Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nasik

linden

Does anyone have any information about the Officer Training School at Nasik ? It may only have been open for a year or 18months .

I'm coming to the conclusion that my grandfather was an instructor there and I hope there might be some surviving records .

I've googled it and haven't found any entries .

Regards,

Linden

Hi,

Are you sure this is the right spelling, I've checked briefly some Indian OH, such as "The Army in India and its Evolution" and before I look harder I wish to confirm its location.

Regards

Mart

Hi,

Are you sure this is the right spelling, I've checked briefly some Indian OH, such as "The Army in India and its Evolution" and before I look harder I wish to confirm its location.

Regards

Mart

It's near Deolali . Nasik is how the British are spelling it in 1918 . It is "Officers' School of Instruction , Nasik"

A concert programme on Saturday , February 22nd , 1919 , says , it "marks the winding up of the Officers' School of Instruction at Nasik "

and : "During the first course , which commenced on April 15th 1918 ..."

Regards,

Linden

Hi

Sorry for the delay, I think what you want is in "History Of The Army Educational Corps" by Lieutenant Colonel P. Singh, Avtar Publishers, Dharamsala 1983. I've misplaced my copy, I'll have another look tomorrow.

Regards

Mart

Hi

Sorry for the delay, I think what you want is in "History Of The Army Educational Corps" by Lieutenant Colonel P. Singh, Avtar Publishers, Dharamsala 1983. I've misplaced my copy, I'll have another look tomorrow.

Regards

Mart

Thank you Mart .

Maybe you would know why my grandfather lived in a hotel in Rawalpindi when he "was waiting for his commission "? Would he have trained there ?

Regards,

Linden

Bloody Hell,

Thats where I was born, Nasik that is.

Ihave been thinking about trying to find out if my Grandad fought in the Great War. Where do I start?

Nige

I do apologise for the delay, I've looked, and looked but seem to have misplaced my copy, this is driving me mad. I can even see the spine in my mind and where it should be.

Regards

Mart

Bloody Hell,

Thats where I was born, Nasik that is.

Ihave been thinking about trying to find out if my Grandad fought in the Great War. Where do I start?

Nige

Which years were you in Nasik ?

I do apologise for the delay, I've looked, and looked but seem to have misplaced my copy, this is driving me mad. I can even see the spine in my mind and where it should be.

Regards

Mart

Don't worry Mart .

I'm delighted to find someone who might have an answer !

This is getting serious I now can't find three books:

History Of The Army Educational Corps by Lieutenant Colonel P. Singh, Avtar Publishers, Dharamsala 1983

The C.A.M.C. With the Canadian Corps during the last hundred days of the Great War. by Colonel. A.E. Snell. 1924

and that rare volume: The Canadian Forestry Corps; its Inception, Development and Achievements, by Rev. C. W. Bird, His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1919.

Found lots of dust, hope the gf doesn't read these posts from HK, or I'll get a lecture about tidiness!

Regards

Mart

This is getting serious I now can't find three books:

History Of The Army Educational Corps by Lieutenant Colonel P. Singh, Avtar Publishers, Dharamsala 1983

The C.A.M.C. With the Canadian Corps during the last hundred days of the Great War. by Colonel. A.E. Snell. 1924

and that rare volume: The Canadian Forestry Corps; its Inception, Development and Achievements, by Rev. C. W. Bird, His Majesty's Stationery Office, London, 1919.

Found lots of dust, hope the gf doesn't read these posts from HK, or I'll get a lecture about tidiness!

Regards

Mart

Dear Mart,

I only ever lose things when I tidy them up ! I cross my fingers for you .

Your book is a history of army education - I have an ancestor who was a Serjeant Schoolmaster in Poona in 1827 - does it go that far back ? (He died in 1830 , and is buried in Colobah).

The books are probably exactly where you think they are , but they don't look the way you remember them ?

All the best,

Linden

Hmm Linden

This is triggering a great tidy up in my house.

It is likely that the History Of The Army Educational Corps does go back to about 1750, i.e when records began, the India (and Pakistan) Official Histories Post Partition always like go back as far as possible, because they are scholarly works.

Regards

Mart

• 3 years later...

All

Bringing this one back up. I am interested in Capt. Arnold Cuthbert Abraham who was Coy Commander at the school. I have the staff list and am interested in learning anything I can about the school and where the staff went on its disbandment. Linden's various emails on the GWF about all I have been able to locate so far.

Regards

Dave