Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Loos remembered

Guest KevinEndon

In memory of all the gallant lads of the 24th Division who gave their lives on the 26th September 1915, particularly those of the 72nd Infantry Brigade.

8th (Service) Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment).

8th (Service) Battalion, Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).

8th (Service) Battalion, The Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regiment).

9th (Service) Battalion, East Surrey Regiment.

Some of the finest men in Kitchener's New Army.

Not forgotten.

Dedicated to the enduring memory of my great-grandfather, and his comrades in the 12th Battalion Highland Light Infantry, who were killed in action 93 years ago today at Loos & Hill 70.

Also, to the men of Dundee's Ain, and the men from Dundee whose memorial should light over Dundee today.

To Private James Millar of the 4th Black Watch, killed in action today and still awaiting his memory to be etched onto the wall at Dud Corner.

And to the men of The Black Watch who were in action 93 years ago today.

1st Bn

2nd Bn

4th Bn

8th Bn

9th Bn

Lochaber No More

Aye

Tom McC

Remembering the men of 21st division, 93 years and still not forgotten.

Remembering the 23 men from Hawick and district who perished at Loos on the first day, especially the two mentioned in my signature.

Gone - never forgotten.

Captain Stair Gillon of the KOSB wrote of Loos:

"The wonderful product of months of zeal, energy and patriotism was ‘knocked out’ without opportunity of doing more than set an example to posterity by their bravery’. "

Remembering Rfn Ernest Groves R/7559, 1st King's Royal Rifle Corps of Peover and Wilmslow, Cheshire.

Killed in action on 29th September 1915 as part of Carter's Force during the attacks on The Quarries at Hulluch.

See: Rfn Ernest Groves R7559 1/KRRC d. Loos 29 Sep 1916, & others commemorated on Over Peover War Memorial, Cheshire

May he not be forgotten.

Mark

Remembering

Private Robert Haig Brown - 1st Scots Guards, missing presumed dead 25/09/1915

Private Willie McClellan 10th Gordon Highlanders - KIA 25/09/1915

Private David Wright 9th Black Watch - Missing in action ,his body was found later recovered and prounouced KIA 25/09/1915

post-12171-1222518866.jpg

His mate who sent home this letter was killed in action himself a few months later.

Private Robert Cameron 7th Cameron Highlanders - DoW 26/09/1915

Private Joseph Wood Northumberland Fusiliers - KIA 27/09/1915 whose brother William Jeffrey Wood died just weeks before the end.

John

• 5 years later...

Captain Thomas Charteris lived Berkhamsted Herts but of 10th Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment killed in action between 25-27th Spetember 1915 aged 42. Landed Boulogne 10 September died 3 weeks later!.No body was recovered and he is commemorated on the Loos Memorial.

Rest in Peace

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Remembering the men of the 9th Battalion of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) who fought and fell at Loos 100 years ago today.

• 5 years later...

Hello Gents,    Is it at all possible to determine the 'sub unit' [ Squad, Platoon, Company ] a man was assigned to upon his participation in the Loos assault & around Hill 70, where I believe he was WIA & subsequently medically evacuated back to the U.K. for treatment ? At present, all I know for certain is that he's was assigned to the 6th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders, with his Service File noting that he suffered an 'GSW to hand' on 25 / 26 October 1915 & was evacuated on 27 October. He was; L/Cpl Alan Hockey, No. S13072. Upon his return to 'Blighty', & after recuperating he attended OTC & was Commissioned an 2nd Lieutenant in the 11th Yorks & Lancs. for a brief period of time. Just a few later he was transferred to the Royal Engineers, & remained with them throughout the balance of the War. One particular point that I simply can not make sense of is his unit designation when assigned to the R.E. ? His unit is noted as; '3rd R.B., R.E.' !! If anyone can non shed any light on this particular designation I would DEEPLY APPRECIATE hearing from them !! THANKS Folks

Regards,   dpast32 

12 hours ago, Domenic Pastore Jr. said:

Hello Gents,    Is it at all possible to determine the 'sub unit' [ Squad, Platoon, Company ] a man was assigned to upon his participation in the Loos assault & around Hill 70, where I believe he was WIA & subsequently medically evacuated back to the U.K. for treatment ? At present, all I know for certain is that he's was assigned to the 6th Battalion, Cameron Highlanders, with his Service File noting that he suffered an 'GSW to hand' on 25 / 26 October 1915 & was evacuated on 27 October. He was; L/Cpl Alan Hockey, No. S13072. Upon his return to 'Blighty', & after recuperating he attended OTC & was Commissioned an 2nd Lieutenant in the 11th Yorks & Lancs. for a brief period of time. Just a few later he was transferred to the Royal Engineers, & remained with them throughout the balance of the War. One particular point that I simply can not make sense of is his unit designation when assigned to the R.E. ? His unit is noted as; '3rd R.B., R.E.' !! If anyone can non shed any light on this particular designation I would DEEPLY APPRECIATE hearing from them !! THANKS Folks

Regards,   dpast32 

The abbreviated unit title refers to the 3rd Reserve Battalion Royal Engineers, which was formed in January 1918 from the dismounted training centre at Newark and intended to provide men to support ‘New Army’ (Kitchener raised) RE units.  See: https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/other-aspects-of-order-of-battle/royal-engineers-depots/

Edited by FROGSMILE

23249 pte david harold crow

10th bat york and lancs

k i a  26/09/15

aged 20

1st battle since arriving in france

sad!!!!!!

trevor

Hello 'FROGSMILE',  I can not possibly THANK YOU enough for your every kind & extremely appreciated reply to this particular query !! I have honestly been seeking an answer to this question for many, many years now, & all I've gotten were pretty much the same, some form of 'Rifle Brigade', which I was absolutely certain was not the answer I was looking for. I looked into all manner of R.E. units ever since obtaining a copy of his Service File from the PRO years ago. Other than him being a bonafide Loos / Hill 70 WIA, he was also heir to one of the first, or 'founding families' of South Africa, according to what viva been advised ? Just the other day I made contact with someone from the Victoria, British Columbia, Canada Public Library, & she so very kindly provided me with his Death Certificate, along with an extremely brief Obituary.

( I was honestly hoping for a nice, well detailed Obit, but it just wasn't to be ! ) He also appears to have served during WW2, in either the R.A., & or the 'Pioneer Corps', which does appear to look like somewhere they delegated all the 'older Officers / Gentlemen' to ? Exact same scenario happened to another one of my British Groups, an WW1 M.M. to an Canadian L/Cpl who was decorated for his actions as part of a Lewis Gun Crew during the St. Eloi Craters fiasco. He too was later Commissioned into the 1st C.M.G. Battalion in 1917, & was also Commissioned into the R.A. / Pioneer Corps for WW2. Well, I am truly very thankful for your most welcome reply, as I can actually begin to complete my Notebook on Lieutenant Hockly, finally !!  

Best,    Dom Pastore Jr. 

• Admin

Dom, I have again removed your email address from a post. It’s never a good idea to put information like that on public view, as spammers can harvest.

Oops, I'm so very sorry, it won't happen again ! I'm just so conditioned to sign off like that, it's almost second nature !! Now that I'm aware of it, I'll have it in mind.

THANK YOU Michelle !!

Best   Dom P.

Edited by Domenic Pastore Jr.

1 hour ago, Domenic Pastore Jr. said:

Hello 'FROGSMILE',  I can not possibly THANK YOU enough for your every kind & extremely appreciated reply to this particular query !! I have honestly been seeking an answer to this question for many, many years now, & all I've gotten were pretty much the same, some form of 'Rifle Brigade', which I was absolutely certain was not the answer I was looking for. I looked into all manner of R.E. units ever since obtaining a copy of his Service File from the PRO years ago. Other than him being a bonafide Loos / Hill 70 WIA, he was also heir to one of the first, or 'founding families' of South Africa, according to what viva been advised ? Just the other day I made contact with someone from the Victoria, British Columbia, Canada Public Library, & she so very kindly provided me with his Death Certificate, along with an extremely brief Obituary.

( I was honestly hoping for a nice, well detailed Obit, but it just wasn't to be ! ) He also appears to have served during WW2, in either the R.A., & or the 'Pioneer Corps', which does appear to look like somewhere they delegated all the 'older Officers / Gentlemen' to ? Exact same scenario happened to another one of my British Groups, an WW1 M.M. to an Canadian L/Cpl who was decorated for his actions as part of a Lewis Gun Crew during the St. Eloi Craters fiasco. He too was later Commissioned into the 1st C.M.G. Battalion in 1917, & was also Commissioned into the R.A. / Pioneer Corps for WW2. Well, I am truly very thankful for your most welcome reply, as I can actually begin to complete my Notebook on Lieutenant Hockly, finally !!  

Best,    Dom Pastore Jr. 

I’m glad to have been of some small assistance Dom Pastore Jr.

You are 100% correct that the Pioneer Corps was often chosen as the best place for older officers with experience from WW1.  Indeed in the lead up to the evacuation from Dunkirk a full battalion sized group of pioneers formed largely from WW1 veterans of all ranks provided part of the defensive perimeter force and, as they had originally been only armed as a proportion of their strength, they were handed the platoon weapons and reserve rifles of a Welsh Guards battalion.  Not only did they hold the line, withdraw and embark in good order, but back in Britain returned the weapons to the Welsh Guards well used but cleaned, and fully functional.  Several honours were awarded.  They continued in that vein for the rest of the war and on D-Day 13 companies of pioneers landed with the first wave and a further 10 companies with the second wave.  By the end of D+2 three Group HQs and 42 companies of pioneers were ashore.  I declare a vested interest in this as the pioneer corps was one of the badges that I wore during my 40-years in the Army and they never failed to impress me with their capabilities and can-do attitude.  My fellow officer colleagues were a mixture of veteran transferees from across the Army and older men with a great diversity of life experience whose age made them unfitted for careers elsewhere.  The sum total of that experience was quite extraordinary.

Edited by FROGSMILE

THANKS again Frogsmile, I always appreciate relevant input. And, while we're on the Pioneers, IIRC, one of my more recent M.B.E.'s [ Military, 1st type ] was another Pioneer 'recruit' of the WW2 era. This man had been decorated with the M.B.E. for his part in repelling an IRA Flying Column's attack on a British supply convoy in County Mayo on 03 May 1921. It's truly amazing what a few Lewis Guns can accomplish when really needed. The recipient, Lieut.George Craig was decorated along with the convoys C.O., Lieut. Geoffrey Ibberson. This particular action was also referred to as "The Tourmakeady Affair.

Dom P.

15 hours ago, Domenic Pastore Jr. said:

THANKS again Frogsmile, I always appreciate relevant input. And, while we're on the Pioneers, IIRC, one of my more recent M.B.E.'s [ Military, 1st type ] was another Pioneer 'recruit' of the WW2 era. This man had been decorated with the M.B.E. for his part in repelling an IRA Flying Column's attack on a British supply convoy in County Mayo on 03 May 1921. It's truly amazing what a few Lewis Guns can accomplish when really needed. The recipient, Lieut.George Craig was decorated along with the convoys C.O., Lieut. Geoffrey Ibberson. This particular action was also referred to as "The Tourmakeady Affair.

Dom P.

I’m fairly sure that I’ve seen a memorial to ‘The Tourmakeady Affair’, there are several small stone memorials to IRA men in killed Co Mayo.  It was up on high ground in a boggy moor overlooking a winding road and an obvious ambush position.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Remembering the men named on my local War Memorial.

25th September, 1915
Charles Arthur Munro ANDERSON, Piper S/5721, 8th Seaforths, age 20.
John BLACKWOOD, Pte S/13910, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 20.
Peter BOYLE, Pte S/15522, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 22.
Abraham CRAW, Pte 16578, 10th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), age 18.
John CRAIG, Pte S/14124, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 20.
James CUNNINGHAM, Pte 12306, 9th Cameronians (Scottish Rifles), age 25.
William DICKSON, Pte 13525, 7th King's Own Scottish Borderers, age 18.
Daniel FERGUSON, Pte S/14120, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 20.
Harry Gibson FLINT, Pte S/15518, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 23.
Connel KERR, Pte S/14409, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 19.
Robert Leggate MOORE, L/Cpl S/14320, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 22.
James Frame POLLOCK, Pte 13552, 7th King's Own Scottish Borderers, age 21.
Alexander RUSSELL, Pte S/15271, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 24.
Frank SMITH, Pte 15753, 8th King's Own Scottish Borderers, age 19.
John Ballantine SMITH, Pte 17757, 7th King's Own Scottish Borderers, age 27.
James SPALDING, Pte S/14126, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 18.
John SWINTON, Pte 13623, 7th King's Own Scottish Borderers, age 21.

26th September, 1915
Joseph BURGESS, Pte S/7632, 10th Gordon Highlanders, age 24.
Thomas WATSON, Pte S/14130, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 21.

27th September, 1915
David BEATON, L/Cpl S/15531, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 23.

28th September, 1915
Andrew HAMILTON, S/15234, 7th Cameron Highlanders, age 25.

Lest We Forget!

I can add two soldiers that died  25. 9. 1915.

18119 Pte. E. Thomas. R. W. Fus.  Evan Thomas was from Merthyr Tydfil.

34203. Pte. W. L. Jones. Welsh R.   William Llewellyn Jones was from  Swansea.

Lyn.