Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Dalhousie

chrisharley9

I strongly suspect that this was a shore base in India possibly at Bombay but I stand to be corrected - any further info would be appreciated

Chris

Dave

thanks very much

Chris

Chris, I believe Dave may only be partially correct.

The Dalhousie, 1,154 grt, built 1886, 13 knots, was a paddle ship and was used by the Royal Indian Marine as a troopship to Aug 1914, then transferred to the RN. Not sure what it was used for, but not listed by Dittmar and Colledge as either Armed Merchant Cruiser or Armed Boarding Steamer.

Became Depot ship in 1916, thro' to 1919.

Best wishes

David

I strongly suspect that this was a shore base in India possibly at Bombay but I stand to be corrected - any further info would be appreciated

Chris

In August, 1914 the Royal Indian Marine ship DALHOUSIE (built 1886, 1960 tons, 13kts) was lying at Aden where she had been for many years. After serving for a short time as Examination Vessel at Aden, she was refitted for service in the Persian Gulf and later became Base Guard Ship at Basra. By 1922 she was a Receiving Ship at Bombay and from 1928 to 1940 she was RIN's Boys' Training Establishment, moored alongside the breakwater in the Naval Dockyard at Bombay.

David & Ionia

thanks very much

Chris

• 10 years later...

The records of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve - Hedley Green L/5362 - I'm researching state show part of his service was on HMS Dalhousie but from the above I'm not quite sure where it was or what it was doing at the time he was with the ship.

Could someone clarify this for me please  - and also what does 'Alert' mean for the period 9 December 16 - 22 April 17?   Am I correct in thinking having completed his training he was at home carrying on with his normal line of work and waiting to be called back for active service? 

8 minutes ago, phsvm said:

The records of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve - Hedley Green L/5362 - I'm researching state show part of his service was on HMS Dalhousie but from the above I'm not quite sure where it was or what it was doing at the time he was with the ship.

Could someone clarify this for me please  - and also what does 'Alert' mean for the period 9 December 16 - 22 April 17?   Am I correct in thinking having completed his training he was at home carrying on with his normal line of work and waiting to be called back for active service? 

HMS Alert was an elderly sloop which was used as a base ship in the Persian Gulf:

http://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-50-HMS_Alert.htm

RM

Many thanks. Just shows how easy it is to get things completely wrong!  Shows what an amateur I am. 

How would he have been transported to the Gulf from England and once on board Alert and then Dalhouise what would his roles have been?

His number was actually L[ondon}. Z/5362 and he had enlisted in the London Division of the RNVR. (RNVR medal roll, findmypast). His record (also findmypast) shows service in

HMS Victory VI (Crystal Palace, presumably initial training)

HMS Pembroke I (Chatham Barracks, I think)

HMS Alert

HMS Dalhousie (_._)

HMS Dalhousie

HMS Pembroke (Chatham presumably ready for demobilisation)

The brackets after HMS Dalhousie show that he was being carried on the books of HMS Dalhousie but was serving on a small vessel (un-named) or elsewhere.

He was rated Able Seaman after his initial training but nothing on the records indicates a trade.

I suspect that he from Chatham to HMS Alert either on a troopship or as a passenger on a merchant ship.

I expect that there is someone on the forum who will be able to work out what he actually did.

RM

His trade prior to enlistment was assistant in an Ironmongers store about as far away from the sea as you could possible be in rural Berkshire.

I have no idea why he joined the RNVR as all the boys he'd grown up with in his tiny village joined either the Berkshires or the OBLI.

1 minute ago, phsvm said:

His trade prior to enlistment was assistant in an Ironmongers store about as far away from the sea as you could possible be in rural Berkshire.

I have no idea why he joined the RNVR as all the boys he'd grown up with in his tiny village joined either the Berkshires or the OBLI.

I saw the "Ironmonger" civilian trade in his record. I meant his trade qualification in the navy which would tell us more about what he was doing.

His service starts from July 1916. All things being equal he would have be liable for conscription. Perhaps he wanted some choice in how he served. 

RM

Okay, I see what you mean.  I guess if his previous trade had been any relevant occupation he'd have been doing something alinged to it during his service.  For example if he'd been a cook/chef previously I guess he'd have been involved in the catering  - but I don't know what relevance selling nails would be on a ship (said slightly toungue in cheek)

• 2 years later...

The ship's name probably derives from Lord Dalhousie, Viceroy of India 1848-56.