Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Marshall's of Gainsborough

JONDI

Hi everyone

At the outbreak of war in 1914 my cousin was working as a moulder at Marshall's in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire. At the end of August 1914 he joined the Lincolnshire Regiment 5th Battalion. What I would love to know before I visit the town is does any of the old buildings still remain. I have an old picture of the iron works and it says it covers 17 acres,so hopefully some of it still exists to this day.

Secondly does Gainsborough have a war memorial in the town, I know that my relation is remembered in the village of Owston Ferry were he lived for quite a few years but I would very much like to see the memorial in Gainsborough. If one does exist could you tell me what street its on so I could visit it.

Many thanks

John

John,

The background to the Gainsborough War Memorial in the photograph is The Old Hall.

The War Memorial is situated at the junction of Parnell Street (to the left) and Gladstone Street which runs from Church Street.There are no names inscribed on the memorial but the Roll of Honour for both world wars, including civilians is kept in the Parish Church on Church Street.

Paul (P A) Kemp, a local historian has produced an informative CD of Gainsborough's war dead from research carried out by the late Mr R.H Johnson.The CD is available from Gainsborough Library.

Regarding the economic activity in Gainsborough,alas it is not not exactly a thriving town although I am sure the local politicians will tell you different.The engineering heart was ripped out in"Hilda's" days which saw two long standing quality engineering companies going to the wall.One was Roses of Rose's Chocolates fame who were well known packaging engineers for Cadburys and major cigarette brands and the other was Marshalls which as stated had a large engineering works producing tractors and packaged boilers.Both had a succession of owners without success but a small number of packaging companies have sprung up but nothing like the "old days"as the locals would say.

Marshalls works have been "redeveloped". First Tesco took a slice,then this summer there has been redevelopment of the rest of the works into a retail park by the name of Marshalls Yard which has brought a few brands into the town.Some former engineering and buildings aspects have been retained such as an overhead crane which acts as a portal to the retail park.

Gainsborough, in the distance past used to have a thriving port with extensive trade with the Baltic and the no longer used warehouses have been converted to flats. Most have attracted the "buy to rent" sector which does not fit into the present economics of the town as a large number remain awaiting tenants or buyers.On the other hand,night club activity appears to be thriving.

If you would wish to have a fine view of the Trent from a "Yella Belly" penthouse, then Gainsborough is the place to be.

Hi Steve, Dave and Frank

Many thanks to you all for your information regarding Marshall's of Gainsborough, Lincolnshire and also the war memorial there.

I'm going to visit Gainsborough in the next couple of weeks and now thanks to you all I will be able to visit the two sites that are relevant to me.

Best Wishes

John

Found in a British dugout at Crossroads farm north of Ypres, the Marshalls lettering clearly visible

A great engineering works now reduced to a shopping centre.

Tom

post-5284-1188919246.jpg

Hi Tom

Thanks for showing me the photograph

Like you say a once great engineering firm now reduced to a shopping centre, I guess thats progress for you!!!

John

Pump as used in WW2:

post-2039-1188950224.jpg

And a close up - one of the members of the reenactment group I'm in picked up one of these in basically mint condition at a car boot sale earlier this year, complete with the original handle that can be broken down for ease of transport, for the princely sum of £25. Shortly after, I bought a WW2 training manual for a friend, and spotted the following plate showing they were still being used at that time:

post-2039-1188950377.jpg

Photo of the dugout where the pump from Marshalls was diacovered.

Its good to know some are still about in good condition......good engineering!

Regards

Tom

post-5284-1188972221.jpg

Thanks Tom and Andrew for sending me the photo's of the pump from Marshall's in Gainsborough.

Things were certainly built to last.

John

No doubt that pump was worth it's weight in gold, but I've a funny feeling it wouldn't have been big enough!!

Actually the pump looks in better nick than most at 'our place' today. I often come across large antiques with Appleby Frodingham embossed on them :D

Steve.

I was a large antique at Appleby Frodingham until I retired 10 months ago Steve!!!!

regards

Tom

ps. Some of the pumps I worked with are 300ft underground just out of town..and considerably larger.

I was a large antique at Appleby Frodingham until I retired 10 months ago Steve!!!!

regards

Tom

Yep, they just dont mek 'em like they used to mate ;)

Steve

• 14 years later...

Hello Everyone,

One of my friends discovered also one. It is now in a local museum. With a group of engineers and technicians we like to bring the pump back in working condition to show the visitors about the functionality..

We have original connection parts and hoses as well but no foot check valve. 

Can  somebody  help with drawings , manual or some technical info ?

Appreciated. 

image.jpeg.59dc57eb3e939bfb1645b7b24c244f94.jpeg