope this will add a little to your register.

Cheers,

Mike

post-19256-1227561093.jpg

Confirmed on the 1914/15 Star roll. No comments next to his name other than date of entry 14/3/15 which indicates service with 1/23rd. His MIC also confirms this, but does not have his British War Medal or Victory Medal roll references. He doesn't appear in the 23rd London roll so I assume that he transferred to another regiment and appears on their roll. There is a C.E.Margetts in the Rifle Brigade entitled to a pair who might be a candidate but the C.E.Margetts in the ASC is not the 23rd London man.

He attested for 23rd London on 8th September 1914, but it doesn't look like his papers have survived.

Hope this helps. What is your interest in this man?

Matthew

Thanks for the imformation Matthew,my interest is i have C.E.Margetts medals.

Regards Rupe.

Thanks for the information and the picture Mike, a great help. Sounds like a very brave man.

Let me know if you need any medal roll look-ups for any of your other 23rd London groups (saw a thread on Picklehaubes.com mentioning your collecting to 23rd a while back but have only just put 2 and 2 together) Are you also on BMF, your great-uncle looks very familiar from on there too? Just in case you don't have it all- although it sounds like you do- your grandfather's papers are on Ancestry now.

Best regards,

Matthew

Thanks for the imformation Matthew,my interest is i have C.E.Margetts medals.

Regards Rupe.

Rupe,

I assume that you have his 1914/15 trio. Are all his medals named to him as 23-Lond? I'll keep my eyes open for any mention of him as I continue my research.

I've been playing around with FreeBMD and I think I have him limited to three candidates, all called Charles.

They are:

Charles Edward Margetts. Birth registered Wandsworth Dec 1892

Charles Ernest Margetts. Birth registered Paddington Dec 1893

Charles Edward Margetts. Birth registered Poplar Jun 1899.

Of the three I'd be inclined to think the Wandsworth candidate is the 23rd man because of recruitment location and the ASC man is Charles Ernest. The Poplar man looks to be too young to be enlisting in 1914 and actually making it to F&F with the battalion.

Of course this is all contingent on his name actually being Margetts and him not using an alias, which may be a possibility if his BWM & VM MIC can't be found.

best regard,

Matthew

Thanks for the information and the picture Mike, a great help. Sounds like a very brave man.

Let me know if you need any medal roll look-ups for any of your other 23rd London groups (saw a thread on Picklehaubes.com mentioning your collecting to 23rd a while back but have only just put 2 and 2 together) Are you also on BMF, your great-uncle looks very familiar from on there too? Just in case you don't have it all- although it sounds like you do- your grandfather's papers are on Ancestry now.

Best regards,

Matthew

Matthew, your right, I did post a few mentions of my Grandfathers history on Picklehaubes.com (what's your name on there?) and I'm also on BMF. I have both my Grandfathers service papers and my Great Uncles ... lucky that they survived eh?

Another pair that I have for the 23rd London are to Pte Frederick J Porter 6600. Later with the 21st London as 653090 He was only entitled to the pair. His records, as far as I know have not survived. However, I do have his medals, still in their original box and in the envelope sent to his address, which unfortunatly has been torn off. Along with this grouping I received his 1930 Driving Licence that had his address as 18a Malyons Road, Ladywell, SE13 and a 1947/48 Clothing Book that shows his address as 119, Hurst Road, Sidcup, Kent.

If you have anything further on him I would love to know.

Cheers,

Mike