Commanders and Staff

Artillery Brigades

Battle Honours

Honours list including foreign awards

Look ups no problem

Regards

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Does this volume contain any material on the 15/London Regt on 21st October 1915? The man I'm looking for is:

Private Cecil Everard HUMPHERSON 15th Battalion London Regiment (Prince of Wales’ Own Civil Service Rifles) 21/10/15

Aged 21

Son of Alfred William and Fanny Humpherson of Red Hill, Bewdley

Lilliers Communal Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France

IV. D. 15

11 May 1915 : formation became 140th Brigade, 47th Division

Thanks!!

Simon

Simon

Unfortunately it doesn't but it does mention them during the preperations for the battle of Loos as being responsible for carrying the gas cylinders up to the trenches for the attack and this work they did on the 19th September.

Regards

Andrew

Thanks anyway Andrew!

Simon

Simon,

I have the Civil Service Rifles history here, and although it is generally very thorough, and makes plenty of mentions of other ranks, it has little specific to say regarding your man and what they were doing at the time, after Loos.

"A fleeting visit was paid to the neighbourhood of Hulluch, where where the battalion was in reserve during the struggle on the 13 October, and narrowly escaped the fate which befell a battalion of the Black Watch who went down in attempting the impossible feat of cutting their way, under very heavy machine gun and artillery fire, through enemy wire of incredible thickness." Then the author moves on to 28 Oct when A and c coys represented the battalion at the King's inspection at Haillicourt. The winter campaign was a long struggle against rain, mud, and trenches that were continually falling in. However, an extract from a bomber's diary recounts that in mid-november "it was fine to be in the train again, and to see cows once more browsing at peace in the fields. We all fell in love with Lillers and soon forgot out troubles."

The battalion history writer continues: "Memories of what was afterwards known as 'the 1st Lillers' (for the battalion visited Lillers again at the next Corps reserve) are of the pleasantest. The billets were good, there were plenty of sports and amusements, and there was an appreciable increase in the leave allotment to the Battalion."

That's really helpful Kate - thank you. Looks like a trip to the war diary!

Simon

• 10 months later...

Hi Andrew

If you have the time can you do a look up for 1/22nd (County of London) Battalion TF (The Queen's) for the 19th September 1916, this is the day my Great Uncle Leopoldo Bosano was killed.

Much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hi Andrew,

I have a lookup request I hope you can do for me. Can you tell me what the 47th Div was doing on the 25th/26th May 1915. In particular I am very interested in the movements of the 1/20th London Regiment. My great uncle Alexander Etheridge was KIA around sector B2 in Givenchy, France.

many thanks

Paul

Andrew,

Any mentions of Sergeant Digby Garton Duggleby, !/18th (London Iriish Rifles)?

I have details of the trench raid in which he was killed on 7/4/17.This was supplied to me by the regimental museum, which if anyone is interested I am willing to share ( There's been a lot of new recruits since I last offered).

Roger.

Can you tell me what the 47th Div was doing on the 25th/26th May 1915. In particular I am very interested in the movements of the 1/20th London Regiment. 

Hi Paul

they were at the battle of Festubert. I know this as my grandfather was there too and wounded on 27 May 1915 (and lived to tell the tale) You shd be able to find plenty more on the main Long Long Trail website

good luck

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul & Pat,

One of my grandfathers was also at Festubert/Givenchy at that time.

He was a stretcher-bearer with the 5th Field Ambulance attached to the 47th Div.

and (much later) transferred to the 1/20th London Regt, retraining as infantry.

The following came from his pocket diary for that period (fairly sparse):

---

9th - 16th May 1915 Festinbert (sic) [= Festubert]

23/24th battalions went over the top, took two lines at "fairly heavy cost,

especially in officers".

24th - 26th May 1915 Givenchy

17th/18th/19th/20th battalions took Fritz front line.

Repulsed several counter attacks.

---

Frank

• 18 years later...
7 minutes ago, Ka7en said:

Hi, is it possible to request a look up via this thread still?

Thanks

Karen

The book is available online here at archive.org so you can do the search yourself.

"The 47th (London) Division, 1914-1919 : Maude, Alan H : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive" https://archive.org/details/47thlondondivisi00maudrich

29 minutes ago, Ka7en said:

Hi thanks for that, I have that book.

Is was a person look up I was after. Thank you tho 

The book can be downloaded in various formats and you can carry out a text search for a name or number.

The op wasn't offering anything further.

Is this further to your research on your ggf?

Probably better to continue your old thread to avoid duplication.

"Pte Benjamin James 31104 RWF - Soldiers and their units - The Great War (1914-1918) Forum"

On your old thread can you update us on what you have now and what you would particularly like to know more about? Perhaps we can point you to further resources.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962