Hospital Address

npjd2

Dear All,

I have an address for a Manchester Regiment soldier wounded/sick in 1916:

30th IBD

APO SI (?) 17

c/o General Post Office

London

Anybody any idea about what the acronyms stand for?

Thanks.

Phil Dawson

I've been racking my brain to think of a medical related acronym for IBD and the best guess I can come up with is Infantry Base Depot but I'm probably worng.....but on the other hand if your man was only sick is it posisble he was on light duties as a depot?

APO would possibly be Army Post Office.

APO (Army Post Office) S 17 was at Etaples and the intended recipient was at 30 Infantry Base Depot, as already suggested. This APO was at the southern end of Tipperary Road (now Avenue Francois Mitterand) just a couple of hundred yards away from the IBD's and near to the start of the hospital complex that lined the Etaples - Camiers Rd.

Terry Reeves

This APO was at the southern end of Tipperary Road (now Avenue Francois Mitterand) just a couple of hundred yards away from the IBD's and near to the start of the hospital complex that lined the Etaples - Camiers Rd.

Would that have been the one tucked between the 3 arch bridge and the quarry? :lol:

Sue

Would that have been the one tucked between the 3 arch bridge and the quarry? :lol:

Sue

Hi Sue,

Yes that's right, Tipperary Road is tucked between the 3 arch bridge and the quarry, and Sussex Road just comes off that.

Alie.