Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War veteran dies at 108

Tim Birch

It has been reported that Alfred Pugh has died in the USA aged 108 just 10 days short of his 109th birthday. He joined the US 77th Infantry Division in 1917 and was wounded in 1918 during the Meuse-Argonne offensive.

He was reported to have said that the secret of a long life was to "keep breathing".

RIP

Tim

If any of our American friends are able to give resumes of obituary comments in the US press it would be appreciated.

Tim

Keep breathing (I like that!)

Dave:

According to a 11/11/03 CNN.com report, there were fewer than 200 U.S. vets of the Great War out of 4.7 million who served. This report profiled two of them and, amazingly, one--a Frank Buckles, 102, lives here in my county. He is a widower who reportedly lives on a 330 acre farm here, still works the farm, still drives a tractor, and reads from his collection of over 1000 books. He enlisted at age 16 in 1917. He later worked in the steamship business and was captured as a civilian when the Japanese invaded the Philippines. He was freed by the U.S. 11th Airborne Division in Manila in February 1945. I'll have to see if I can find his farm.

Chris

Attached is a link to the Associated Press obituary of Alfred Pugh, as reported in the Philadelphia Inquirer, Saturday, 10 January 2004: http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/ob...ies/7675453.htm.

It is truly sad to have two veterans of the Great War die so close togetherand certainly reminds of the sacrifices they made...

Peace....

Steve

very sad.before very long there will be no veterans left.for their sakes we MUST keep their memories alive,never forget their sacrifices.if any of us live to be 108,we'll never live through 1/10th of the hell they did. STEVEN

He was gassed. he raised 16 foster children. Played the opgan into his 100's. Was an avid baseball & football fan. Died at a Veteran's Administration facility near St. Petersburg, Florida.