Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why is his regimental number only three numbers long?

charlielavin

Steve's made a good point, the SWB wasn't authorised until September 1916 so they would have had to apply for it. As an aside you see quite a few examples in the Service Records of men applying for the SWB when they had been discharged in 1914/15.

Regards the medal rolls. The VM and BWM medal rolls started at the man with the lowest number and carried on from there. So the Notts and Derby have 25 Books of Medal Rolls running from WO329/1383 to WO329/1407.

These were originally catalogued as F103 B 0 to F103 B 36 (the numbers recorded on the MIC)

So a man whose medals were issued with a 3 or 4-digit TF number should be in the first book (i.e. F103 B 0-3 or WO329/1383).

Evelyn Woodruff is in F103 B 35, which I've not looked at but might cover misorted men and the 21st Battn which was the reserve Battn for the TF. There is every possibility that he was transferred back to England and posted to the 21st Battn prior to discharge

See the two examples below. You will see that Pte Lane has #200 and is in F103 B (O), whereas Pte Woodruff has #179 but is in F103 B 35. There may of course been nothing in this and it was just a mistake that he was missed of the early role ?

Interestingly both of these men were discharged prior to Sept 1916 and neither have a SWB

post-4619-1190101847.jpg

• 1 month later...

I listed earlier in this string the WW1 Notts and Derby medals that I have in my collection. Someone responded to me with regards to :-

NOTTS.& DERBY 8 SJT A.PHILLIPSON. BWM

This happened to be a name that he was researching from the Retford War Memorial. That person requested a photograph of the medal inscription. This is now available and would that person, whose name I have mislaid, please make contact so that I can forward the image?