Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Labour Corps 1914-15 Star Roll WO 329/2836 to 2861

Charles Fair

I have just finished digging around the Labour Corps 1914/15 Star Roll (WO 329/2836 - 2861) looking for 19th London and Hertfordshire Regiment men.

Unusually this sequence is organised in blocks by the regiment or corps that the men previously served overseas with. This is obviously because the LC was not formed until 1917, so no man could have earned the 1914/15 Star with it. (Thanks to Jock Bruce for the tip-off).

Like other 1914/15 Star rolls it gives date of disembarkation, front, unit disembarked with, and regimental number and rank at disembarkation. I have found 100 former 19th London men which has allowed me to plug several gaps in the numbers.

I spent a couple of minutes looking at most of the volumes in this sequence. Please find attached a breakdown of these files showing which prior regiments are included in each file. This is neither in the paper copy of the PRO index nor in PROCAT.

As you can see, the first 18 or so files are rigidly organised by order of precedence of line infantry regiments. From then on it is a bit of a hodge-podge of cap badges, plus some blocks of missorts. I have physically inspected every alternate volume up to WO 329 / 2851 (the ones where the piece number is in bold). I have inspected every volume from 2851 onwards.

I have made the (perhaps sweeping) assumption that those volumes that I have not inspected (the even numbered ones) contain the regiments as predicted by the order of precedence. This seems reasonable as those that I have looked at follow the OOP perfectly. However, it is possible that there may be the odd page of an unusual unit interspersed between two regiments. For example, there is a page of Zion Mule Corps (with one man) at the start of WO 329 / 2849

Most infantry regiments have 70-100 pages of men. This will be essential viewing for many unit historians e.g. anyone trying to compile a nominal roll of all those who went overseas with a unit in 1914/15.

The last volume 2861 consists completely of 'missorts'* - anyone researching a particular unit should go through this volume as well as the blocks of missorts in 2858 and 2860 as they may well find an additional page or two.

* by this term I also include any other units that are not elsewhere mentioned in this index. Most such units have only a page or two of names and they are jumbled together in no apparent order. Cavalry and Yeomanry units are mainly to be found in the three blocks separately identified as such - you will need to check all of these, plus the missorts.

WO_329_Labour_Corps_191415.doc

Edited by Charles Fair

Charles;

A generous act, and a valuable document - unfortinately, it keeps trying to download as a 'Microsoft Picture It' document for me - if you can put up a picture, or post it in another format, I for one would be grateful!

Regards

Phil

Hi Charles

Firstly thanks for your last two emails. Secondly, the above is very usesful to know, and when I get the pages that cover the K.S.L.I. it will fill in many gaps, I am sure.

Annette

A generous act, and a valuable document - unfortinately, it keeps trying to download as a 'Microsoft Picture It' document for me - if you can put up a picture, or post it in another format, I for one would be grateful!

Phil - thats odd, its in Word format and I have been able to dowload it OK. Here is the full listing in a slightly less user friendly layout:

WO 329/

2836 Royal Scots, Queens RW Surrey, Buffs (E Kent), Kings Own R Lancaster

2837 Northumberland Fusiliers, R Warwickshire, R Fusiliers

2838 Kings Liverpool, Norfolk, Lincolnshire

2839 Devonshire, Suffolk, Somerset LI, P of Wales West Yorkshire

2840 E Yorkshire, Bedfordshire, Leicestershire, Royal Irish Regt, Yorkshire (Green Howards)

2841 Lancashire Fusiliers, R Scots Fusiliers, Cheshire

2842 R Welsh Fusiliers, S Wales Borderers, KOSB

2843 Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), R Inniskilling Fusiliers, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire

2844 E Lancashire, E Surrey, Duke of Cornwall’s LI, Duke of Wellington's

2845 Border, R Sussex, Hampshire, S Staffordshire

2846 Dorsetshire, S Lancashire, Welsh Regt, Black Watch

2847 Ox & Bucks LI, Essex, Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby), Loyal N Lancashire

2848 Northampton, R Berkshire, R W Kent, KOYLI

2849 Zion Mule Corps, Kings Shropshire LI, Middlesex, KRRC

2850 Wiltshire, Manchester, N Staffordshire, York & Lancaster

2851 Durham LI, Highland LI, Seaforth Highlanders, Gordon Highlanders

2852 Cameron Highlanders, R Irish Rifles, R Irish Fusiliers, Connaught Rangers, Argyll & Sutherland Hghrs

2853 Leinster, R Munster Fusiliers, R Dublin Fusiliers, Rifle Brigade

2854 Army Cyclist Corps, Monmouthshire, London

2855 ASC

2856 ASC

2857 RE

2858 RE, RAMC, RGA, Miscellaneous (missorts not included in their regimental block), RFA

2859 RFA, RHA, Cavalry (all cavalry regts), RAVC, Coldstream Guards, Cambridgeshire, Hertfordshire, Lovat Scouts, Yeomanry & Cavalry (all regts)

2860 Cavalry (all cavalry regts), Guards (all Foot Guards)RAOC, RAPC, Miscellaneous (missorts not included in their regimental block)

2861 Miscellaneous (missorts not included in their regimental block)

I think Charles has done a wonderful job, thanks so much.

Hopefully on my next trip to Kew (March??) I'll get time to have a look at the rolls.

In the meantime do not forget that I am always happy to try and help anyone who is researching a man who served in the Labour Corps. I cannot guarantee an exact answer but will do my best.

Hope it will encourage more people to go and have a look at this sequence. Were it not for Jock's tip off that it was organised in this way I for one would not have bothered going through all 26 volumes to look for a handful of men.

I'm sure that Ivor would love to have copies of any extracts taken from it to help build his own LC database. I will be sending him details of the former 19th London men in due course.

Ivor, do let me know if you are in the PRO in March - I should be there quite a bit in the last two weeks of that month.

I've added an explanatory note to the last paragraph of my original email too.

• 2 years later...

Just bringing this to the top. Some of the more recent members of the forum that are working on unit databases may find it useful. I have been in contact with a few of them off forum in recent weeks.

Charles

Charles

I missed this first time round and it does sound useful. However the link to the word document does not work for me. Do you still have a copy?

Kind regards

Mike S

Mike - You are right, the original post shows a link but to a document of 0k. Nothing there. I have reattached it to the original post.

Charles

Charles

I'm indebted to you. Mind I've only just noticed that the index is listed on your post from 2004. Teach me to read the whole post before posting. :P

Thanks for your kind help anyhow.

Kind regards

Mike S

Pals,

Just in case anyone's interested I have transcribed the pages for the Dorsetshire Regt (part of WO 329/2846) and will gladly do look ups if required.

Reqards

Steve

Charles

Many thanks

Thats a great resource and will be useful for me to plug some gaps for the 6/Sherwood Foresters. I was going to attempt something similar for the MGC next time I was at NA, but will now check through LC Roll first.

cheers

Mike

• 1 month later...

Charles

Thanks for the file, I also missed this the 1st time.

Regards

Andy

Hallo All

I only subscibed to this Great War Forum the other day and started a thread in Solders with a request for help in finding info on my grandfather who served in the Labour Corps. I had hardly pressed the add reply button when I had the info back for obtaining his Medal Card from MelPack. When I got it I was amazed to see his tour through the Regiments of south London. Now I found it all again in this thread in Units etc. Its at the top of your list.

The Queens Reg Cpl 36449

E.Surry Reg Cpl 20688

E Kent Reg Cpl 12354

Labour Corps. Cpl 73217

Royal Engineers Cpl 3633714

It makes interesting reading don't you think, I dont know what he did to deserve all those transfers and being mentioned on Company Orders so many times. I have a photo of him at Dover taken in July 1916.