Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Boulogne Eastern Cemetery

Stephen White

in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery where George White is buried.all the WW1 headstones are lying flat in groups of three.the WW2 headstones are all up-right why is this ??.

does this mean that as the WW1 headstones are in groups of three,that there are three servicemen per grave ??.i have a couple of photo's showing this,i can post this later,when i get home.(decided to have some forum time in the library for a change).

STEVEN :unsure:

As Langley says, search the forum as this subject has been well covered many times including photos.

Basically, they are flat due to the unstable nature of the soil and there are three casualties to a grave.

Steven - somewhere I have a wartime photo of the cemetery with wooden crosses, which I will post here for you later today - if I can find it!

PAUL.

excellent photo,looks to be taken more or less from the same place as mine,during my last visit.i see the hedge seperating the civilian from the military cemetery was there even then,

STEVEN :)

post-19-1073936424.jpg

Have visited this cemetery many many times, my Great Great Uncle Lance Cpl WEG Thompson, 9th Lancers is buried there.

post-19-1074007179.jpg

MATT. i only discovered that George was buried at Boulogne in MAY 2001.it was september of that year before i could get out there,i last went out in February 2002.his headstone was in VERY poor condition.but after correspondance with CWGC a replacement was organised for july 2002.unfortunately circumstances have prevented me from going out,(so far) to view the new headstone.

unlike yourself i still don't have a photograph of George to go with the name,on his headstone.so in many respects he is still just a name.

what's your Great Uncles plot no,interested to see where he is buried in relation to George ??

STEVEN :unsure:

Steven,

Lance Corporal 6699 William Edwin Griffith Thompson, C Squadron, 9th Lancers, DOW 6th November 1914, III.B.39

His headstone was also in a terrible state and practically illegible....I haven't been there for about 18 months so I'm not certain if it's been replaced yet. Thankfully I have a photo from when it wasn't in such a bad state.

MATT.

George is in III D 45.same plot.but a different row.i'm hoping to get out to france again this year and will be checking on George's new headstone.i'll look up your Great Great Uncle as well.if there's a new stone i'll photograph it for you.that's unless you get out there before me,if you do could you take a photo of Georges new headstone for me ??.

while i was writing to the CWGC they told me that all headstones are inspected on a 6 year cycle,and are repaired/replaced as nesseccary.they also said that 5000 per year are re-ingraved to improve legibility.it might be an idea to contact the CWGC,France Area,Rue Angele Richard,62217,Beaurains,France.to check when your Great Great Uncles stone was last inspected and when it's due for re-ingraving/replacement.i was writing /e-mailing Roger Bird,works manager for the director.i found him to be very helpful.

TERRY

your right it would be quicker.i forget sometimes that when i started this research i didn't have access to a computer and had to do everthing by post !!

Steven,

Thanks, very kind of you, will probably not be going until the Somme trip planned for May.

Whoever gets there first, let the other one know!

Matt

It will be quicker to email CWGC's France Area Office on faoffice@cwgc.org to ascertain the status of the worn headstone.

Steven............Just to add to Terry's suggestion..........I have recently had dealings with this office via email................and they were absolutely brilliant..... efficient, helpful & understanding.............I'm sure you will get the information you need in just a few days...........they really are that good