Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LEMNOS and MUDROS Harbour , Greece

montbrehain

Klaus (EL SHAHIN) , I made a point of making enquires for you unfortunately its not good news. I spoke to a shop owner in the capital who also has an interest in the history of the island and he told me he believes there was a German cemetery in the Biggest town that's called Myrina. A couple of days before I arrived a presentation had been given in a local hall which I would have liked to have seen . I was told a local man had gained access to Some photographs from the German archives taken by a photographer attached to the German troops who arrived to garrison the island in the the Second world war . The shop owner I spoke to said he believed one of them showed a Cemetery which no longer exists and I think he said that a maritime weather center now occupies the site where the cemetery once was in Myrina and that it was very close to the Harbour. Have you access to German Archives ? If so you may be able to find something there. I do have the Email address of the man I spoke to should you wish to contact him. I found nothing else. "MO"

Have just registered, info of your thread was passed to me. In your message to Klaus ( think it was) 27/9/07 you mentioned an English hospital. My father, a joiner, and British subject born to German parents in UK, was helping to build a hospital and huts (?army) on Lemnos. I am trying to find information about him as my family had all died before Iwas interested in family research. I recall a photo of him wearing a peak cap and what appeared to be a leather strap across his shoulder but I was small when I saw it and it is no longer around. Any help would be most gratefully received. Many thanks. (See Soldiers -LEMNOS - Isle of Lemnos

Hello LEMNOS and welcome to the forum. I did read your post on your other thread . I think as you get in to your research you will find that Lemnos will be a small part in your fathers war service. Unless of course he spent the best part of the war there (see the Canadian hospital answer in your other thread) which I doubt. The photograph you describe is Standard army uniform of the time and most probably he had a leather bandoleer around his shoulder. Unless other members can find him by his service records (which I see they are already trying) it will be very hard to tell you his regiment. But as a Guess ........ Royal Engineers. They did wear the bandoleer. I was led to believe that most hospitals on Lemnos were tented ones , but I have seen photos of wooden huts too. Wood was in short supply on the island though. If there's anything else I maybe able to help you with ? then just let me know "MO"

• 2 years later...

MO - can you recommend a place to stay on Lemnos?

You mention accommodation in Nea Koutali, which would be handy. We are researching Australian Army Nurses on Lemnos.

You may be interested in =A.+W.+Savage&submit=&cat=quick_filter&sort_by=searchKey0"]these photos by A.W. Savage - there are quite a few more, not digitised at that quality of resolution though.

And thank you for posting your photos, very helpful!

• 3 years later...

This "cairn" has been repaired. I have visited and researched the Gallipoli connected sites on Lemnos. There is a lot of local speculation about this "cairn". Some locals belief it was erected by the Egyptian Labour Corps in 1915 - but I am not convinced. From where it is located, it seems like the place for a marker for ships entering the bay and could have been erected a lot later than 1915.

• 3 years later...

I know this is a very old post but I've just returned from the centenary commemoration of the Armistice of Mudros. It was a very low key affair with the whole island and it's kids being involved. I made this map to help with my group. Lot's of other photos to post but can't do it just now

limmap.JPG

What I found very interesting was that the inhabitants of Nea Koutali arrived on the island after the horrendous population exchange. Koutali was the name of the island they came from in the Sea of Marmara and visible from my house in Tekirdag. Our local guide was the daughter of such poor immigrants. The entire village was purpose built in a grid design. She told me that when her family and others had arrived they had nothing but they were traditionally sponge divers and survived by bringing up coal dumped in the bay during and after 1915 

The Francois Baalli gravestone. Also a great contribution to the events was the Australian Cadet Unit under the leadership of John Luca

20181103_110207.jpg

20181103_105434.jpg

On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:13, Gallipoli Roachie said:

I know this is a very old post but I've just returned from the centenary commemoration of the Armistice of Mudros. It was a very low key affair with the whole island and it's kids being involved. I made this map to help with my group. Lot's of other photos to post but can't do it just now

limmap.JPG

Many thanks Gallipoli Roachie for the photos and map.   You may be interested (assuming of course that you don't already know) that there was a second Seaplane Base in Mudros Harbour.   Talikna (the most common spelling used by British Forces) was situated due North of Ispatho Island, on the headland that juts out into the bay.