Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VERDUN

Malte Znaniecki

Subject: A German sniper. On his left the remains of a French soldier.

Space of time: 1916

Source: Archives M. Znaniecki

post-7367-1191247026.jpg

Malte,

Excellent pics as always. Here are some from Aug 27-31 2007.

post-7038-1190941129.jpg

Fleury Village

post-7038-1190941245.jpg

Inside the Douaumont Ossuary

I think the sepia pictures on the first page are stills from the film made at the end of the 20s. The famous picture of the young fellow with the big helmet and the empty eyes is said to have been taken at Passchendaele, not Verdun. The photo of the Germans coming out of the Bussiere gun turret at Fort Souville is definitely not an action shot, unless they were already prisoners and being taken away. I've no French or German records of any of them actually inside Ft. Souville. But it's all fascinating stuff and given an idea of what conditions were like, which is what the film tried to do (and for which it used veterans).

Swine, that's a wonderful picture of the inside of the Ossuary.

Christina

Thanks Christina, that one turned out better than I expected. Here is the next set of pics.post-7038-1191031808.jpg

Fort Douaumont

post-7038-1191031938.jpg

Fort Douaumont Observation

post-7038-1191032014.jpg

Ossuary from Thiaumont

post-7038-1191032099.jpg

Fort Vaux

They're really great pictures.

Did you see they've put lamp standards in the fort car parks? Can't think why since the forts are closed when it's dark. They were great places for stars before they put the lamps up.

Christina

Malte & Swine: thank you for sharing these remarkable photographs!

Can't think why since the forts are closed when it's dark. They were great places for stars before they put the lamps up.

Christina

Christina: thank heaven for true romantics...

Yes Christina I saw the Lights. Only thing I could figure out is it is for security reasons.

I would have liked to have more of the casement rooms marked (what level and use, more informative than the posted signs) so that I could have followed along in your excellent book better. Oh well maybe for the next trip someday.

The stars are still wonderful from the top of Froideterre. You can see the Milky Way from there. I hadn't seen it for years.

The dearth of information inside the fort is really sad. I hope you could follow my book. I spent days and days working out how to make it clear to a visitor who didn't know where to go. Clear to me isn't necessarily clear to a visitor.

Christina

Christina,

your book was fine, it was the orientation within the fort that was giving me a hard time. We went inside Froideterre and saw lots of bats in the central hallway! How far can one go if you have a good light.

Subject: From the caption: "Kampf auf Höhe TOTER MANN" (Combat on hill MORT HOMME)

Space of time: 1916-1917

post-7367-1191247337.jpg

Malte,

Just so people are clear--aren't some of the photos you've posted stills from films made after the war??

Paul

Hi Paul,

I still don't know but it seems like this. Christina also made suggestions like that. I think you both would be right. The photo's are from a series of postcards from between the wars. Unfortunately the legends were cutted away but I have got the german texts from their back.

Some photos really seem like taken from a post war film - especially those showing night-scenes.

Malte

Subject: From the caption: "Denkmal des Deputierten André Thome (10. März 1916)"

Space of time: post WW 1

post-7367-1191250689.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Fort de VAUX (Nordgraben)"

post-7367-1191251620.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "Fort de VAUX (Südteil)"

post-7367-1191251748.jpg

Hi Paul,

I still don't know but it seems like this. Christina also made suggestions like that. I think you both would be right. The photo's are from a series of postcards from between the wars. Unfortunately the legends were cutted away but I have got the german texts from their back.

Some photos really seem like taken from a post war film - especially those showing night-scenes.

Malte

Malte,

Ah, so she did--I missed that. I think they are from Poirier's movie.

Paul

Subject: From the caption: "Erinnerung an die letzte Brieftaube von Fort de VAUX" (Memorial to the last pigeon of Fort VAUX)

post-7367-1191251912.jpg

Subject: From the caption: "24 cm Marinegeschütz an der Schlucht von GRANDS HOYERS in der Nähe von Fort VAUX"

post-7367-1191252136.jpg