Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submarine E24

MelPack

Jane, I have sent 4 photos to your Email address. Thanks to CLIO for posting that which I could not - obviously CLIO is a better `worker' of this site than am I.

Sadsac

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have just come across your forum today while searching for information on the E24. My husband's grandfather's cousin was an AB on the submarine. His name was Cuthbert Henry Kerswill.

Can anyone tell me what photos/pictures there are in the book entitled HMS E24 by Surhorne, Tennoe and Henssonow?

Also where can I find newspaper reports regarding the discovery, and the subsequent burials of the crew. Were members of their families ever contacted in 1974?

Thankyou

• 5 months later...
Guest scottphillips2

Hello all, I am new to the Forum and found this in my family history research on an ancestor, Henry Keat, who was on E24. Lead Seaman or similar title.

I know that nothing has been posted here for a couple years, but I am wondering if anyone has discovered anything new about this loss?

Thanks!

Scott

Hello LinM, here is such that I have on AB Kerswill ;

KERSWILL CUTHBERT HENRY AB D/ 235202 NE RN 27 031288 B F P

PLYMOUTH 3 - 196

Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.E.24 was sunk by mine explosion off Heligoland, probably whilst on the surface.

She was salved by the German Company HARMS, in 1974, and taken to Cuxhaven, Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg, where there is also a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and are in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven.

There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves, taken by D.A. Feary are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

HMS MAIDSTONE ADM 188 / 417. A.G 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Cardiff, Glamorgan. Occ ; Errand Boy.

You will see all the other Postings in this Thread regarding E.24. I have not visited the Thread for some time, but will look for further info that I have.

Sadsac

Hello Scott, find here such details that I have on Ldg Seaman Keat ;

KEAT HENRY LDG SEA D/ 209295 NE RN SM E.24 27.03.16 Z 33 030383 B F P

PLYMOUTH 11 PLYMOUTH 3 - 195

Husband of Lilian Maud Keat, of Ivydene Cottage, Blisland, Bodmin, Cornwall.

Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.E.24 was sunk by mine explosion, probably whilst on the surface. She was salved by the German Company HARMS, in 1974, and taken to Cuxhaven, Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in the Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg, where there is a lso a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and are in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven. There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves taken by D.A. Feary are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

You will see all other Posting re E.24, with info & photo's.

Sadsac

Scott - further info ;

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 365. A.G 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Wadebridge, Cornwall. Occ ; Labourer.

Record ADM 188 / 365 from PRO/NA may be down-loaded `on-line' for £3.50.

Good Hunting.

Sadsac

• 7 months later...
Guest Bryan Kerswill

Hi all i too have just found this forum and would like to add a little to the topic.

Cuthbert Henry Kerswill AB is/was my grandfather.

The E24 was laid down ( start of build ) by Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness on the 18th January 1915......my birthday 18th January 1956, which is a kind of spooky.

She sailed from Harwich on the 21st March 1916 for mine laying in Field103 and did not return with a disposal date of 24th March 1916.

Lt RMW Greiffenhagen was alast minute replacement fo Lt CH Allen who was sick.

I do have some further information that i gathered from The Royal Navy Submarine Museum in Gosport if needed.

Any further information, photos would be more than welcome

LinM we must be related

Regards Bryan

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi,

My Great Great Uncle Thomas Arthur Kirby was an Able Seaman on the E24..my Grandfather and I did a lot of research years ago on this and unfortunately he died before this information was made public...I now have Thomas's service record thanks to national archives but would be very grateful for any further info/ photos or where I can find info from myself on this.

I do have a photo of Thomas with the crew of C12...I will post it if its of interest to anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Hallerton 1. Entering this in this E.24 Thread, so as to bring it to your notice.

Sadsac

Hello Sadsac

Thanks for getting back to me.

I would be grateful for any info you can give re life aboard this submarine, ie how them slept, ate generally lived etc etc.

Also do you know of any photos available of the contents found except for the one on this forum or if not if the museum would be likely to be able to help.

I have never come across a photo of this particular submarine only her sister subs. Also was the information of the Germans raising her by mistake suppressed by them and only revealed later or were they completely open about it?

Thanks for the info you sent me on Hawke.

regards

max

• 3 months later...

There are clearly a number of people here who have a family interest in commemorating the crew of Submarine E24, as have I. The IWM have set up Lives of the First World War (livesofthefirstworldwar.org) to be a permanent digital memorial, but need those of us who are interested to fill in the details. I have set up a community on LoFWW called 'HM Submarine E24', where I have collected the names of the crew. I have started putting in some information, but would welcome your help in filling out more detail of the lives of the crew. The IWM and/or their partners have chosen a somewhat clunky setup for the database, which has taken a bit of getting used to, so if you want me to put in the information for you, I can do that.

Contact me at bridget.moonraker@btinternet.com.

The Centenary of the sinking of E24 is barely a week away as I write - we can surely do this for these men who gave their lives for their country.

Hello BridgetM. Interested to see your posting #43. Am `away' now for a week, but will contact again on return.

Sadsac (you will see I have done some posting on topic of E.24.

Thank you for the response, I await your further contact with interest.

I have read through this thread and anything else Google has found - I have no special knowledge of submarines, my interest arises from having a relative aboard E24.

BridgetM

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting and this the memorial at Ohlsdorf

attachicon.gifIMG_0010a.jpg

It is quite some time since you posted this photo, but if you look in again, please let me know if it is OK for me to use it. I will give you proper credit (assuming you took it!). The principal use is intended to be on Lives of the First World War, as in my post No.43.

Bridget - will be EMailing you. Please see those of crew of E.24 that I have already posted details of.

Thanks sadsac, will get info. on those crew into LOTFWW as I work my way through the list - have taken a few days to do other things. Will look out for email.

Hello Bridge. Here are some details for finding relations of the crew E49. A bit of `longshots'. I did have much success from such when doing H49 - but that was for WW11.

Letters to Local Rag / RNA Branches etc. `may' bring up relatives - Good Hunting.

BRASHER P.o.B ; Telworth Hunts. LKA ; Sandy Beds.

GROSSE P.o.B ; Mansfield Notts. LKA ; Ashton-u-Lyme.

HAWKES P.o.B ; Huntingdon. LKA ; Brampton Hunts.

P.o.B ; Place of Birth LKA ; Last Known Address.

If you would like more such let me know.

Sadsac

Thank you.

You may be interested to see this page from Leicestershire War Memorials, referring to Hawke: http://www.leicestershirewarmemorials.co.uk/war/casualty/view/17075

I shall be entering information I find about individuals on Lives of the First World War, as and when I find it. At the moment I am working through in the order listed on the memorial at the Submarine Museum, so the officers have most info. so far. The HM Submarine E24 community is here: https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/community/2769

Thank you for the info. above, it will help make sure I have the right man as I work through the records. I would guess it is likely I shall be in touch again!

BridgetM