Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submarine E24

MelPack

Hello Bridge. Have looked at the WW1 site. Cannot make much of it - bit thick you know ! Could add so much to the list of info on the crew - but so very busy.

See the following on NAPER - if you would like same on other officers / ratings shout ;

NAPER George WYATT EDGELL. LIEUT.

APRIL 1906 JOINED HMS FORTH FOR INSTRUCTION IN SUBMARINES WORKING FROM A CLASS BOATS IN DEVONPORT. MOVED TO PORTSMOUTH AND HMS MERCURY FOR COMMAND OF A SUBMARINE AS ADDITIONAL.

B.8. (5 ?)IN COMMAND. 01.01.09. FORTH.

G.S. HMS K.E.V11 01.01.09.

C.14. 10.09.13. FORTH.

C.14. 16.05.15. IN COMMAND.

LOST IN E.24 24.03.16.

21.03.16 SAILED HARWICH – ORDERS TO ENTER HELIGOLAND BUCHT.

Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.

E.24 was sunk by mine explosion, most probably whilst on the surface.

She was salved by the German Co., HARMS, in 1974, and taken to

Cuxhaven in Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and

buried in the Cemetery in Ohlsdorf, Hamburg, where there is also

a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and these are in

the Wrackmuseum, Dunnen, Cuxhaven.

There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine "E.24".

Photo's of the graves, taken by D.A. Feary are in the R.N.

Submarine Museum.

21.03.16 SAILED HARWICH - ORDERS TO ENTER HELIGOLAND BUCHT.

ADM 196 / 143 / 382 D.o.B ; 240884 D.o.A ; 150599 LIEUTENANT

ADM 196 / 49 / 152 D.o.A ; 150599 LT.COMMANDER

Sadsac

Hi there Sadsac,

The Lives of the First World War site takes a bit of getting used to, but there is lots in there when you find your way about. Part of the reason for this is that everything entered has to be connected to a source, or added as a 'Story'. You do need to register (free) to see more detail. I wish I could show you how to get in to it!

I have so much to do, I have not put in full details of Naval careers at this stage as I want to get something in for all of the crew of E24. I think it is possible to see the images of Naval records if it is of interest, so I just give an outline that won't make the Timeline mostly a list of ships. As a subscriber, I get access to images of the Service Records and much else besides, which I then connect in to an individual's Life. I am trying to make it possible for those who are looking for a relative in LOFWW to be able to identify whether they have found the right person or not.

In the limited space available for the Community description I put

"HM Submarine E24

The crew of HM Submarine E24, mined in North Sea. On the morning of 21st March 1916 E24 sailed from Harwich for mine-laying operations at Heligoland Bight. The submarine failed to return from this operation and was believed to have struck a mine. In 1973 her hull was mistakenly salvaged, inspection of the hull indicated that the submarine had indeed hit a mine."

I noticed we have different dates for the salvage fiasco - is there a source that can be 'pinned down' as to what actually happened? There are a number of mentions of the story online, none of which give a source for the information, so I don't know how reliable they are. I have asked CWGC why I can't find the Ohlsdorf memorials on their site, especially as the photo posted by Western looks like a CWGC stone - we shall see if I get a useful answer!

BridgetM

Bridge. I did have the newspaper cuttings (German) and all the details, plus photos of the graves & plans of the Ohlsdorf Cemetary which I have given to the RNSM.

They are in the E.Class files under HMS/m E.24. Also photos of the C.T as it was in Bremerhaven prior to being given to Wrackmuseum, Dunen.

I was offered the C.T by the Director of the Bremerhaven Schiffart Museum, but the RNSM could not obtain the tower as it was / maybe ` a War Grave' !!

Sadsac.

• 6 months later...
Guest Adela Bass

Hello all. Isaac Bass was my grandad. I was in Plymouth this week-end laying flowers for him at the Naval Memorial. Although I never met him, his wife Adela, my grandmother, kept him a proud presence in my life. They had two sons, Charles and John, my father, who was only two and half years old when the E24 was lost in March 1916. I am thrilled to have found this forum.

Would love to find more details. Have become quite emotional at news of the wreck being found with crew still in it. Thank you for making me feel as part of a community my grandad has opened up for me.

Best wishes,

Adela

Hello Adela, 

I am so pleased that you have got in touch, it is good to know relatives are aware and remembering these men. I have put together a 'Community' on the IWM's permanent digital memorial for E24 at https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/2769 and you will find your grandfather's Life Story at https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/6188928 - I have not got far with the Life Stories of many on E24 yet, as I am first trying to complete the community for the men of my parish. If you have any family stories, you can add them to Isaac's Life Story - click the Stories tab, then Share it here.

As you may have seen above (I can't remember what I wrote, it's a while ago!) my grandfather's younger brother was on E24, like your grandad.

Hello Adela.  Here is such that I have on Isaac Bass - not much and you probably already have, but ;

BASS ISAAC ERA 2 D/ 271517 NE RN SM E.24 27.03.16 Z 030681

PLYMOUTH 14 120216 DD 270316 E24 JOINED RN 110204 AGE 34 PLYMOUTH 3 – 140 Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.

E.24 was sunk off Heligoland by mine explosion probably whilst on the surface. She was salved by the German Company HARMS in 1974 and taken to Cuxhaven Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in Ohlsdorf Cemetery Hamburg where there is also a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and are in the Wrackmuseum Duhnen Cuxhaven. There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves taken by D.A. Feary are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 436. AG 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Liverpool Lancs.   D.o.B ; 030681   Occ ; Fitter.   Name also Bastarrechea.

RESURGAM

His FULL Naval Record can be seen & had by contacting PRO/NA at Kew.  You will note that he was also known as BASTARRCHEA ??

The record can be down-loaded for £3.50 - use ADM 188 / 436.

Sadsac

• 2 years later...

With Lives of the First World War closing to further contributions at  12.01am next Tuesday 19 March, I have researched all the individual crew members and added all the information I will have time to do, to the community HM Submarine E24 here: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/2769

I have no doubt there is more information out there about these men, which could have been added, not least, photographs, but doing this (and other projects within LoFWW) single-handed, there had to be a limit to what was possible. If you spot any serious mistakes - there are bound to be mistakes, I just hope they are of minor importance - please let me know, keeping in mind I will not be able to change anything after Monday 18th.

• 4 years later...