Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

History of the 11th (Lewisham) Btn Royal West Kent Regiment.

Longboat

I have a copy of this book which belonged to my Grandfather who served with the 11th West Kents until wounded in October 1916. He has put his own comments in the margins. Would be happy to reply to any enquires.

Are these extensive comments? Would be interested in all of them and a photo and details of your Gfthr if possible. In process of producing a QORWK database.

Regards,

Jon S

Are these extensive comments? Would be interested in all of them and a photo and details of your Gfthr if possible. In process of producing a QORWK database.

Regards,

Jon S

Not extensive comments, but some interesting ones about a trench raid and the deliberate wounding of one of thier own officers. Also have photo's and a couple of sketches as he was a bit of an artist.

Regards,

Longboat.

The officer in question is Captain A.E. Dickinson, commander of 'D' Company. The event took place in the opening moments of the Battle of Flers, the first time the 11th West Kents had "been over the top."

Captain R.O. Russell writes, "Three Company Commanders, Major Heron (wounded), Captain Culley (killed), and Captain Dickinson (wounded) were early casulties, and the greater proportion of the Company Officers were also hit."

My grandfather has underlined Captain Dickinson's name and in the margin written, "shot in buttocks by a member of D, coy cheers all Round!"

To give you some idea of the character of Captain Dickinson I'll qoute Capt. Russell from the official history, "Captain Dickinson had done much right from the early days to bring his company up to effciency. A stern disciplinarian, in fact almost a martinet, he took his job as a soldier extremely seriously. and expected from those under his command that same application to their duty...one can hardly think of "Dicky" without associating him with his charger, Ajax, trotting up and down his company when on the move."

In the latter years of his life my grandfather opened up a little about his time in the war and when questioned about this episode by my mother (his daughter) he would just laugh and say he got what he deserved.

Hope this is of some use,

kind regards

Longboat.

Longboat

My Great Grandfathers youngest brother served as Pte William Henry James Humphries G9996 11th Bn Queens own Royal West Kents Died of Wounds Enlisted Lewisham Resident Lee. No known Grave but remembered on Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 11 C.. Seems to have been wounded in attack on Gird Lines on October 7th 1916 , after getting through Flers unscathed. Wouldn't be a mention of him I suppose :rolleyes: or possibly photo of whole Battailion :)

Alan

Longboat

My Great Grandfathers youngest brother served as Pte William Henry James Humphries G9996 11th Bn Queens own Royal West Kents Died of Wounds Enlisted Lewisham Resident Lee. No known Grave but remembered on Thiepval Memorial Pier and Face 11 C.. Seems to have been wounded in attack on Gird Lines on October 7th 1916 , after getting through Flers unscathed. Wouldn't be a mention of him I suppose :rolleyes: or possibly photo of whole Battailion :)

Alan

Alan,

I will gladly look up Pte W.H.J Humphries although the chances of him being mentioned are minimal. Would you know which company he served in by any chance? The only photo's in the book are of Officers and N.C.O's taken at Aldershot in the spring of 1916 although I distinctly remember my grandfather having a photograph of his whole platoon (No13 Platoon, 'D' Company) but sadly it has been lost. Just give me a little time as I am new to the forum and my 8 month pregnant wife insists she comes first,

regards

Longboat.

Hi Alan

I note you're London based. If you're not too distant from Lewisham and fancy actually browsing the book yourself I know there is a copy in the Local Studies Room at Lewisham Library.

Good hundting

Andyp

The officer in question is Captain A.E. Dickinson, commander of 'D' Company. The event took place in the opening moments of the Battle of Flers, the first time the 11th West Kents had "been over the top."

Thanks for this and the reminiscences from your G/fthr. I would be interested in the other snipets your G/fthr entered in the book - all in due course when you have the time.

Many thanks in advance,

Jon S

Longboat,

I've been following this thread with interest also. Thanks for sharing.

Any more snippets would be most welcome- time permitting of course.

Best regards,

Matthew

Longboat

No sorry, don't know, what company and only found out about him during the last year. Was really hoping you had more references to the attack on Gird lines in October, from your Grandfathers comments. Did visit Lewisham Archives and looked thro book also local papers on microfilm, for anything, but without any luck ( you would think that the Bn would have got more coverage in the local press).

Alan

Alan,

Here's a quote from the official history after the 11th R.W.K had moved forward to the front line trenches on the night of 3/4th October.

"The continued bad weather was responsible for a delay in the attack and for three and a half days the battalion suffered not only from the rigours and hardships caused by the rain and mud, but it was subjected to severe and continuous shelling. Casulties were numerous during this period of waiting and the difficulties of evacuating the wounded were great. Moreover, our previous shelling and recent attacks had inflicted on the enemy colossal casulties. The whole area was literally covered with dead, the trenches were filled with them and it was impossible to walk without treading on corpses, whilst the parapets and parados were, to a great degree, formed of dead bodies."

Maybe it was while the 11th West Kents were waiting to attack that Pte Humphries was wounded. The picture painted by Captain Russell conjures up all the worst images of the Western Front.

My grandfather wrote a 10 page journal about his experience of this part of the battle although I am not to sure which part of the forum to post it on. In the book he has drawn on the map where he was hit and disagrees with Captain Russell about the formation of the attack. He also blames "thick headed staff officers," for the massive losses that the battalion suffered.

regards

Longboat.

Longboat

Many thanks for this and I would love to see the journal. Did manage to find service records for William, but this only really consists of attestation form and a couple of letters from Army re: medals and plaque.

Alan

Alan,

Afraid there is no mention of Pte W.H.J Humphries in the Battalion History except in the Roll of Honour which starts with these words,

"Comrades, who sleep on Flanders Plains,

On billowy Somme, Italia's breast,

Ye gave your all, in Honour's Name-

We, living, salute ye in your Rest !"

Longboat.

Thanks for posting this fascinating info Longboat. It paints a slightly different view of the officer/men relationship to 'official' version in the battalion history! Alan, I live in Lee - do you have an address for your relative?

cheers

Gilbert

• 7 months later...

Hi All

I am researching my Gt Uncle GEORGE DOWDING (Lance Corporal G/8827) who served with 11 Bn QORWK and was KIA 15/09/1916.

Came across this post and was wondering if any of you have any information available that might be of help.

Many thanks

Sue

Hi All

I am researching my Gt Uncle GEORGE DOWDING (Lance Corporal G/8827) who served with 11 Bn QORWK and was KIA 15/09/1916.

Came across this post and was wondering if any of you have any information available that might be of help.

Many thanks

Sue

Sue,

Number 8826 enlisted on 5 July 1915 and normally I would expect 8827 (George Dowding) to have enlisted same day. 11th Bttn was a "local" raised bttn and was not taken over by War Office until it was at its full establishment. For this reason I do not currently know if men enlisting in the "Lewisham" bttn were given a number from a block, and, therefore, were not sequential to the numbering issued at the depot (a review of the "salvaged" service records on Ancestry should confirm). The 11th was not formally part of the QORWK until November 1915.

In May 1916 the 11th Bttn corssed to France with 41st Div and was first inducted into trench warfare around the Plugstreet area.

Their first big action was sadly 15th Sept 1916 on the Somme. They were part of the offensive against Flers in unison with the first use of tanks.

I hope this helps. Would you have a photo of George Dowding for my QORWK database?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Sue,

Number 8826 enlisted on 5 July 1915 and normally I would expect 8827 (George Dowding) to have enlisted same day. 11th Bttn was a "local" raised bttn and was not taken over by War Office until it was at its full establishment. For this reason I do not currently know if men enlisting in the "Lewisham" bttn were given a number from a block, and, therefore, were not sequential to the numbering issued at the depot (a review of the "salvaged" service records on Ancestry should confirm). The 11th was not formally part of the QORWK until November 1915.

In May 1916 the 11th Bttn corssed to France with 41st Div and was first inducted into trench warfare around the Plugstreet area.

Their first big action was sadly 15th Sept 1916 on the Somme. They were part of the offensive against Flers in unison with the first use of tanks.

I hope this helps. Would you have a photo of George Dowding for my QORWK database?

Regards,

Jonathan S

Thanks Jonathan, information and advice much appreciated. I also found that there are some war diary records at TNA WO95/2634. Do you think they will give me further info?

Yes, you can gladly have a photo (I'll PM you - file to big to attach here). What does your database consist of? Will it be available for public access?

Sue

Sue - I repsonded to your email before I read this.

I think I might have some of the 11 Bttn War Diary at home.

The Atkinson Regimental History for 1914-1919 can be found on line here:

http://www.janetandrichardsgenealogy.co.uk...-_1914-1919.htm

My database consists is a compilation of information on approx 43000 men that served with the QORWK, WKY and Kent Cyclists Bttn (and occasionally men from 20th London's) and is being brought together from medal rolls, SWB, CWGC, rolls of honours, photos, national and local newspapers, books, various archive material ... basically anywhere where I have been able to find information relating to the men that served ... I even found a short obituary of one man when I was looking through an old newspaper archive when visiting Scapa Flow in Orkney, which must be nearly as far away as you can get form Kent and still be in the British Isles. Currently it remains work in progress and it is not in the public domain.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Edited - I should add much information has come to me via Forum members.

Jonathan

OK thanks that would be great if you have.

Thanks for the link - the work some poeple have done on their family history puts mine to shame!

Good luck with the database - look forward to it 'going live'.

Sue

Sue,

The following appears in the battalion history within the chapter, FLERS-"BLOODED" INDEED.

Under the sub-chapter, "Losses":

Many figures, popular among their comrades, were found to have given their lives when the remnants once more assembled on parade; of these, two names come to mind in Lance-Corporal G. Dowding and Private V. Horlock."

Afraid there is no other info unless you know what Company your Gt-Uncle was in.

Longboat.

Longboat

That's wonderful - thankyou

I'm not aware of his company although on Janet & Richards Genealogy Site, as mentioned by Jonathan above, states Lance Corporal George DOWNING, G/8827- could G be the company? It also notes that Regimental History records him as G Downing not Dowding so may be worth me seaching for service records under that spelling.

Thanks again

Sue

Sue,

I saw from the CWGC that your Gt-Uncle's parents were living in Fairlawn Park, Sydenham where nearby is this war memorial which I believe has his name upon it. http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Kent/Sydenham.html

Also on the memorial is C. E. Wright, who I believe is 19 year old Charles Edward Wright of the 11th West Kent's who's parents also lived in Fairlawn Park, Sydenham.

Could they have been friends or associates? Both were 19 when they were killed.

By the way, the battalion history records his name as DOWDING, both in the text and in the Roll of Honour.

Longboat.

Sue - the "G" stands for General Service ie. he enlisted for 3 years or the duration of the war. Company's would have been numbered A to D.

I think the Roll of Honour in the Regimental History made a typo on his name but it is DOWDING in the official records.

Regards,

Jonathan S