Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Hi Mark what is his full name and number please?

23 hours ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

Hi Mark what is his full name and number please?

'Fraid I don't have any details.  My Great Aunt did provide a name but it's not correct.  The name provided was for a soldier who served in the RGA (alongside my Grandfather).  This man is unknown to me.  We do have one relative that served in the RAMC but it's not this man.  I'm thinking he might have been a friend of the family but, to date, I've been unable to identify him.

I see your interests include St.Helens personnel.  I grew up in Parr and spent my teen years in Billinge.  I've traced a couple of my ancestry lines back to almost 300 years where they mostly were born, lived and died in the St.Helens area.  

4 hours ago, Buffnut453 said:

'Fraid I don't have any details.  My Great Aunt did provide a name but it's not correct.  The name provided was for a soldier who served in the RGA (alongside my Grandfather).  This man is unknown to me.  We do have one relative that served in the RAMC but it's not this man.  I'm thinking he might have been a friend of the family but, to date, I've been unable to identify him.

I see your interests include St.Helens personnel.  I grew up in Parr and spent my teen years in Billinge.  I've traced a couple of my ancestry lines back to almost 300 years where they mostly were born, lived and died in the St.Helens area.  

Hi Mark, I am sure that our site will be of interest to you - 

http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/home

If you join (it is free ) then it will unlock all the pages and images etc.

Regards

KB.

25 minutes ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

Hi Mark, I am sure that our site will be of interest to you - 

http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/home

If you join (it is free ) then it will unlock all the pages and images etc.

Regards

KB.

Hi KB,

Already a member of the site...and agree it's a treasure trove of info.

Cheers,
Mark

Can anyone advise. I have a Captain in RAMC, joined up 1916 served with 2/3 Home Counties Field Ambulance in France.  He provided a pre-addressed envelope for his citation to be forwarded (presumably after demob). The address on the envelope was simply "Captain F. E. Rogers, Littleton Panell, West Lavington, Wiltshire. 

Captain Rogers lived in Cambridgeshire, can find no connection as to why citation would have been sent to Wiltshire. I note that the 2nd Canadian Field Amb were based at the Manor House there for some time. Is it possible that returning RAMC medics would have been sent to Wiltshire to care for the wounded?

Dauntsey's School was/is at Littleton Panell Manor. Could he have got a teaching job there post-war?

18 hours ago, seaJane said:

Dauntsey's School was/is at Littleton Panell Manor. Could he have got a teaching job there post-war?

Tks for suggestion .. but definitely didn't go into teaching. He returned to medical practice in Cambridgeshire after the war. 

Ah, okay. I had another lookup about the school and it had an isolation hospital added in 1908, which I suppose may be relevant (although there's nothing about Great War use, irritatingly!).

Apologies, earlier post a little misleading. I have now got a bit more info from the family ... envelope wasn't for Capt Rogers' citation ... it was for his commission (to Lieut) .. so probably more like 1915 when he would have been doing officer training.  Wondering if that might have taken place alongside the Canadian Field Artillery. 

Kind of you to look up about the school. Perhaps the hospital facility was used for army training at some point, though I found no mention.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for jumping in but my Grandfather served in the RAMC in the Dardenelles.

Thomas Evans 60131

Wouild you have anything relating to him in your records?

Best regards

I'm sure you already know this but in case you don't ... he was an Acting Corporal, Enlisted June 14, 1915 Discharged due to Sickness and awarded the Silver War Badge on Nov 27, 1919. He arrived Gallipoli Oct 18, 1915.

Peter

Good Morning

Do you have any information about a chap called Humphries Frederick Thomas Pte 74455. He was attached to the 2nd Ox & Buck's and was killed on Sunday 24th March 1918.He is commemorated on the Arras Memorial. That's all I have on this man.

Regards

Andy

Hi Chris

Thank you for that piece of information. It states that he was with the HQ Coy, what exactly does that mean?could he have been a stretcher bearer. 

Regards

Andy 

Hi Chris

Once again thanks for the information.I am having trouble trying to read what it say's on the card. correct me if i am wrong. Disc sent in from a Cash Commission of a sanitary Coy 5.5.18, no details known if the owner is dead is not certain.The reason i am interested in this man is because while researching my Gt Uncle i was given a list by the C W G C which contains    22 casualties who were all found buried at the same location 57c.I.32.c.8.0 in a small mass grave.According to the C W G C they were all probably buried by the Germans once they had cleared the area.Some of the casualties are known but most are not.The ones that are known seem to have been killed on the 24/03/1918.One of the unknown men was a Private of the Royal Army Medical Corps.According to Geoffs Search Engine there was only one man of the R A M C killed on the 24/03/1918, and he was Pte Frederick Thomas Humphries who at the time of his death was attached to the Ox & Bucks Light Infantry.The only Ox & Buck's battalion in that area on the day he was killed was the 2nd Battalion Ox & Buck's. This casualty as I have mentioned earlier was found buried with named men from other battalions who were killed on the 24/03/1918. The 2nd Ox & Buck's were part of the 5th Brigade. which consisted of the 24th Battalion Royal Fusiliers,2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry and the 2nd Ox & Buck's. One of the named casualties belonged to the 24th Bn Royal Fusiliers Sgt Rendell killed on the 24/03/1918 buried in Bancourt British Cemetery and Cpl Thomas Houston MM bar of the 2nd Highland Light Infantry also buried in Bancourt British Cemetery..I suspect that all these casualties found at 57c.I.32.c.8.0 were all killed at the same time period in March 1918.

For this unknown Pte of the R A M C to be found at the location mentioned above,and being attached to the Ox & Buck's he could only have come from the 2nd Battalion. I have presented a case to the authorities for this casualty who I believe is Frederick Thomas Humphries. That's why i have an interest in this man and any other information i can gather would be of great use to back up my case should it falter.

Kind Regards

Andy  

Hi Andy,

1 hour ago, andrew pugh said:

One of the unknown men was a Private of the Royal Army Medical Corps. According to Geoffs Search Engine there was only one man of the R A M C killed on the 24/03/1918

I haven't checked the proximity of their units to the map reference, but I think that there are a couple of other potential Privates.

image.png.94d9b54cd9a09737ff07e89e406da148.png

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for replying.The location where the unknown was found 5c.I.32.c.8.0 is on the Bancourt to Havrincourt road where the road from Villers au Flos joins it,On the 24th March 1918 the remnants of the 2nd Battalion Ox & Buck's (5th Brigade) were in and around the RED LINE which ran just to the right of Villers au Flos. I have come to this conclusion because he was attached to the 2nd Ox & Buck's at the time of his death on the 24/03/1918, and they were the only Ox & Buck's unit in that area at that time.All the other men from the list you gave were not in that area and were not attached to the Ox & Buck's at the time of their deaths. 

your thoughts would be most welcome.

Regards

Andy  

Hi Andy,

That makes a lot of sense.

On the map below, sourced from the Brigade HQ diary (Ancestry link), I've put a small red dot to represent 57c.I.32.c.8.0. It's interesting to compare where it is to the movement of "52. L.I."

image.png.74044f4aac7320ab127b614e75224fd3.png

Andy.jpg.1bd495d6420ce7c52c38c33bc3c43c35.jpg

Images sourced from Ancestry.co.uk

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris.

That's the spot! I came to the conclusion that it is Pte Humphries purely because although he belonged to the R A M C he was attached to the 2nd Ox & Buck's who were the only Ox & Bucks Unit in that area at that time.Also its ironic that his date of death is the 24/03/1918 and he was found with others with the same date of death and from the same Brigade (5th brigade). You can clearly see there position on the sketch map on the 24th. My relative was serving with the 24th Bn (2nd Sportsmen) Royal Fusiliers at that time.

Regards

Andy

Hi, sorry for jumping in but my Grandfather served in the RAMC in the Dardenelles.

Thomas Evans 60131

Would you have anything relating to him in your records?

• PJS
  • Old Sweats
  •  
  • 255 posts

I'm sure you already know this but in case you don't ... he was an Acting Corporal, Enlisted June 14, 1915 Discharged due to Sickness and awarded the Silver War Badge on Nov 27, 1919. He arrived Gallipoli Oct 18, 1915.

Thanks PJS. Is there any way of tracking his movements and/or what filed ambulance he was attached to at the time?

9 hours ago, Glyn1959 said:

Thanks PJS. Is there any way of tracking his movements and/or what filed ambulance he was attached to at the time?

Unfortunately, I do not know of any easy way to do that. The only option available is to laboriously go through the RAMC 1914-15 Star Roll and collect the names and numbers of everyone with the same Disembarkation date as your Grandfather (Oct 18, 1915) and then search for any and all others that still have Service Records or Pension Records. Some of those men may have a B.103 form that details where they were assigned upon arrival. That could give you a reasonably good indication of where he may have been assigned. It's a lot of work and certainly not definitive but in the absence of a service record it's probably your best option. His Star Roll is here (requires access to Ancestry).

You should also take a look at Medical Services; General History, Vol IV which gives a detailed account of the medical services in Gallipoli. You can see it here.

Good Luck

Peter

Hi PJS thank you very much for your reply. There is plenty of interesting reading in the book!

Regarding the Star Roll link to Ancetry doesn't work. Could you please check it?

Many thanks again

Hi I have posted these photos previously but I thought at this poignient time there may be more visitors to the website so I am reposting with fingers crossed.

I had no information about my Grandfather's military service movements in the RAMC during the great war other than those shown on his medal card.

However, I have noticed that on his marriage certificate it states he was in 20th Co RAMC. However, I can't find any reference to this company in WW1. Can anybody help?

I am posting then photos hoping someone somewhere may be able to identify a location or locations or even identify others in the photos and help others with their geneology tasks.

Thanks

A Far Right Back Row.jpg

A Far Left Front Row.jpg

A Third from Right Back Row.jpg

Thomas Evans Medal Card.jpg

• 7 months later...

I have been doing some research for Epping Forest District Museum, who recently held an exhibition of some of his work. Walter Ernest Spradbery volunteered for the RAMC on 14th September 1914, together with his friend Haydn R Mackey. They served initially with the 2nd/3rd East Anglian Field Ambulance, based in England. In February 1917 the 2nd/3rd was disbanded and at some stage (think August 1917) Walter Spradbery, Haydn Mackey and others were transferred to the  3rd Battalion Warwickshire Regiment, which was stationed on the Isle of Wight (training battalion). Walter Spradbery, Haydn Mackey, and others objected as pacifists (at that time many hundreds for RAMC were transferred to combat units) and there was quite a bit about it in the press as well as discussions in Parliament. End of September Walter Spradbery and Haydn Mackey were transferred back to the RAMC in Blackpool. Then they joined the 36th Field Ambulance in France. As mentioned Water Spradbery was awarded the DCM for his actions on 26th August 1918. Haydn Mackey was awarded the MM as a result of the same incident. We know he wrote a letter to his mother (from France) on the day Armistice was declared, but by end of November Walter Spradbery, still in uniform was working for the Imperial War Museum as was Haydn Mackey). Walter Spradbery was back in the UK by early December 1918 and continued to work for the Imperial War Museum until at least the middle of 1919 - producing many pictures recording the RAMC activities during the war.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Guest
Missed out reference to the book My Dear Jim by John Spradbery which is a biography of Walter Spradbery