Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Submarine E24

MelPack

Hello

I came across this description in the CWGC details of Hamburg Cemetery:

This total includes special memorials to three casualties buried in Parchim Prisoners of War Cemetery whose graves could not be found, and 25 unidentified sailors whose remains were recovered from HM Submarine E24, which was sunk by a mine off Heligoland in March 1916, when the vessel was raised in July 1974.

I have googled in attempt to find more details about the salvage operation but other than it was 'accidental' I have not been able to find anything further.

Does anyone have any additional information?

regards

Mel

Mel, re E24 :

All lost crew buried in Cemetery Hamburg can be identified.

A German wrecker crew went out in 1974 to try to recover a WW11 submaribe that was supposed to be transporting diamonds / jewels to Japan, but was sunk leaving port. A wreck was found and assumed to be `their' sub. Diver hooked on lifting gear and the sub was dragged back UNDER WATER to Cuxhaven where she was raised - CONSTERNATION !!! - Not a German Uboat. It could only be British as NO other navy would be sending subs to that dangerous area. Bodies were found so it must be a war grave, again - CONSTERNATION - 4 RN Officers from Hamburg turned up - put their fingers over their mouths and said `shush for ten years'. Bodies were buried and boat identified as E24. Have FULL story. Just missed being given the tower of E24 ( RNSM could not / would not have it as `War Grave' ) and it finally has gone to Wrackmuseum, Duhnen Nr. Cuxhaven, where it still is.

More info if required.

Regards KOKO

Sadsac DAF

Hello Koko

Thanks for the information. It sounds like a fascinating story.

My curiosity was aroused by the CWGC information because the E24 was obviously a war grave and the recovery of the remaines of 25 submariners must have been about the entire crew - yet they are buried as unidentified.

Any further information that you have please feel free to share.

regards

Mel

ps What on earth would you have done with a submarine tower?!!!

Mel,

On 21st March 1916 HM Submarine E 24, built 1916, 807 tons, left Harwich, England to lay mines in Heligoland Bight, not heard from again. All the crew of 35 crew were lost.

Best wishes

David

Hello Mel, this is Sadsac. KOKO = Keep On Keeping On - the motto of a couple of Submarines.

A Tower in the garden ?? God knows but it would have saved it from the scrap man - bronze in 1987/8 was £3 / 4000 - now WOW !!!

I was `instrumental' in getting E17 tower back to RNSM (1987) - indeed it was because I prvailed upon Dutch diver to fetch it up that it appeared at all. He got 5000 for it from RNSM.

I was the firsy Englishman down into the hatch for 60+ years and the balance weight worked perfectly.

After refurbishment at RN Depot it is now on display in RNSM.

Sadsac KOKO

Mel, more on E24. The actual Cemetery is in OHLSDORF, Hamburg. I photo'd all the graves in 1988.

The skipper is also buried there in a seperate grave to others. He was Identified because of the 2+half rings on sleeve, also that his skeleton was 6ft tall. Of further interest (tho somewhat grissly) is the fact that all the skulls of those in the boat were found in a `pyramid' formation. I explained the reason to the Director of the Wrackmuseum as it being that the boat being at downward angle the heads became detached from bodies and `rolled' down to that position (due to angle / tide etc - at least thats the only explanation I can think of. One further mystery - when the boat was opened it was found that three bodies lay under the battery boards firectly on top of the batteries, with arms folded `as in death' - so may presumed to have being `buried' before main loss. Placed there because of gas / previous episode / ?????

Articles from boat / crew such as pipes (smoking - belonged to captain) / bottle of blackberries / sextant / firing pistol / boots are on display. Plus a good display of how it came to be.

Crew list available if required.

Cheers Sadsac

• 3 months later...

Thankyou to all for your quotes. My great grandmothers brother was one of the 25/35 sailors of that E24 Submarine. Never knew until now what happened to it. So was welcome information to me

Not a great way to die by any means... Crew list is available?

Steve

Mel, more on E24. The actual Cemetery is in OHLSDORF, Hamburg. I photo'd all the graves in 1988.

The skipper is also buried there in a seperate grave to others. He was Identified because of the 2+half rings on sleeve, also that his skeleton was 6ft tall. Of further interest (tho somewhat grissly) is the fact that all the skulls of those in the boat were found in a `pyramid' formation. I explained the reason to the Director of the Wrackmuseum as it being that the boat being at downward angle the heads became detached from bodies and `rolled' down to that position (due to angle / tide etc - at least thats the only explanation I can think of. One further mystery - when the boat was opened it was found that three bodies lay under the battery boards firectly on top of the batteries, with arms folded `as in death' - so may presumed to have being `buried' before main loss. Placed there because of gas / previous episode / ?????

Articles from boat / crew such as pipes (smoking - belonged to captain) / bottle of blackberries / sextant / firing pistol / boots are on display. Plus a good display of how it came to be.

Crew list available if required.

Cheers Sadsac

Steve, info re E24 crew ;

Here are 11 (of 35) of crew of E24 (if you would like full list - shout)

What was your GGG Bro's name ???

BENNETT William LSto C/K 11735

CARPENTER Alec LTEL C/J 9416

EGAN Frederick AB C/J 8844

FLACK Arthur James LSEA C 239733

FORD Albert Edward LSTO C 310468

KELLEY William Luxton STO 1 C/K 9685

KIRBY Thomas Arthur AB C233418

SCARLETT Edward ERA 1 C 271096

TAYLOR Stephen Thomas STO 1 C/K 2285

TRENDELL Frederick Arthur AB C/J 3319

WILLCOX Ernest STO 1 C/K 12550

Regards Sadsac

One of the names on a plaque in my local church (St Pauls Meopham) is W Bennett Royal Navy and the only likely candidate I could find on CWGC is C/K 11735 from E24.

Do you have any other detail on the crew other than just the list? - would like to get a definite identity for the name on the plaque

thanks & regards

Rob

Hello Rob / Steve, here's a `complete' Submarine Service Record for BENNETT ;

BENNETT WILLIAM LDG STO C/K 11735 NE RN SM E.24

27.03.16 Z 25 240988 B C F F P CHATHAM 17 CHATHAM 3 - 240

Husband of Annie Charlotte Rose Bennett, of 24 Chickerell Rd., Weymouth, Dorset.

Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.

Chatham Memorial is open 0830 - 1700.

For entry Telephone Guard Room at Brompton Barracks, 01634 - 822442.

Note ; E.24 was sunk by mine explosion off Heligoland, most probably whilst on the surface.She was salved by the German Company HARMS, in 1974, and taken to Cuxhaven, Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in the cemetery in Ohlsdorf, Hamburg, where there is also a memorial to the men.

Some artifacts were recovered and these are in the Wrackmusuem, Dunnen, Cuxhaven.

There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M.Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves, taken by D.A. Feary, and are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 890. AG 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Boroughgreen, Kent. Occ ; Late Sto RN SS 103955.

ADM 188 / 1109. SS 103955. CHATHAM 17 - 3 - 240

THAMES 110717

DOMINION 121015

PEMBROKE 11 130927

CYCLOPS 131028

DOLPHIN 141016

E16 150323 MAIDSTONE

DOLPHIN 151227

E24 160121 MAIDSTONE

DD 160327 E24

Regards Sadsac

Steve, more of crew list for E24 ;

WILSON Robert Hopkins ERA 3 C/M 3333

BASS Isaac ERA 2 D271517

CHADWICK Alfred Samuel David AB D 231479

CONNOLLY Cornelius STO 1 D/K 21324

DEVES George Edward STO 1 D/K 19163

FITZWATER Samuel David Mitchell ERA 3 D 271709

HAWKE Walter Hubert LSEA D 237738

KEAT Henry LSEA D 209295

KERSWILL Cuthbert Henry AB D 235202

KOKO Sadsac

• 1 month later...

Good evening to all on this topic.

I have just joined the forum and was trilled to discover that others were interested about the loss of submarine E24.

I have done some research on that subject for a while. My grandmother had a brother. His name was Cornelius Michael Connolly. He was a stocker on E24.

I have a list of 35 men for the crew. I also have a photograph of Cornelius with some others while training on HMS Maidstone. Somebody might regognize a relative. I am more than willing to share all my work and intersted in all information others might have on the subject (salvage and burial in Hamburg)

Best regards

Marc Buckle

Marc, welcpme to the Forum - you can / will get bags of info here if you require.

I see you were TRILLED - been at the Budgie seed ??? Suggest you take more whisky with it !!!

CONNOLLY CORNELIUS STO 1 D/K 21324 NE RN SM E.24

27.03.16 Z 20 100894 B C F P PLYMOUTH 15 PLYMOUTH 3 - 157

Son of Catherine Orchard (formerly Connolly), of 18 Usher's Island, Dublin. and the late Cornelius Connolly. Killed in loss of vessel in North Sea.

E.24 was sunk off Heligoland by mine explosion, probably whilst on the surface. She was salved by the German Company HARMS, in 1974, and taken to Cuxhaven, Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg , where there is also a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and these are in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven.

There also is to be seen the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves taken by D.A. Feary are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

According to relatives this man's name is Corneliius Michael Connolly.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 909. AG 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Dublin. Occ ; Farm Labourer.

See my notation that `family name him as Cornelius MICHAEL Connolly' - nice to have confirmed.

Regards Sadsac

• 1 year later...
Steve, more of crew list for E24 ;

WILSON Robert Hopkins ERA 3 C/M 3333

BASS Isaac ERA 2 D271517

CHADWICK Alfred Samuel David AB D 231479

CONNOLLY Cornelius STO 1 D/K 21324

DEVES George Edward STO 1 D/K 19163

FITZWATER Samuel David Mitchell ERA 3 D 271709

HAWKE Walter Hubert LSEA D 237738

KEAT Henry LSEA D 209295

KERSWILL Cuthbert Henry AB D 235202

KOKO Sadsac

Hi my cousin was George Edward Deves ,b. 30 Jun 1894 at Stonehouse, Plymouth, Devon, Forces Service Number K/19163,have you any idea if his body was ever identified ? or if there was a picture of the crew taken ?as would be nice to see what he looked like as im doing the family tree, and would like to include one if possible

any help would be greatfully recieved thanking you in advance

post-48738-1250374580.jpg

Hello Jane, Welcome.

No individual body of those buried could be identified apart from that is the skipper of E24. He was over 6 feet tall & that is how it is that he has a seperate grave. I can assure you the graves are well tended.

I have details of Stoker G.E Deves. If you wish I will post them here for you.

If you require further details of his naval career they can be found at National Archives file number ADM 188/ 905. Can down load for £3.50.

Sadsac

Hello Jane, Welcome.

No individual body of those buried could be identified apart from that is the skipper of E24. He was over 6 feet tall & that is how it is that he has a seperate grave. I can assure you the graves are well tended.

I have details of Stoker G.E Deves. If you wish I will post them here for you.

If you require further details of his naval career they can be found at National Archives file number ADM 188/ 905. Can down load for £3.50.

Sadsac

Hi Sadsac thank you so much for the quick reply, would be greatfull for anything you have on George as would love to add to the tree and will go to the National Archives for sure, its nice that his grave is being well tended, perhaps one day i will get over there and look ,Bless him he was no age at all at 22 when he died ,just hope it was quick ,thanks again regards Jane

Jane, here are some details on Submarine Service of Sto Deves from my files ; RESURGAM

DEVES GEORGE EDWARD STO 1 D/K 19163 NE RN 300694 151015 E24

MAIDSTONE DD E24 270316

SENIOR IN RATING 010514 JOINED RN 010513

AGE 22 PLYMOUTH 15 - 3 164

Son of Ernest Edward and Eleanor Deves, of Stonehouse ; husband of Jessie F.M. Deves, of 16 St. Stephen's St., Devonport.

E.24 was sunk by mine explosion off Heligoland, probably whilst on the surface. She was salved by the German Company HARMS, in 1974, and taken to Cuxhaven, Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg, where there is also a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and are in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven.

There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves taken by D.A. Feary, are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 905. AG 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Stonehouse, Devon. Occ ; Cellarman.

Sadsac

Jane, here are some details on Submarine Service of Sto Deves from my files ; RESURGAM

DEVES GEORGE EDWARD STO 1 D/K 19163 NE RN 300694 151015 E24

MAIDSTONE DD E24 270316

SENIOR IN RATING 010514 JOINED RN 010513

AGE 22 PLYMOUTH 15 - 3 164

Son of Ernest Edward and Eleanor Deves, of Stonehouse ; husband of Jessie F.M. Deves, of 16 St. Stephen's St., Devonport.

E.24 was sunk by mine explosion off Heligoland, probably whilst on the surface. She was salved by the German Company HARMS, in 1974, and taken to Cuxhaven, Germany. The remains of 25 bodies were recovered and buried in Ohlsdorf Cemetery, Hamburg, where there is also a memorial to the men. Some artifacts were recovered and are in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven.

There also is to be found the conning-tower of H.M. Submarine E.24.

Photo's of the graves taken by D.A. Feary, are in the R.N. Submarine Museum.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 905. AG 315 / 16.

P.o.B ; Stonehouse, Devon. Occ ; Cellarman.

Sadsac

:D thank you Sadsac will get on to Museum and see if they can suply any pics of the artifacts to be able to put on the family tree with him

OK Jane, am posting here four pics of the Conning-tower of E24 as it is displayed in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven. Cannot yet find other pics but will tey again later.

Hope these pics are not too distressful !!

Sadsac

Oh Dear Jane, seems they have failed due to being too big in KB's.

If you let me have address I can send you `hard copies' or try Emailing you the pics.

OK Jane, am posting here four pics of the Conning-tower of E24 as it is displayed in the Wrackmuseum, Duhnen, Cuxhaven. Cannot yet find other pics but will tey again later.

Hope these pics are not too distressful !!

Sadsac

Oh Dear Jane, seems they have failed due to being too big in KB's.

If you let me have address I can send you `hard copies' or try Emailing you the pics.

thanks Sadsac my email address is jane.deves@hotmail.com

will look forward to seeing the pictures thank you , been trying to find a pic of the grave in hamburg but that dosnt seem a easy task at all so guess a email to the cemetery

thanks Sadsac my email address is jane.deves@hotmail.com

will look forward to seeing the pictures thank you , been trying to find a pic of the grave in hamburg but that dosnt seem a easy task at all so guess a email to the cemetery

Jane, no need to contact the cemetery in Germany. I will search out the grave pics, but I am away for a week now. So will look on return.

In meantime I will try to send C/T pics to your Em address.

Sadsac

Jane, no need to contact the cemetery in Germany. I will search out the grave pics, but I am away for a week now. So will look on return.

In meantime I will try to send C/T pics to your Em address.

Sadsac

thanks for the pictures you have sent and for being so kind helping me will look forward to the grave pics

warm regards Jane