Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment's Medal Rolls

steve fuller

Steve,

That's brilliant, thank you, email will be on it's way. Thanks again!!!

Steve: I know that I got his SWB roll from you before but have changed computers and lost the orginal. Could you please have a look for me?

post-11437-1193017387.jpg

Doris

Hi Doris

Yes, I remember Mr Robbins but apparently my PC doesnt. Sorry. I can only think it was before my own 'great PC crash' in which I lost masses of data before I learned the value of detailed back ups.

Strangely, I have the rolls around his but no the page in question, although i can probably collect it when I venture off to Kew next time if you like? send me your email address again please & Ill pop it over to you in th enext few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steve

Please ignore this request if it is too time consuming. I wonder if you could look in the Bedfordshire Victory medal roll, which i hope is organised numerically, for a small batch of ex Lincolnshire Regt men that seem to have transferred via the Gloucs to the Bedfordshire's.

Lincs regt number first, then name, then Beds number:

379 Lincs; Arthur Neave; 204194 Bedfordshire

3508 Lincs; Walter Isgate; 204197 Beds

3795 Lincs; Burton Aves; 204198 Beds

4485 Jonathan Aistrope; 204199 Beds

3290 Joseph Woodforth; 204200 Beds

I am interested really in knowing their ex lincs Battalion, which should be 5th or 4th, rather than the full medal roll.

Kind Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Send me an email on steve@bedfordregiment.org.uk if you want the page(s) and i can send you them. Use the ref "WO329/931 p163" for the VM Roll (they are all on 1 page). Their Star Rolls are not obvious though. Do you either have the original ref's from the MIC's that i can convert, or an indication of whether they earned 14 or 15 Stars? I have manually looked through the various sections without success ...

If you just want the info though, it reads:

Arthur Neave - 379 in 1/4th Lincs, 285401 12 Glocs, 204194 1st Beds

Walter Isgate - 3508 1/5th Lincs, 37165 8 Glocs, 204197 1st Beds

Burton Aves - 3795 1/4th Lincs, 282391 12 Glocs, 204198 1st Beds

Jonathan Aistrope - 4485 1/5th Lincs, 285395 12 Glocs, 204199 1st Beds

Joseph Woodforth - 3290 1/5th Lincs, 285388 12 Glocs, 204200 1st Beds

Steve

Many thanks for the info, it is what i needed to confirm whether they were were ex 4th or 5th Lincs, so thanks for the kind offer to email the page but the info you have typed up is more than sufficient. None of these men would have been entitled to 1914 Stars, all being Territorials and members of Battalions that first went abroad in late Feb 1915.. Arthur Neave would have been a longstanding pre war member of the 4th Lincs, whilst Isgate, Aves and Woodforth would have joined up in the late summer/autumn of 1914 roughly. All four of these men could possibly have 14/15 Star entitlements dependant on whether they went abroad with the first line. Aisthorpe is very unlikely to have been abroad before the end of 1915, his Lincs number putting his enlistment at late October/Nov 1915. Steve Bramleys database has Isgate as living at 44 King edward Street, grimsby.

many thanks for the info

Chris

Hi Steve,

The above list, a query if you don't mind:

Was Aistrope definately 1/5th?

Regards,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

hi steve,

i wonder if you get chance to have a look up for my two uncles;

john bowskill beds reg . no2808 pte. dis. victory k/2/101b5/page 367

british " " " "

15 star 4/2/24b page 46.s.w.b.list tk/94

alfred bowskill2nd beds reg ,pte 9923 victory h/2/104 b3 page 281

british " " " "

14 star k/2/2 page 21. p.o.w.

many,many thanks jamesbow

Steve - it certainly says 1/5th, yes. It is typed so is nice & clear too.

Hi James

Have a few bits on the chaps ...

John Bowskill Pte 2808

Victory & BW Medals k/2/101b5/page 367 is now 'WO329/932 p367' which I have.

1915 star 4/2/24b page 46 is now 'WO329/2663 page 46' which I have

s.w.b.list tk/94 - I have the page K94 but he's not on it. Is it prefixed and is the 'T' definitely before the 'K'?

John enlisted as a Terrier around late 1910 / early 1911 from his service number and was discharged on 31-3-1916. He was certainly wounded on Gallipoli (probably 15th August 1915) as I also have him on a Times Casualty list. Quote 'The Times 4-11-1915' if you want a copy of that too. There is a story on my website about the battle if you have not come across it before as my Gt Gramps Gt Uncle were both there, so they may have all 'known' each other to some degree?

Alfred Bowskill Pte 9923

Victory & BW Medals h/2/104 b3 page 281 is now 'WO329/927 p281' which i have

1914 star k/2/2 page 21 is now 'WO329/2437 p21' which I have

P.O.W. - his roll confirms that and I also have him on a hand written list as a 1914 POW, resident of Arlsey. Looks like a 1at Ypres POW? Use 'Page 1' as a reference if you would.

Email me on steve@bedfordregiment.org.uk if you would like copies of the above, quoting the ref's I have used please - makes life a lot easier and my replies quicker!!

Hope there's somethign useful above. Cheers for now.

many ,many thanks for your help steve, a email is on its way.

best regards jamesbow

Hi Jan

I have both Medal Rolls although there is nothign useful in terms of info on them Im afraid. As with james, email me if you woudl like them.

His service number is within a grouping that is curious as it happens. Perhaps his age willd etermine the answer as some around him enlisted late July / early August 1911 and others are from the last few months of 1900. The prefix '4' tells us he was in the 4th Reserve Btn when war broke out as you may well know.

Hi

Many thanks for looking.

My gt uncle was born 1895 so he would have been about 16. I wonder if I have found the right or wrong Robert James Wells. Having said that, the family regarded him as a bit of a "jack the lad" and he volunteered for WW2 (Pioneer Corps) even though he was over age (or so I have been told!) So, I think it is back to the drawing board - just in case!

Anyway , I have sent you a PM with my email eddress - and once again, thank you for looking and for the information in your reply.

Regards

Jan

• 11 years later...
On 09/09/2007 at 10:50, steve fuller said:

Hi Pals

After the 'great PC crash of 2007' :wacko: , I started rebuilding my files and have finished collecting the Beds and Herts Medal Rolls, so if anyone wants one, give me a yell.

I have (for Officers and Other Ranks):

1914 Star Rolls

1915 Star Rolls

Victory Medal Rolls

Many SWB Rolls (bit am still working on finishing them)

If you have the original (or new) Medal Roll reference from the Medal Index Card that would be helpful, as i still have to finish the indexing (again :angry: ), so looking through thousands of pages may take time but if not, ask anyway.

Oh, and send me an email address to send them to as they are too large to add on here, as well as taking Chris's bandwith up ...

Cheers

hi Steve .... I'm trying to track down why my Grandfather Ernest Mould (Reg. No 6760 , 2nd Battalion Bedfordshire Regt) has an MID Oak Leaf on his WW1 Victory medal ... cannot find any MID reference in London Gazette nor on his Medal card ... do your Medal Rolls show this? ... would appreciate you help if you can .. Regards John Hawkins