Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BJanman

Hi,

Was just wondering do you have anything on John Craig, Dr, RAMC. Was last night looking through an old letter from my Great Uncle (who is now deceased), and it mentions that maybe he won the MC for service on the Western Front.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

I am having a bit of a problem here trying to get information to tie up :unsure:

So far I have 4 RAMC personnel with the surname Craig who were awarded the MC

3 definates are

Capt Craig A V

Maj Craig D D (Also a bar)

Maj Craig James Robert

These (and only these) all show up in the Haywards, honours and awards book. Another possibility is a Craig E W, his name comes up on info put together from someone checking the LG but I haven't researched him yet.

I've found the names of 2 doctors registered as having a practice in the Manchester area in 1921, but it doesn't state they served in the RAMC. They are

Craig, John - 161 Ashton New-rd Beswick and 620 Ashton New-rd Clayton Manchester

Craig, John MBE - "Beechmount" North-rd Clayton, Manchester

There are 2 John Craigs which are stated as served in the RAMC. They were John Gibson Craig who practiced in York, and a John Craig who practiced in Darwen Lancs.

Do you have any other information that may help me to identify your relative?

Barbara

.... I am starting to see numbering systems forming, specific drafts of men who were sent to serve with other RAMC units and specific drafts of RAMC men from certain RAMC Units who were transferred to other regiments. .... It really is starting to produce some very interesting results and much more than I first intended.

Ah, the joys of unit databases! Dangerously addictive. I have been meaning to send you my list of MOs with the 19th London Regt and the 272 transferees from the RAMC to the 19th.

272 transferees and MOs, Charles thank you so much. I really hope I can repay you by being able to return more information.

You are right, this is becoming very addictive. What's amazing me is as soon as I learn something I realise there is so much more to be found. I went to the NA the other day to look up a couple of men on the medal rolls and noticed men listed on the SWB Rolls who didn't serve abroad. I'll be going back with my laptop :D

Barbara

• 1 month later...

post-22935-1192370787.jpg

:) I'm amazed

Like most, I guess, I was really moved the first time I went to the Western Front. So many cemeteries, with so many headstones, and so many names of men with no known graves :( I just can't let it go.

Ever since that time I have wanted to set up a RAMC database, mainly to commemorate the Corps but to also give something back to a generation that lost so much by keeping the names of those who served alive. Against the advice of others that it is too big a task (they are right of course) I am plodding on and am adding daily to an access database.

It is still very early days with so much more information to add, I haven't even scratch the surface but if I highlight a column and click on A/Z I am starting to see numbering systems forming, specific drafts of men who were sent to serve with other RAMC units and specific drafts of RAMC men from certain RAMC Units who were transferred to other regiments. I can also see men from the same unit being killed on the same day and/or winning awards, which will lead me to investigate specific battles. It really is starting to produce some very interesting results and much more than I first intended.

Sorry, just had to tell someone. I am soooooo excited. :D

Hi,

I've been reading a few of your postings and had a look at your site. You're plainly doing a great job in bringing this information together. I'm importing a photo which I recently uploaded to this site under the heading 'can you identify' . Not the best heading to get a response although I have had some good replies which bring me now, to you.

The uniform has been identified as that of the RAMC, I believe that the soldiers name was either Abraham or Mark Matthews, although I'm ready to be corrected on this.

I have scant information other than that they originated from Nuneaton. I'm now wondering whether anyone following the RAMC thread may have information on either these names or the photo itself. I'm rather surprised that it appears to be RAMC uniform (although now that it's been pointed out, I can see it by comparrison to the other RAMC photo which I have floating around the Forum).

Basically, can anyone offer any information.

Take Care.

Do you happen to have anything on Captain H.A. Sandiford, MO of 3/5th Lancashire Fusiliers who won the MC on 9th October 1917? He wrote an interesting first-hand account of the action. I'd be amazed if you have any information on Bury Grammar School old boy Lt Douglas Wardleworth who drowned in a swimming accident at Le Havre on 24th October 1914. Extensive enquiries have failed to unearth a photograph of this chap. For a long time I thought he'd been killed in the First battle of Ypres until I read a chance mention of the accident in the school magazine for 1914-15.

Hi Mark

Capt Hugh Arthur Sandiford M.B. Ch.B. Vict. Manchester 1914. He is in the 1918 Medical Directory as having a practice at Dudley House, Prestwich-Pk. South Manchester.

London Gazette entry for his MC is here

And it looks as if he went on to become a Major Click here

Lt Douglas Wardleworth is mentioned in the Lancet 14th Nov 1914 - "Lieutenant Douglas Wardleworth, RAMC, has been accidentally drowned while on military duty at Harve". That's all it says so nothing new there I'm afraid.

That's all I can find at the moment.

Barbara

Rolande

The first thing I thought when I looked at the photograph is that, although the badges on the collars of his uniform are RAMC, his cap badge does not look RAMC, so I searched for your previous thread and agree with Paul Reed. Is there any chance you can scan the badge area a little closer?

I am not an expert on uniforms but I do have books that I often refer to, so will have a look and come back to you. I'll also see if I can trace anything on the two names you stated, and see if any I find tie up with the uniform.

Barbara

Hi BJay.

I am currently trying to research people who died in the great war from my surrounding villages and have with my limited experience hit a bit of a brick wall and wonder if you could help me?

Soldiers that died in the great war lists what appears to be brothers from the RAMC who both died on the same day and have consecutive numbers, CWGC adds nothing to this information, wondered if you had any additional info?

Gunn Ernest

Born Rawcliffe bridge

Enlisted Sheffield

Resided Rawcliffe bridge

Rank Private

Number 405490

Died 09/10/17

Tyne Cot panel 160

Gunn John

Born Rawcliffe bridge

Enlisted Sheffield

Resided Rawcliffe bridge

Rank Private

Number 405491

Died 09/10/17

Tyne Cot panel 160

Seems almost coincidental that all details are alike.

Tim.

Tim

Both the above served with the 1/3rd West Riding Field Ambulance, and looking at others who served with this unit it looks very much as if they were brothers who joined up at the same time- they could be

2031 Pte Gunn Ernest - 1917 number 405490

2032 Pte Gunn John - 1917 number 405491

but I do not have any confirmation yet.

They were both killed in action at the Battle of Peolcapelle, 3rd Battle of Ypres.

Barbara

Rolande

The first thing I thought when I looked at the photograph is that, although the badges on the collars of his uniform are RAMC, his cap badge does not look RAMC, so I searched for your previous thread and agree with Paul Reed. Is there any chance you can scan the badge area a little closer?

I am not an expert on uniforms but I do have books that I often refer to, so will have a look and come back to you. I'll also see if I can trace anything on the two names you stated, and see if any I find tie up with the uniform.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,

I've tried to get a closer scan of the cap badge, but to be honest it hasn't improved a great deal (to my eyes at any rate). I'm not sure if it'll help in the least but am uploading in the hope that it will. Rolandepost-22935-1192435086.jpgpost-22935-1192449396.jpg

post-22935-1192449331.jpg

Herewith a few more for the database starting with George James Gentry, a distant cousin.

Born Eckington Gardens, Deptford on 30 September 1887, the son of Joseph and Mary Gentry.

23 August 1914 went to France as private 1418, 11 Field Ambulance, RAMC.

For the next three years stayed in the Armentieres, Poperinghe, Arras area. While at Tilloy near Arras the unit war diary for 11 November 1917 recorded that he and three other privates ( 77814 R Butcher, 305815 D M Meston, and 318411 W Scott) had been awarded the MM.

On 10 May 1918 the unit was at Gonnehem, NE of Bethune when it came under heavy bombardment with gas shells and George Gentry and several others were evacuated to hospital suffering from the effects of gas.

On 20 May 1918 he was killed during a bombing raid on the hospitals at Etaples. Casualties overall : 1 Officer, 1 Nursing Sister, 167 OR killed; 27 officers, 11 Nursing Sisters, 584 OR wounded; 18 OR missing. He is buried in grave D9 of block LXVI at Etaples.

Other RAMC staff who died as a result of the gas bombardment of Gonnehem were : -

Corporal Reg Gilbert, died 10 May and buried at Gonnehem; Captain David Hall temporarily attached 2/Seaforth Highlanders (died 14 May) and Private Carl Holt ( died 16 May) both buried at Pernes; Private Joseph Lightfoot died on 15 May and buried in Mount Huon cemetery at Le Treport.

andyp

Hi Rolande

Thanks for the close up of the cap badge, you are right it hasn't improved it so I think I'd better give up on that one. It looks to me to be a little too wide to be a RAMC cap badge. I'll keep an eye out for anything similar that appears on pictures I have of RAMC Officers.

I've done a search of the names you quoted. I found a couple of Majors with the surname Matthews but none with the first name Mark. I did find an officer with the surname Abraham, his other names were James Johnston and although he served in a variety of areas he was ADMS LOC EEF from 1917 - 1919 - I'm going on Paul Reed's comments on your other thread about rank and time period. I haven't been able to trace where this officer came from as yet so I haven't managed to find a link to Nuneaton though.

That's about all I can help with really at the moment. Best of luck in your search for this man.

Barbara

Hi Mark

Capt Hugh Arthur Sandiford M.B. Ch.B. Vict. Manchester 1914. He is in the 1918 Medical Directory as having a practice at Dudley House, Prestwich-Pk. South Manchester.

Barbara

Here you go...chew the bones out the abbreviations here.

Mick

Hi Rolande

Thanks for the close up of the cap badge, you are right it hasn't improved it so I think I'd better give up on that one. It looks to me to be a little too wide to be a RAMC cap badge. I'll keep an eye out for anything similar that appears on pictures I have of RAMC Officers.

I've done a search of the names you quoted. I found a couple of Majors with the surname Matthews but none with the first name Mark. I did find an officer with the surname Abraham, his other names were James Johnston and although he served in a variety of areas he was ADMS LOC EEF from 1917 - 1919 - I'm going on Paul Reed's comments on your other thread about rank and time period. I haven't been able to trace where this officer came from as yet so I haven't managed to find a link to Nuneaton though.

That's about all I can help with really at the moment. Best of luck in your search for this man.

Barbara

Thanks for looking. I'll let you know if I find anything regarding this man. Have you seen the photo of Dr.Ridewood and his wife on one of my other topics 'military Doctors of WW1'? If you'd like a copy for your website let me know and I'll send one to you (the one which I've posted on this Forum has been cropped quite heavily to allow for the upload).

Sandiford-a very interesting chap with a lot of abbreviations! Captured in the Kaiserschlacht I see. I'll have to do some more research...

Yes he is interesting....I'm surprised he didnt manage to pick up any medals between the wars.

Mick

Have you seen the photo of Dr.Ridewood and his wife on one of my other topics 'military Doctors of WW1'? If you'd like a copy for your website let me know and I'll send one to you (the one which I've posted on this Forum has been cropped quite heavily to allow for the upload).

Had a look and I would love a copy for my website, thank you. I won't be able to add it yet as the new website is still being developed and the designer has gone on holiday for a couple of weeks :rolleyes: I have been informed that it is almost ready though. I'll send you a PM with my email address.

I looked up Dr Vivian Ernest Ridewood in the 1921 Medical Directory and it advises that he served on HMHS Dunlace Castle.

Cheers

Barbara

HMHS Dunluce castle thats a coincidence I was just tidying up hospital ships pics.

Mick

Barbara:

Great work with the Website. Below is another fellow for your records--cropped from a group photo of officers of the

4th KOSB, September 1914.

Chris

Name: TAYLOR, DAVID ROBERT

Initials: D R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Army Medical Corps

Secondary Regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 1st/4th

Date of Death: 14/07/1915

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Addenda Panel.

Memorial: HELLES MEMORIAL

post-1571-1193366306.jpg

Ever since that time I have wanted to set up a RAMC database, mainly to commemorate the Corps but to also give something back to a generation that lost so much by keeping the names of those who served alive. Against the advice of others that it is too big a task (they are right of course) I am plodding on and am adding daily to an access database.

Barbara,

Are you only including those who died in the war, or all who served in the RAMC?

Do you want some names and info of men from overseas, Fiji & NZ, who served in the RAMC?

Christine