Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment's Medal Rolls

steve fuller

Hi Pals

After the 'great PC crash of 2007' :wacko: , I started rebuilding my files and have finished collecting the Beds and Herts Medal Rolls, so if anyone wants one, give me a yell.

I have (for Officers and Other Ranks):

1914 Star Rolls

1915 Star Rolls

Victory Medal Rolls

Many SWB Rolls (bit am still working on finishing them)

If you have the original (or new) Medal Roll reference from the Medal Index Card that would be helpful, as i still have to finish the indexing (again :angry: ), so looking through thousands of pages may take time but if not, ask anyway.

Oh, and send me an email address to send them to as they are too large to add on here, as well as taking Chris's bandwith up ...

Cheers

Hello Steve,

Do you have any details regarding 7873 CSM F.C.Mart who was killed in action on the 29.4.1917 whilst serving with the 4th Battalion Bedfordshire Regiment ? Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Regards

Ron

Steve

You have been busy mate. I might have a few (dozen :rolleyes: ) for you.

Firstly anything on this chap

Cheers

Glyn

post-5500-1189337077.jpg

Ron

Frederick Charles Mart ended his service as a WOII in the 4th Btn.

His Victory and British War Medals are on page 178; if you want them, email me and use that reference so i can go straight to them! steve@bedfordregiment.org.uk However, I do not have a clue about his Star Medal - do you have his MIC with the reference on it please, so i can identify where he is?

He was killed just south of Oppy Wood if it helps, but I do not seem to have a grave photo either, which I expected to have.

I also have a Sgt 7814 AJ Mart, 1st Btn in the 1914 Star Rolls - any relation?

Hi Glyn

For info, K/2/4 is now WO329/2483 & K/2/101 B3 is now WO320/932. Both are on their way to you by email. Seem to have collected the Beds TFEM's but missed the Herts ones, unless he is recorded in the Essex perhaps? At any rate, I cannot help with that Im sorry to say mate.

Steve

All received.

Thanks for your time and effort on these.

Appreciated

Glyn

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your reply regarding Frederick Charles Mart, I'm sorry for the delayed response but my computer has been playing up. I would be most grateful for his Victory and British War Medals details on page 178, but I'm afraid I don't have his MIC with the Star reference. Do have any other info, photo or newspaper articles etc. I'll send you an email. I was aware of the other Mart, who may have received a gallantry award but don't know if they were related. Thanks again.

Regards

Ron

Hello Steve,

I sent you an email regarding F C Mart (see below), did you receive it ?

Regards

Ron

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your reply regarding Frederick Charles Mart, I'm sorry for the delayed response but my computer has been playing up. I would be most grateful for his Victory and British War Medals details on page 178, but I'm afraid I don't have his MIC with the Star reference. Do you have any other info, photo or newspaper articles etc. I'll send you an email. I was aware of the other Mart, who may have received a gallantry award but don't know if they were related. Thanks again.

Regards

Ron

Hi Ron

Yes, got your email but have just got back from a long trip around arious archives etc. Will have a look around my files this afternoon and email you what I have.

Sorry for the delay ... :rolleyes:

Hello Steve,

Thanks very much for your email, which I received today. I'll follow up the suggestions you made. Thanks again for your help, they look a very interesting family (Regimental Family ?)

Regards

Ron

You're welcome Ron. If they are your relatives, it is not entirely commonplace for 3 to have DCM's and a fourth to get an MID!! Best of luck with it all and give me a yell if you need anythign further.

Steve

Just wondered if you had either of these chaps

Private Charles Frederick Hickling 44771

Sorry thats all I've got other than he was Beds/Herts Reg.

and

Sergeant Albert Edward Johnson, Bedfordshire Regiment - thats all I have sorry.

Glyn

Hi Glyn

Hickling may not have been in the Beds for long as he seems to be in amongst a large chunk of men who were probably transferred out en masse between 44390 and 4500.

As for Albert Johnson, Pte later Sgt 8212 Albert Edward Johnson MM, an Old Contemptible from the 1st Btn coudl be your man? Landed France 16-8-1914 with the first wave, etc. There was also a 4/6986 Albert E Johnson in the Beds but his Rolls are under the Liverpools so cannot say what his middle name was for sure

Any other clues?

Steve

Do you have the BWM & Victory Medal Rolls to cover these men?

36229 LEE, Christopher James - Ref. K/2/104 B11 Page 762.

36772 CASTLE, Arthur C - Ref. K/2/104 B12 Page 767.

39347 ROGERS, Fred - Ref. K/2/104 B12 Page 784.

39348 SPENCER, James H - Ref. K/2/104 B12 Page 784.

45932 COOKE, William M - Ref. K/2/104 B15 Page 1044.

48380 STEWART, Walter - Ref. K/2/104 B15 Page 1068.

48521 NOBES, Robert - Ref. K/2/104 B15 Page 1070.

48522 BLACKBURN, James - Ref. K/2/104 B15 Page 1070.

58964 APPLEYARD, William B - Ref. K/2/104 B17 Page 1156.

Any assistance would be much appreciated, they should all be transferees from the 25th Bn. Royal Fusiliers.

I've pm'd my email address and many thanks in advance.

Steve

SteveE

A 5MB email is on the way to you. The page references made it so easy to do, thank you!! Hope it helps.

Steve

Steve

Email received OK, I'm much obliged and it certainly does help.

Thanks again.

Steve

As for Albert Johnson, Pte later Sgt 8212 Albert Edward Johnson MM, an Old Contemptible from the 1st Btn coudl be your man? Landed France 16-8-1914 with the first wave, etc. There was also a 4/6986 Albert E Johnson in the Beds but his Rolls are under the Liverpools so cannot say what his middle name was for sure

Steve

As always a star performance, I had some brief details from a newspaper cutting and your information has now confirmed things.

Below part of the newspaper article with the extra information now added in. All fits nicely

Mrs A.E. Johnson, of Grove Hill, Stansted, has received an intimation that her husband, Sergeant Albert Edward Johnson 8212, Bedfordshire Regiment, is in hospital suffering from gas poisoning, and progressing satisfactorily. Sergeant Johnson was called up as a reservist on the outbreak of war and went to France with the first Expeditionary Force. He went through the battle and retreat of Mons and wears the Mons Star (1914 Star) and the Military Medal which he was awarded in 1916. On one occasion he and four others were buried for three days by a shell and when dug out three of the five men were dead. He is the son of the late Mr Albert Edwin Johnson, of Bentfield End.

Cheers mate

Glyn

As for Hickling - He was a brother of one on my memorial, don't worry about him at the mo.

:D love it when is runs well!

Would be interested to leanr Johnson's story when you crack it Glyn. Sounds interesting.

Steve

Like to keep you busy mate :D

Anything on this chap would be appreciated.

Cheers

Glyn

post-5500-1190583690.jpg

Sorry Glynn, not a sausage. Medal Rolls are Labour Corps of course and I havent come across him personally.

If it helps, 12084 was issued 17-8-1914 and 12289 was issued 29-8-1914 so looks like Walter was a K1 man. On the surface, suggests 6th Btn but doesnt necessarily follow of course. Could have been any of them really ...

Steve

Thanks mate, sort of what I expected anyway.

Appreciate you having a look.

Glyn

• 3 weeks later...

Steve, could you try Harry Shearing 39471 Pte, Bedfordshire Reg. that all I have on him.

I know I contacted you a few years ago about him but like you, lost all my data on my family history due to a house fire. I am just about back to were I was 18 months ago on the family history but none of the military bits.

Terry Shearing

Hi Terry

The name rings a bell but whatever notes I made at the time I seem to ahve lost, sorry.

His Medal Card is here - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=5309912&queryType=1&resultcount=6

Shows he served as:

Bedfordshire Regiment 39471 Private

Labour Corps 656992 Private

Bedfordshire Regiment 51910 Private

I have his Victory and War Medal roll, which is 'WO329/930 page 1104' - if you would like it, email me on steve@bedfordregiment.org.uk, quoting the above reference please?

Looks like the 1st service number was issued NBov / Dec 1916 so, unless he served in another unit beforehand, he woudl nopt have got a Star Medal of course. The last number (51910) seems to be from summer 1918 although I cannot be as certain with numbers late in the series as tyhey seem to be subject to all kinds of variables that i have not quite got to the bottom of yet. For what its worth, Id guess at June / July but dont hold me to that!

Speak to you soon!

Hi Steve,

Do you happen to have anything on 8675 Pte W Newman Bedfords please? (I have his SWB)

Hi Anthony

William Newman was in South Africa with the 2nd Btn wen war broke out and landed france 6-10-1914 with the 7th Division. Saw action at 1st Ypres when the battalion came out with a couple of hundred men, having fought & stood against the Prussians, so could well have been wounded there?

His 1914 Star Roll says 're-enlisted 2/6th Scot Rifles, discharged 392xvi 20-7-1915'. What happened in what order I dont know but coudl be worth following up?

Same as above mate, email me, quoting 'WO329/927 page 213' and WO329/2437 page 91' if you want the rolls.

I probably have the SWB roll too so if you get the reference from his MIC or similar, send it over and Ill track it down - I dont have them indexed yet Im afraid!

Cheers for now