Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Issue info.

chrislock

Please help, my Great Uncle served in A coy, 7th Batt, S.L.I and was k.i.a on 13/6/16 at Ypres. He joined in Sept 14 and went to France in July 15. Was a plaque of some sort also issued to his mother? Please help, Chris.

Chris: he would have been entitled to the 1914-15 Star, the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. His next of kin would have been sent a commemorative scroll with a bronze plaque bearing his name. A number of images of these things appear on the forum. Try a search on 'plaque', 'death penny', or similar terms and you'll find lots of references.

Hi Chris

Is that 7th Somerset L.I. or 7th Shropshire L.I. ?

Annette

Annette, it is the 7th Somerset Light Infantry,"The old western bulldogs". Chris.

• 1 month later...

Chris,

I am just reading a book about the 7th SLI and it describes the events of th 13th June 1916:

A raid was detailed for that night as a diversion for an attack by Canadian Troops in another part of the line.

As part of the preparations there was a short bombardment of the German Lines which resulted in the Germans countering with a 'very heavy bombardment of our trenches'. This fell on A Coy's position resulting in 4 KIA and 11 WIA. The KIA are listed as: Privates Joseph Winzer, Frederick Stubbins, Reginald Green and Leonard Holder. The book mentions that Private William Holland was also Killed.

The Attack by the Canadians was apparently a success.

Hope that helps'

James

Forgot to say in my post that the book is Forged by Fire by Brendon Moorhouse and is in my humble opinion excellent.

Hope BM does not mind me quoting his book :unsure:

James

Thank you James, all sorts of stuff is opening up since I put that question over. I also have B M,s book too. You are quite right, an excellent book it is. Chris Baker is researching for me also, I have another relative that is lost in the depths of time, hopefully he can sort that one out! Thanks for your help, much appreciated, Chris.