9th Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers:

Pte John Shellam

1st Battalion Northamptonshire Regiment:

Captain Anketell Moutray Read, VC

2nd Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment:

Captain Arthur Kilby, VC, MC

28th Punjabis:

Lt Elliot Grasett

and also Pte Henry Cooper, 10th Battalion Sherwood Foresters, who died of wounds in Belgium on this day.

May they all rest in peace.

Jimmy

Remembering Private 13793 Henry Whittle,

10th Battalion, Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Killed in action aged just 17 on the 25th September 1915.

Son of Mrs. Joanna Whittle, of 29, Lomax St., Great Harwood, Blackburn, Lancs.

Guest KevinEndon

I was praying something would have been on the television this weekend but alas my prayers were not answered. At least with the pals on here, those who fell at Loos will be remembered on the 92nd anniversary of this horrific battle.

Lest we forget

Nice to see so many, many pals remembering.

Kevin

Remmbering Thomas Hutchinson Mcmillan.

Not forgoten.

BORN: About 1889.

P.O.B: Kirkintilloch.

ENLISTED: Hamilton.

FATHER: John McMillan - Colliery Engineman (Deceased).

MOTHER: Margaret Hutchison, 10 Townhead Street, Kirkintilloch.

SPOUSE: Not known.

19170 Sergeant

12th Battalion Highland Light Infantry

Killed in action 25th September 1915 - Battle of Loos.

Kirkintilloch Herald 10th November 1915

Mrs. Mcmillan, who resides at Graham's Buildings, Townhead, Kirkintilloch, has got no word from her husband, Sergt. Thomas McMillan, of the 12th H.L.I., since prior to the big fight. Sergt. McMillan who was in the habit of writing home regularly two or three times a week, and naturally Mrs. McMillan is in a great state of anxiety. The authorities can furnish no information. Last week she received the following letter from Sergt. McMillan's cousin, who is a soldier in France: -

" Just a few lines in answer to your letter about Tom. I have been trying my best to ascertain what has become of him, but I have got no further news yet. You see, when we went into the engagement our battalions were separated from one another, and I didn't get time to see him. Tom's regiment was in a different brigade from mine. He is in the 46th Brigade, and mine is the 45th. All I know at present is that Tom's regiment was in the trenches at the time of the bombardment, and when the order was given, his regiment would be among the first to go over the parapet. After that nobody seems to know where Tom got to, but he had a chance either of being killed, wounded or gassed. On the other hand, it is quite easy to amissing in the turmoil that takes place. There is a possibility of him being a prisoner. There were two or three men of our division taken prisoners. Of course, if he had been taken prisoner you ought to have heard from him by this time. All I can tell you at present is that he has been reported missing in his regiment. The word that I got after the fight was that he had been killed, but finally nobody knew anything about him."

Any news from comrades at the front about her husband will be gratefully received by Mrs. McMillan.

Kirkintilloch Herald 24th November 1915

For some weeks we have noted among other Kirkintilloch men missing Sergeant Thomas McMillan, of the 12th H.L.I. whose wife resides at Graham's Buildings, Kirkintilloch.

Sergeant McMillan went amissing on the occasion of the big push on 25th September, and Mrs. McMillan knew there was something far wrong when no letters came from him, for he was in the habit of writing regularly, sometimes two or three times a week. Inquiries were prosecuted, but neither the authorities nor friends at the front knew anything about him further than that he went over the parapet on the memorable 25th and never came back. It was hoped that he had been taken prisoner, but that last gleam of hope was shattered last week when Mrs McMillan received the following letter from Quarter Master Sergeant Forsyth, C. Coy., 12th H.L.I.:

"I have at last found news of Tom from one of our men who was wounded, but has now rejoined the Regiment. It is with feelings of heart felt sorrow that I convey the news that your husband was killed on the 25th September. No words of mine can give expression of our sorrow at the loss of such a fine soldier and comrade, and the non commissioned officers and men of our Coy. join with me in sending their sincere sympathy to you in the loss you have sustained. If there is anything further you wish to know, I will consider it my duty to communicate same to you. The man who saw your husband is Private A. Montgomerie, of my Coy."

The family came to reside in Kirkintilloch about three years ago. Mrs McMillan is left with three children, having lost a little girl five months ago.

Kirkintilloch Herald 20th September 1917

IN MEMORIAM

McMILLAN - In loving memory of my deaar Husband, Sergeant T. H. McMillan,

No. 19170. 12th Batt., H.L.I., who was officially reported missing at the Battle of

Loos, 25th September 1915, and now officially reported killed on that date.

Two years have passed since that sad day

when my dear husband was called away;

God took him home, it was his will:

Forget him; no we never will

Sleep on dear daddy, and take thy rest,

They miss you most who loved you best

Inserted by his Widow and Three Children

- 111 Broughton Road, Edinburgh

• Admin

Bringing this back up to the top on the 92nd anniversary of the battle commencing

Lest We Forget

Michelle

D London Irish Rifles Company The London Regiment held their Loos Day parade on Sunday when the lads who fell at Loos were remembered.

We also remembered those of the London Regiment who will be returning from their tour in Afghanistan in a couple of weeks.

Remembering those men of the 8th & 9th Devonshires who gave their lives 92 years ago today. Sadly, far too many to name here, but each one of them Honoured here.

John

Just finished transcribing September diary of 1st Bn Scots Guards. So fresh in memory. Just picked two killed on that day 27 th John Anderson 8826 and George Edward Hogg 11261 both 1st Bn Scots Guards, also to the other 116 guardsmen missing or killed during the battle R.I.P. Their memory lives on.

Remembering the men that fell at Loos 92 years ago today. Also the men that fell in the diversionary attacks for Loos on the 25th and the Rifle Brigade men that fell in these attacks, the 12th Rifle Brigade at Pietre, the 2nd Rifle Brigade at Bois Grenier and the 9th Rifle Brigade at Bellewaarde, often overlooked due to Loos but not forgotten.

R.I.P.

Andy

Albert Henry WENHAM S/N 13230 of the 8th Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment

Born in 1895 - Died on 25th September 1915 at the Battle of Loos

Remembering Rifleman Ernest Groves R7559 of 1st Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps who was killed in action during the Battle of Loos on 29 September 1916.

1/KRRC were part of "Carter's Force" - 3 btns detached from 2nd Division as reinforcements for 7th Division - during the repeated attacks on The Quarries.

2/Worcestershire with 1/KRRC's machine gun units and the rest of 1/KRRC in support attempted to recapture The Quarries on the afternoon of 26th September, but grind to a halt just short. During this assault Maj-Gen Capper, OC 7th Div, is killled.

They then hold the positions gained along with elements of the 7th Division until relief on the night of 29/30 September.

The enemy launched several major attacks including one on the 29th where 1/KRRC are bombed all the way back down St Elie Avenue before regrouping and counter-attacking back to their original barricades.

Presumably Rfn Groves fell during that action.

I shall be placing some information about this on the War Memorial in the tiny village of Over Peover in Cheshire where Rfn Groves lived. His name is inscribed there along with George Groves, certainly a relation, and a handful of others from the village.

May they not be forgotten.

25th September was also when my own grandfather first saw serious action with 12/KRRC supporting 12/RB on the "diversionary" attack on Fromelles on the Laventie front that Andy mentions above.

Mark

Dundee's losses at Loos are remembered by the lighting of the beacon, which is also the War Memorial, on the Law every 25th of September.

Aye

Just drove up to Monikie area, and was disappointed not to see the beacon lit up. Maybe I was too far away.

Wish I knew how to light up my avatar.

Neil

"24 Sept In trenches at Noyelles

At 2130, Battn moved to front line trenches at G10b prior to attack. It rained heavily about 2000. The Battn received orders to attack the German fortified position at 0630. During the night it rained in torrents, and the trenches were half full of water. At 2200, the Battn left the trenches at Noyelles, and moved forward through Vermelles (which was in ruins, ans was occupied thickly by Field Artillery), through the maze of trenches to it's position. The mud was knee deep. Everyone was pretty wet and muddy by the time our position in the line was reached.

25 Sept In assault position in front of Vermelles

The Battn was in position about midnight, distributed as follows:

C Coy, in the front line trench, under Lt William Cooper. A total of 184 men: 138 men, 19 Machine gunners, 21 bombers, 2 stretcher bearers, 4 signallers. In this and all Coys, the Machine gunners and others were under special arrangements, so the Coy strength was in reality about 140.

A Coy in first support, about 80 yards behind C. 176 men (125+16+24+6+5) under Capt Henry J. de Trafford.

D Coy in second support, another 80 yards behing A. 184 men (130+23+26+4+1) under Capt Claude Limbery.

B Coy in the old British trenches 50 yards behind D. 185 men (131+17+24+8+5) under Lt Henry Burke.

The Battn strength was therefore 729 OR plus 21 officers plus MO. The Battn staff consisted of:

Lt Col Robert Montgomery Ovens CMG, Commanding

Capt Henry Warwick MacGeorge, Acting Adjutant

Lt Geoffrey Beville Schon, Machine Gun Officer

Capt Henry William Parnis, RAMC, Medical Officer

RSM Joseph Snape.

There was also a Brigade Machine Gun Officer (who was killed during the assault) and under whose orders our guns were brigaded.

The line occupied by the Battn was 300 yards long, facing nearly due East. The German line we were told off to attack was about 450 yards long and strongly fortified, powerfully strengthened with flank defence. In front was exceptionally thick wire, and strong posts. There were small redoubts, manned with numerous Machine guns, at intervals, and the left flank was enfiladed by a variety of fire from Hohenzollern Fort and Fosse 8.

The distance to be traversed was approximately 500 yards. Behind the German front line were communication trenches and a powerful 2nd line. Behind that on higher ground were the Quarries, and further on Cite St Elie.

The 20th Brigade were on our right, with 21st Brigade in support. The order "Get ready to charge" came down the line, and Lt Cooper, whose eyes had been on his watch, gave the order "Scouts and wire cutters advance", at 0628. Directly after, at 0630, the order was given to the Coys to advance. C Coy climbed up the ladders and advanced through the smoke, which was very dense. This, I may mention, was chiefly caused by smoke bombs, smoke candles and gas. There was also a thick cold mist and drizzling rain.

Lt Cooper lead his men on with the utmost gallantry and was killed on the German wire. Had he lived, he would have been recommended for the DSO. He was a most gallant officer, much loved and respected by all ranks.

A Coy came on splendidly, ably lead by Capt de Trafford, who behaved with thegreatest coolness and daring, and would also have been recommended for the DSO had he not been killed. He fell on the German wire, and his last words were "Don't mind me, push ahead". Truly he and Lt Cooper, and all the officers, NCOs and men who fell on this fateful day deserve the undying gratitude and respect of their country and their regiment.

Lt Bell with A Coy, also did excellent work and proved himself - as at Festubert - a leader of men.

D Coy, lead by Capt Limbery, did gallant work under their plucky young commander, who, with many others, was wounded. capt Limbery was recommended for a MC.

B Coy, under Lt Burke, was reserve Coy in the fourth line, and were very well lead by this extremely young officer who displayed much bravery and keenness. He was, it is much regretted, killed during the advance. Had he lived, he would have been recommended for a MC.

There is very little to describe about the actual assault, but the facts stand out very clearly. To make a long story short, the gallant 1st South Staffords rose to their feet at 0628, advanced in extended order - about 3 paces interval between each man - and moved steadily forward against this almost impregnable position. They stormed it, and took the second or support line. And what remained of this magnificent old regiment moved on, and with other units mixed up with them, captured the Quarries. Some of them, with their CO, went on, up to about 50 yards of the German position in Cite St Elie.

The Battn lost in this attack about the following number:

430 NCOs and men killed or wounded, out of 729

9 officers killed, 8 wounded (1 died), and 1 gassed, of 21 who went into action.

The following officers were killed:

Capt H.J.de Trafford

Lt H.J.Burke

Lt R.J.Richardson

2/Lt K.Dunlop (died of wounds on the 26th)

2/Lt W. Cooper

2/Lt H.W.Bone

2/Lt W.N.O.Lee

2/Lt H.C.Reynard

Capt H.W.MacGeorge

2/Lt C.G.Weitzmann (died of wounds).

These officers were wounded:

Capt C.Limbery

Lt G.H.Osborne

Lt E.Bell

2/Lt L.E.Henderson

2/Lt B.J.Kirchner

2/Lt H.A.Cundall

And suffering from gas poisoning:

Major S.Bonner DSO

2/Lt D.S.Glover".

The 1st South Staffords. Remembered.

Of the above, I would like in particular to remember 2/Lt William Cooper.

William was a tin plate worker aged 18 years and 10 months when he enlisted into the regular army for the standard term of 7 years with the colours and 5 more on the reserve, on 30 July 1896. He was already serving as a part-time volunteer in the 3rd King's Own Stafford Militia. His father was another William Cooper, of Prestwood Road, Heath Town near Wolverhampton. William was accepted for general service and became Private 4888.

He saw periods of service in South Africa (July 1903 to June 1904), Gibraltar (February 1911 to January 1913) and South Africa again (February 1913 to August 1914) prior to the war. William married Edith Griffiths at St Mary's Church in Bushbury on 7 January 1906. In the same year, he chose to extend his colour service to the full twelve years. The couple had three children: Sidney William, born at Bordon in March 1907, and twins Lester Claude and Ernest Reginald,born in January 1910 at the Military Families Hospital at Devonport.

William was a Quartermaster Sergeant when the battalion landed at Zeebrugge in October 1914. On the death of RSM Richard Baker on 7 November 1914, William was made Regimental Sergeant Major: he was one of the very few survivors of the First Battle of Ypres. William was commissioned in the field on 7 April 1915. He was killed in action in the attack on Hulluch on 25 September 1915, has no known grave and is commemorated on the Memorial to the Missing at Loos. At the time of his death, the family lived at 112 Milton Road, Wolverhampton.

My Uncle John Davies was wounded at Loos on 28rt Sept.,whilst serving with the 1st Bn Scots Guards, see my article "My Familys' War" in The Great War Magazine Issue 10 November 2003, an excerpt is below.

Early on the morning of the 27th September 1915 John Davies marched into Loos with the 1st Scots Guards. Loos had been taken on the 25th and held in spite of a heavy German artillery barrage including many gas shells. The battalion went into trenches north of the village, and remained there that day and at 3.40pm it intensified, concentrating on the area around Puits and the nearer foreground, the woodland of Bois Hugo. John Davies advanced with the battalion up the slope leading to Puits14bis. The first 1,100 yards of the advance was downhill and passed at the double under shell fire, which did not cause any serious casualties. As they started uphill for the last 400 yards they suffered heavily from machine gun fire and suffered casualties. In the period from the 27th to the 30th September the 1st Scots Guards had 27 killed, 324 wounded and 98 missing, a total of 429. It was during this period, on the 28th, that John Davies suffered a gunshot wound which fractured his right leg. Evacuated to a casualty clearing station he was eventually sent back to England on the 6th-7th October after 284 days in France. Returning to the 3rd Battalion, a training battalion, he spent 354 days in England recuperating from his wounds and retraining. Prior to returning to France he was granted home leave. On returning from this leave he was stopped by Military Police on Preston Railway Station for being improperly dressed, he was not wearing his puttees, and his punishment was to be confined to barracks for 3 days.

John survived the war, only to die on 11 Jan 1941, at Blackpool Victoria Hospital, as a consequence of being gassed in WW1. As well as serving in the Scots Guards he served in The Guards Machine Gun Battalion, The Machine Gun Guards, finishing up in the Labour Corps. 543 Agriculltural Company (M.G.G.)

Fred

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not forgetting the Kitchener men of the 8th Royal Berks who were serving in 1st Bde, 1st Division and treated as regulars - not an easy role for the volunteers

Remermber all these men of the Royal Berks who died on the 25th Sept 1915

surname xnames serial town memorial or cemetery

Abinger Bernard Russell Ploegsteert Memorial

Allen Francis Henry 10693 Norwich Guards' Cemetery - Cuinchy

Allen Frederick James 7179 Wallingford Ploegsteert Memorial

Allum George 10118 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

Amos William 14052 Limehouse Loos Memorial

Ancott Charles 14801 Atherstone Loos Memorial

Anderson Alexander 10608 Sandhurst Ploegsteert Memorial

Anderson George Thomas 11555 London Ploegsteert Memorial

Ashford Leonard 14645 Birmingham Loos Memorial

Ashmore Leonard Phillip 14149 Dulwich Village Loos Memorial

Ashworth Robert Samuel 17307 Mile End Loos Memorial

Bailey Albert John 9523 Mortimer Ploegsteert Memorial

Baker Percy R 16122 South Moreto Loos Memorial

Barnes Arthur 11299 Pinkneys Green Loos Memorial

Barnes Arthur Moody 8825 Mill Hill Ploegsteert Memorial

Barrett Edward Walter 16338 Kintbury Ploegsteert Memorial

Beales Edward Ernest 10259 Spencers Wood Ploegsteert Memorial

Bennett William 16104 Drayton Loos Memorial

Bew Harry 10320 Epsom Ploegsteert Memorial

Bishop Stanley 16648 Enborne Ploegsteert Memorial

Bitmead Albert Arthur 9631 Islington Ploegsteert Memorial

Blatch James 8425 Woodspeen Ypres Reservoir Cem

Blissett Harry John 11466 Islington Ploegsteert Memorial

Blockley Percy George 14909 Forden Loos Memorial

Bloxham Thomas William 14580 Coventry Loos Memorial

Bolton Henry 17334 Bromley by Bow Loos Memorial

Bolton Victor Alma 9007 Marcham Ploegsteert Memorial

Booth Albert 15628 Chiswick Loos Memorial

Bourne Charles Alfred 5990 Oxford Ploegsteert Memorial

Brace Sydney 13473 Forest Gate Loos Memorial

Bradley Arthur Alfred 9219 Twickenham Ploegsteert Memorial

Brettell Frederick 14716 Smethwick Loos Memorial

Bristow Henry James 13184 Binfield Loos Memorial

Britnell Albert 10105 High Wycombe Ploegsteert Memorial

Britton Frederick Herbert 13976 Plumstead Dud Corner Cem

Brogden Thomas 14868 Bracknell Loos Memorial

Bromwich Thomas Albert 14886 Birmingham Loos Memorial

Brown Edmund George 8416 Shaldon Ploegsteert Memorial

Brown William 12906 London Becourt Military Cem

Buckley Albert 15317 Dudley Loos Memorial

Burchall Frank 17306 Faringdon Loos Memorial

Burfoot Frederick 14376 Henley Loos Memorial

Burgess Jack W 14624 Birmingham Loos Memorial

Burroughs Robert 13988 Barking Loos Memorial

Burton William Arthur (jack) 15864 Kintbury Ploegsteert Memorial

Bushell William Charles 13176 Reading Loos Memorial

Butcher John 15556 Bucklebury Loos Memorial

Buxcey Frederick 9733 Drayton Ploegsteert Memorial

Buxcey Reginald 10080 Wallingford Ploegsteert Memorial

Camden Ernest 10381 Wantage Loos Memorial

Cannon Alfred 18547 Oldbury Loos Memorial

Canter Tom 14509 Minety Loos Memorial

Carlill Sydney Francis 14629 Birmingham Loos Memorial

Carroll William 11543 Brixton Loos Memorial

Cassels Hugh Kennedy Hampstead Bois-Carre Military Cem

Challis William 14608 Embrook Loos Memorial

Chamberlain Maurice David 6976 Bracknell Ploegsteert Memorial

Chamness Alfred Charles 13717 East Ham Loos Memorial

Chaney J I 14606 Warfield Loos Memorial

Clark Thomas 14622 Birmingham Loos Memorial

Clarke George 18323 Napton Ploegsteert Memorial

Collins James 14535 Blewbury Loos Memorial

Collis Charles John 7215 Lee Ploegsteert Memorial

Cook Charles 9623 East Dulwich Ploegsteert Memorial

Cook George Ernest 9503 Dockhead Ploegsteert Memorial

Cooper Charles 14600 Highgate Loos Memorial

Cooper John 10070 Ecchinswell Ploegsteert Memorial

Cooper Sidney 10098 Oxford Ploegsteert Memorial

Couldrey Walter 8767 Oxford Ploegsteert Memorial

Cox Albert 9472 Farnham Ploegsteert Memorial

Cox Charles 13155 Compton Loos Memorial

Cox David John 17272 Reading Loos Memorial

Cox Frederick 10231 Maidenhead Le Trou Aid Post Cem

Cox Rupert 13200 Bradfield Loos Memorial

Cresswell Arthur 11685 Basildon Ploegsteert Memorial

Crockford Frederick Easter 11840 Plumstead Ploegsteert Memorial

Crozier Ernest John 13703 South Norwood Loos Memorial

Curtis Frederick E 14352 Greenham Newbury

Curtis Frederick E 14352 Greenham Loos Memorial

Daley William Edward 13234 Stratford Dud Corner Cem

Dalley Maurice 15087 Smethwick Loos Memorial

Darling Albert 10358 Abingdon Loos Memorial

Davenport William John 14433 Plaistow Dud Corner Cem

Dearlove Frederick 16654 Steventon Ploegsteert Memorial

Dew George Edward 7685 Hungerford Ploegsteert Memorial

Dugan Walter 17297 Stratford Loos Memorial

Dunk Frederick 13973 East Ham Loos Memorial

Eames Ernest 14626 Aylesbury Dud Corner Cem

Easden Herbert 9220 High Wycombe Ploegsteert Memorial

Ebbsworth Ernest William 16155 Shrivenham Loos Memorial

Edwards Edward 9055 Warfield Ploegsteert Memorial

Eldred Edward Henry 10525 Thatcham White City Cem

Elliott Cuthbert Henry 13482 Chelsea Dud Corner Cem

Eltham Ernest 5694 Wantage Ploegsteert Memorial

Englefield William John 9806 Eastney Ploegsteert Memorial

Eustace James Henry 15541 Swansea Loos Memorial

Fairminer Edward James 16615 Farnham Ploegsteert Memorial

Farnorth William 8122 Nottingham Ploegsteert Memorial

Fitzgerald John 13861 Walthamstow Loos Memorial

Frankum George 8969 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

Freeman Frederick Albert 15551 Cippenham Dud Corner Cem

French John 5531 Newbury Ploegsteert Memorial

Fyfe William George 7263 Kensington Ploegsteert Memorial

Gage Henry Robert James 13844 Westminster Loos Memorial

Gaisford Dudley 8257 Bethnal Green Ploegsteert Memorial

Galt Maurice 13140 Aldermaston Loos Memorial

Gardener William 8199 Bethnal Green Ploegsteert Memorial

Gardner Wilfred Harry 10014 London Ploegsteert Memorial

Garlick Albert Brice 9765 Shaw Rue-Petillon Mil Cem

Gay John William 13139 Aldermaston Loos Memorial

Gaze Jesse 5164 Reading Loos Memorial

Gaze Jesse 15226 Reading Loos Memorial

Glen David Corse Abbots Langley Dud Corner Cem

Goddard George Henry 15509 Warfield Loos Memorial

Godfrey Sidney John 16138 Cookham Dean Loos Memorial

Goodall Tom 16612 Shefford Woodlands Noeux-les-Mines Comm Cem

Goodchild Walter John 9589 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

Gosling Charles Henry 15995 Faringdon Loos Memorial

Greatrix Herbert 13146 Aldermaston Cabaret Rouge Brit Cem

Green Frederick Adolphus 15441 Balsall Heath Loos Memorial

Green Frederick William 9935 Reading Loos Memorial

Green James 14448 Binfield Dud Corner Cem

Greenaway Sidney George 16089 Stanford In The Vale Loos Memorial

Gregory Geoffrey Francis Hook Ploegsteert Memorial

Gregory William 13642 Finsbury Loos Memorial

Gregson James Sherriff 13429 Walthamstow Loos Memorial

Grice William 14858 West Bromwich Loos Memorial

Grout Alfred Charles 13775 Stockwell Dud Corner Cem

Guest-Williams Wynne Austin Ploegsteert Memorial

Gylby Leonard William 9532 Swindon Ploegsteert Memorial

Hampton Ernest Howard 14092 East Ham Loos Memorial

Hanna Douglas Murray Dud Corner Cem

Harding Walter Oliver 16701 Plymouth Loos Memorial

Harris Frederick 5448 Wallingford Ploegsteert Memorial

Harris Frederick 14372 Hinton Waldrist Loos Memorial

Harris Shirley 13138 Leicester Loos Memorial

Hawkins George Arthur 14918 Sherstone Loos Memorial

Haynes William Gray Reading Bois-Carre Military Cem

Hedges Frederick Mortimer 8400 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

Hemley Alexander James 9294 Southmoor Ploegsteert Memorial

Hemming Albert 15018 Abingdon Ploegsteert Memorial

Hey George Leonard 10069 Walthamstow Ploegsteert Memorial

Hicks Basil Perrin Leamhurst Dud Corner Cem

Higson Morris 11520 Nelson Ploegsteert Memorial

Hill Ernest 13303 Ecchinswell Loos Memorial

Hillier Reuben Ernest 10626 Kennington Ploegsteert Memorial

Hillier Stanley Alfred 13066 Didcot Loos Memorial

Hillyer Albert 14463 Newbury Loos Memorial

Hobbs Alfred 15788 Great Shefford Ploegsteert Memorial

Hobbs William 9454 Niagara Falls NY Ploegsteert Memorial

Hobbs William George Kew Gardens Loos Memorial

Holmes Charles Edward 11965 Battersea Ploegsteert Memorial

Homer Arthur Thomas 8130 Ploegsteert Memorial

Horwood Christopher William 9228 Wembley Ploegsteert Memorial

Housham George Jackson 9373 Bexhill Ypres Reservoir Cem

Howard Walter 8606 Farnham Ploegsteert Memorial

Hudson Thomas 14450 Ascot Loos Memorial

Hunt John William 14069 Custom House Loos Memorial

Hunt William Thomas 14346 Burghclere Loos Memorial

Hutchins Allan 14011 Steventon Ploegsteert Memorial

Hyde George William 15465 Cheltenham Ploegsteert Memorial

Ingham Ernest 8986 Slough Ploegsteert Memorial

James Frederick Herbert 15815 West Bromwich Ploegsteert Memorial

Jarrad Charles William 11826 Oxley Ploegsteert Memorial

Jarvis Alexander Joseph 13091 Wantage Dud Corner Cem

Jarvis William George 14077 Walthamstow Loos Memorial

Jenkins Richard James 15722 Ecchinswell Ploegsteert Memorial

Jenkinson Arthur 14633 Gomsall Pont-a-Vendin CC

Jennings John 16185 Smethwick Ploegsteert Memorial

Jones Thomas 14734 Bradford Loos Memorial

Jones William 10174 Wallingford White City Cem

Jones William Henry 15215 Boyne Hill Loos Memorial

Josey John 5699 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

Keable Harold Charles Linford Farnham Bois-Carre Military Cem

Kearse Carter Augustus Lionel 13605 Arborfield Loos Memorial

Kersley Arthur Edwin 14552 Walsall Loos Memorial

King Charles Edward George 16280 Kintbury Ploegsteert Memorial

King John 16341 Kintbury Ploegsteert Memorial

Kitchell Thomas 6633 Petworth Ploegsteert Memorial

Knight Bertie 7868 Portsmouth Ploegsteert Memorial

Lanigan William Joseph 11639 Custom House Ploegsteert Memorial

Latarche William George 13246 Bromley by Bow Loos Memorial

Laver Rudolph John 13625 Leytonstone Loos Memorial

Lawrence Ernest Walter 7392 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

Lee Joe 8696 Ploegsteert Memorial

Leonard George 9194 Ploegsteert Memorial

Levy Joseph 13677 Bethnal Green Loos Memorial

Lewin W Ernest 13755 Mile End Loos Memorial

Lewis Thomas Frederick Hawkes 15374 Faringdon Ploegsteert Memorial

Light Harry 9816 Crazies Hill Ploegsteert Memorial

Litchfield Thomas 8292 High Wycombe Ypres Reservoir Cem

Lloyd James Ambrose 9081 Windsor Ploegsteert Memorial

Locke John William 7985 Alresford Ploegsteert Memorial

Long William 15633 Tilehurst Loos Memorial

Lord Harry Lewis 15583 Oxford Dud Corner Cem

Lovejoy Albert Edward 15604 Warfield Loos Memorial

Lovell David John 15423 Tipton Dud Corner Cem

Lovett William John 13707 Hoxton Loos Memorial

Mann William 16107 Worcester Loos Memorial

Mariner Arthur William John 14371 Twyford Twyford

Mariner Arthur William John 14371 Twyford Loos Memorial

Marshall William Thomas 14221 Swindon Loos Memorial

Martin Arthur Nelson George 15214 Chilton Foliat Loos Memorial

May Frank 16769 Battersea Ploegsteert Memorial

May Victor Marvell 14761 Reading Loos Memorial

Mayho Ernest Archibald 8737 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

McKernan Vincent 13817 Shepherds Bush Loos Memorial

McMillan William 14187 Windsor Loos Memorial

Mesher George 16139 Great Marlow Ploegsteert Memorial

Middleton William 15528 Windsor Loos Memorial

Millard George Herbert 220182 Farnborough St Julien Dressing Stn Cem

Miller George 14550 Walsall Loos Memorial

Mitchell John R 15629 Chiswick Loos Memorial

Montano Henry Alfred 14436 Buckhurst Hill Loos Memorial

Morse Tom 16629 Tennant Ploegsteert Memorial

Musselwhite Arthur 13554 Newbury Loos Memorial

Nightingale George Frank 9199 Walthamstow Rue-Petillon Mil Cem

Nilen William 7997 Loos Memorial

Norris John 10333 Didcot Loos Memorial

Norvall Charles George Hughes 10464 Boscombe Ploegsteert Memorial

Oke Robert William Leslie Ploegsteert Memorial

Oldman Wilfred Southey Deare Sonning Bois-Carre Military Cem

O'Regan James 9818 Upper Holloway Ploegsteert Memorial

Oughton John 17276 London Loos Memorial

Palmer Charles 13156 Reading Loos Memorial

Paramore Charles Gordon Mortimer Dud Corner Cem

Park Charles William Henry 13233 Bow Loos Memorial

Partridge Frank 14496 Newbury Loos Memorial

Partridge Joseph 11447 Camden Town Ploegsteert Memorial

Payne Herbert 6342 Marlow Ploegsteert Memorial

Peachey Wilfred John 15619 Newbury Loos Memorial

Peacock Thomas Gordon Loos Memorial

Perry Thomas Edward 16832 Pewsey Ploegsteert Memorial

Phipps Sidney George 15422 Leamington Loos Memorial

Poole George 9722 Bampton Ploegsteert Memorial

Poole Reginald William 14353 Tilehurst Loos Memorial

Powell Percy 7752 Chippenham Loos Memorial

Pratt Frederick James 14047 East Ham Loos Memorial

Preston James 13199 Crookham Common Loos Memorial

Preston William T 14400 Crookham Common Loos Memorial

Prior Ernest Thomas 5611 Reading Loos Memorial

Proctor Henry 16810 Coventry Loos Memorial

Purnell George 14447 Coventry Loos Memorial

Pusey Harry 7577 Wooburn Common Ploegsteert Memorial

Rawlings William 9081 Oxford Ploegsteert Memorial

Richards Alfred 12574 Ploegsteert Memorial

Rideout Charles Henry 13604 Wokingham Loos Memorial

Rogers George Charles 16310 Thatcham Ploegsteert Memorial

Rollason Joseph 15432 Blackheath Loos Memorial

Rowland Francis Joseph 9796 Maidenhead Laventie Mil Cem

Rowney Herbert George 13294 Upton Manor Loos Memorial

Rutter Stanley 14169 Kirbymoorside Loos Memorial

Ryan William Kennedy 10397 Bromley by Bow Loos Memorial

Sarney William Frederick 14525 Reading Dud Corner Cem

Saunders Henry 14620 Ludlow Loos Memorial

Sawyers Sidney Edward 16640 Reading Dud Corner Cem

Seymour Joe 13068 Newbury Loos Memorial

Sibun Edward Charles 10240 Borough Ploegsteert Memorial

Simmons Russell Louis Harry Ploegsteert Memorial

Slatter Victor John 9147 Abingdon Ploegsteert Memorial

Small Albert John 16614 Pangbourne Dud Corner Cem

Smith Arthur 7613 Curridge Common Loos Memorial

Smith Clarence 14359 Whitchurch Loos Memorial

Smith Edwin George 15512 Reading Loos Memorial

Smith Sidney 16134 Curridge Loos Memorial

Smith Sidney John J 14712 Smethwick Loos Memorial

Smith Victor Robert 11775 Crowthorne Ploegsteert Memorial

Smith William G 16525 Leckhampstead Vieille-Chapelle New Mil Cem

Snapes Edward James 16225 Reading Loos Memorial

Snellin John 13778 Paddington Loos Memorial

Southgate George 8634 Leyton Ploegsteert Memorial

Sparkes Victor 9812 Camberley Ploegsteert Memorial

Speller James 9862 Ealing Ploegsteert Memorial

Spray Walter 15096 Hastings Loos Memorial

Standbrooke George Henry 13248 Bow Dud Corner Cem

Steele Albert 10262 Stratfield Turgis Ploegsteert Memorial

Stevens Alfred Henry 14160 Queens Park Loos Memorial

Stiles Harry 13250 Old Ford Loos Memorial

Street William John 16835 Thatcham Ploegsteert Memorial

Stroud Leonard 16342 Kintbury Ploegsteert Memorial

Sullivan Thomas 9793 Toronto White City Cem

Swain Albert 9727 Newbury Ploegsteert Memorial

Swain Arthur 18365 Walsall Ploegsteert Memorial

Taylor Raymond 17293 Harlow Loos Memorial

Tedder Matthew 9567 Feltham Ploegsteert Memorial

Thomas Albert Edward 6547 Battersea Ploegsteert Memorial

Thorling Harold William 13914 Upper Clapton Loos Memorial

Townsend Arthur 8892 Highclere Ploegsteert Memorial

Treble Percy George 14536 Bracknell Loos Memorial

Trim Frank 9349 Aberkenfig Ploegsteert Memorial

Trotter Ronald Herbert Gillett Whitchurch Ploegsteert Memorial

Trueman Frank 13586 Swindon Loos Memorial

Tucker Frederick John 14177 Waterloo Loos Memorial

Tull Arthur Dick 13117 Padworth Loos Memorial

Turner Harry 13608 Cholsey Loos Memorial

Turner Horace Arthur 5586 Shaw Ploegsteert Memorial

Turton Ernest 14708 Bear Wood Loos Memorial

Tyrrell Charles Henry 15513 Plaistow Loos Memorial

Upcroft Richard Montague 13675 Tottenham Loos Memorial

Upton Albert James 15430 Smethwick Loos Memorial

Upton Nathan 13121 Cuckfield Loos Memorial

Vesey James 3941 London Ploegsteert Memorial

Vesey James London Ploegsteert Memorial

Vidler Frederick Thomas 13158 Tunbridge Wells Loos Memorial

Vince James Leonard 13120 Basingstoke Loos Memorial

Viner Charles Rowland 13509 Bethnal Green Loos Memorial

Waite Ernest Steven 16372 Fawley Ploegsteert Memorial

Waite Frederick Charles 6510 Henley OT Ploegsteert Memorial

Walters James 17263 Bickley Loos Memorial

Warman Alfred George 8778 Acton White City Cem

Webb Bertie Thomas 10053 Cippenham Ploegsteert Memorial

Webb Joseph Albert 15567 Maidenhead Loos Memorial

Wenham Albert Henry 13230 Canning Town Loos Memorial

Weston Frank 5648 Long Wittenham Loos Memorial

Wheeler Charles Palliser Kilkenny Vieille-Chapelle New Mil Cem

Wheeler William James 8029 Sunninghill Ploegsteert Memorial

White Charles 11592 Bethnal Green Ploegsteert Memorial

White George 11889 Earley Loos Memorial

White Robert 15618 Maidenhead Loos Memorial

Whitfield Joseph William 17267 Hannay Loos Memorial

Wickens Stephen 9912 Tilehurst Ploegsteert Memorial

Wickson William 14962 Shenstone Loos Memorial

Wilkinson Frederick 10061 Romford Ploegsteert Memorial

Wilks Albert 9493 Ploegsteert Memorial

Williams Albert 8968 East Ilsley Ploegsteert Memorial

Williams Harold 15560 Bradfield Loos Memorial

Williams William John 5748 Burnham Ploegsteert Memorial

Willis Frederick 9896 Binfield Ploegsteert Memorial

Wilson Arthur 11877 Binfield Ploegsteert Memorial

Winters Henry Charles 17296 Bow Loos Memorial

Witherell Thomas Edward 10173 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

Witt Harry Sidney 11999 Kentish Town Vieille-Chapelle New Mil Cem

Wood Harry 14637 Smethwick Loos Memorial

Woodbridge Arthur 15840 Ploegsteert Memorial

Woodland Arthur Francis 13975 Brentwood Loos Memorial

Woodward Joseph 9212 Birmingham Ploegsteert Memorial

Wyatt Harry 14233 Gorse Hill Loos Memorial

Wyer Percy E 5408 Reading Ploegsteert Memorial

Young Christy William 13522 Homerton Dud Corner Cem

Young William Edward 12812 Slough Loos Memorial

The lads from the 4th (Denbighshire) Pioneer RWF battalion.

A working party of 54 were attached to the 47th Division to operate the smoke candles.

Pte David Edwards, 7178 k.i.a 26 /9/ 15

Pte Joe Hoyland, 202121 d.o.w. 5 /10/ 15

Pte Robert Thomas Hughes, 7284 k.i.a 25 /9/ 15

• 1 month later...

Remembering; Lance Corporal Percy Cresswell, from Dunnington, Warks. Number 481 2nd Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regiment. KIA, 25th Sept 1915, attacking Hulloch Quarries at battle of Loos. No known grave, remembered at Loos Memorial panels 22 - 25. God Bless - RIP.

• 4 weeks later...

5611 SGT Ernest Thomas Prior 8th Royal Berks Regt

14322 Pte Arthur Morris Priest 8th Royal Berks Regt

19381 Sgt Ernest Camden 8th Royal Berks Regt

Pte Charles King 2nd Royal Berks Regt 20 yrs

his brother Pte John King 2nd Royal Berks Regt 18 yrs

Colin

14096 William Henry Harris, "B" Coy. 9th Bn. Devonshire Regiment, 28, of Swansea, "regarded dead" on September 30.

JWF

Remembering my Great Grandfather Bernard Ernest Thomas, Royal Sussex regt, who died on this day 93 years ago - day one of the battle.

DELANEY, FREDERICK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 25/09/1915

Service No: 14662

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 39 and 40.

Killed as the battalion made preparations for the attack on the morning of the 26th.

Ca Ira!

Chris.