Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Henry Eric Dixon, 62 Squadron, RFC

Brigantian

Henry is one of a number of WW1 burials in Sheffield I am researching.

He was educated at Bradfield College, Berkshire from 1903 to 1908. After school he was apprenticed to the Wolseley Tool and Austin Car Company, Birmingham, and later worked at The Cleveland Car Company, Darlington.

On 7 October 1914, Henry joined the 16th Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. He was commissioned on 28th December 1914, apparently into the same battalion.

I have no further information about Henry until 10th August 1917, when he was severely injured in flying accident after suffering engine trouble while taking off from Coal Aston, Sheffield. He died from his injuries on 19 August 1917. The epitaph on his grave states that he was a Flight Commander.

His army service file, held by the National Archives, contains very little information about his service with the RFC. Can anyone tell me more about him?

Thanks

Mark

Terry

Thanks for the information. Could you let me know the source please?

Regards

Mark

All I can find to add is this:

He was the pilot of the Harry Tate, not the observer.

62 squadron was formed in August 1916 and based at Filton. It flew BE2c's until May 1917 when it re-equipped with F2b's (Bristol Fighters). It went to France as a fighter/bomber unit on January 23rd 1918.

The squadron does not appear to have been officially equipped with RE8's although I understand it was not uncommon for squadrons to have a 'hack', which is an unofficial transport plane, usually for use by the CO. These hacks were mostly two seaters and obsolete or near-obsolete aircraft. The RE8 mentioned could well have been used in this way?

Alec

Mark

The source was "Airmen Died in the Great War 1914-1918" by Chris Hobson. Published by Hayward in 1995.

Lists all RFC, RNAS, RAF, AFC, WRAF casualties of WW1 with causes, aircraft etc where known.

Henry Eric Dixon

Born May 1890

Educated at Bradfield College from Jan 04 to Jul 08 where he was a Prefect and a member of the Cricket XI in 1908 and the Football XI in 1906; Captain, 1907-1908; Shooting VIII, 1906-1907.

In 1908 he joined the Leeds University Engineering Department

Captain, 16th Middlesex Regiment; later Flight Commander, RFC; Gunnery Instructor

Killed in flying accident in 1917

Regards. Dick Flory

Alec, Terry & Dick,

Thanks for the info – I know a lot more about Captain Dixon.

Regards

Mark