Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The chateau at Stirling Castle.

bierlijn

Hi Forum,

I am looking for more details of the chateau in whose grounds was the Stirling Castle strongpoint. It is usually described as 'a small chateau'. I have found a German map which refers to it by a different name, but I'm finding it hard to read. Can anyone else decipher it? It seems to say "W??SSES SCHLOSS, SCH??????PE BENK??HARDT.

If anyone can tell me whether Benk??hardt was the name of the owner of a local commander, I'd be very grateful. Anyone got any other maps/photos with a more detailed view or different name for this building/area? It is definitely not the Herenthage Chateau, which is 500m to the east.

Thanks for any help,

Hugh.

post-19252-1190143730.jpg

HI,

It says Weisses Schlos,

Schlossruine Benkenhorst

or White Chateau, ruins of castle Benkenhorst

Regards,

Cnock

Thanks - that's great, really helped a lot.

Hugh

hello,

I think I have pictures of stirling castle now and then;

will look it up for you and scan them.

kind regards

sabine

• 10 years later...

Sorry I am so late into this topic, but last October I visited the area with my friend. His Great Uncle died on the 31st July, 1917. He was James Gatley and was with the Manchester Regiment 17th Battalion. There is no "Stirling Castle" now so do I assume that it was knocked down in the last decade? Best regards. Chris.

Chris, assuming we are talking about the same thing, my great uncle fought there with the Cheshires in 1914 and his brigade commander mentions both names.  We visited it last year and the chateau was sign-posted:

2017-12-27.png.a2eda77a17d7284dbff686ab7696b725.png

Here is his map from the book on the XV Brigade:

5a4387cfb4d2a_2017-12-27(1).png.641853fa09e487329b59c16b66c803f3.png

Many thanks for all this information. We had the July 1917 trench maps which we overlaid on an ordnance survey map. I can see that Stirling Castle is Beukenhorst. Sadly we did not see any sign for it. There were some building remains in the area (see the photo below) that we thought were possibly related to the chateau but were not sure. What do you think?                     

Chris.

5a438c89eae5f_9.SterlingCastlearea.thumb.JPG.8dd2139727158e9e0f3c0a2d225a4116.JPGains which

Hello,

The manor is in private hands and is not open for public.

Jan

Thanks for this. We had the trench maps for 1917 and can see that Stirling Castle was Beukenhorst on your map. We walked around this area looking for any remains of the buildings and found some 

Thanks Jan. 

Are you saying the manor is on the site of Beukenhorst Chateau? If so, is it the buildings on my photo? 

Chris. 

The manor which is there today was rebuilt close to where Beukenhorst Castle stood.

Jan

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing the great photographs of Beukenhorst Chateau. I wonder if any survive of Stirling Castle?

• 4 years later...

Also mentioned in WD of 7th Division ADMS October 1914 as HQ of 7th Division.

David