Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Family Enlistments

Dee

This topic may well have been covered or I may have answered myself below (I do get myself confused sometimes), in which case I apologise in advance.

If possible, can anyone tell me whether it was a standard practice for brothers to join the same regiment during WW1? I know that it is possible for brothers to be in the same regiment as I already have this within my family but just wondered whether it was the norm?

My reason for this is that I have just been given some information on a family member through a new relative I have found on a family tree website.

I have found that my grandfather's brother was killed during WW1 but I only know his details from the 1881 census, so I don't have his date of birth to search the MIC or Medal Roll Index and I somehow don't think I would have much luck with the name Harry Smith if I tried, I have been looking through the CWGC website and found two possibles but I have only been looking within the same region as my grandfather (RMLI/RND) who was in the Chatham Division and later joined 2nd & then 1st RM Bn's.

Any info would be really appreciated.

I don't know how common this was but it was interesting to note this phenomenon in the thread on brothers killed on the same day.

Hi Dee

I have found it very common to find brothers, cousins, father-sons and other family members in the same Regiment-Battalion but these usually fall in the Kitcheners and pre-war Regulars, not so common with those who were conscripts. I also have meny examples of brothers serving in different units, sorry thats not much help is it.

Annette

Hi Annette

Your posting is of help to me as I definitely know that my grandfather wasn't a conscript (and this does give me hope). He enlisted in Bristol in September 1914 although he was born in London. I have copies of most of his papers, he was in the RMLI, his service no was CH19128. Although I feel that I am clutching at straws, the details of the two that I have found are:

Able Seaman H A Smith - RNVR - Hawke Bn RN Division Service No Bristol Z/1402, died on 25.08.18 and is buried in Adanac Military Cemetary,

Pte Henry Charles Smith - RMLI - 1st RM Bn RN, Service No CH1246(s), died 28.04.17 commemorated on Bay 1 at Arras Memorial.

I know from researching my family tree that the name of Harry sometimes meant that the person was born as Henry in those days (several of my other uncles have done this) and I am wondering whether to take the bull by the horns, leap in feet first and just go for it.

The relative that informed me that my Great Uncle Harry had died in WW1 apparently does have a photo of him in uniform and is going to try and get me a copy, although she does say that it is not brillant and she doesn't think it will give me any clues although the buttons may help but it is a very pale copy, I am going to keep my fingers crossed.

Dee

Hi Dee

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is a simular CD to Soldiers Died, that covers the RMLI/RND.

I had a look at Soldiers Died, just to see how meny Harry Smith's there are and there are only 265 :o , but you say Harry may stand for Henry :rolleyes:

Was Harry also born in London, that could cut down the possiblities ?

Annette

Guest Ian Bowbrick

A well known 'trio' of brothers from around Southwark were the Falla brothers who all served in the same MGC Coy and then Bn - they were brigaded across having been in the same Bn of the East Surreys. All survived the war and there was a book written from their personal diaries back in the 1970s by a nephew.

Ian

Dee, just looked at Naval & Military Press' site and they do not seem to have a CD covering the Navy but they did have this -

CROSS OF SACRIFICE. Vol 4: Non-commissioned Officers and Men of the Royal Navy, Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force 1914-1919. That may help if anyone as a copy ?

Annette

Was Harry also born in London, that could cut down the possiblities ?

Hi Annette

Thank you for having a look at your Soldiers Died CD Rom. When I searched the CWGC site it only shows an initial and there were over 1020 H Smiths died during WW1.

In answer to your question, yes Harry was born in London, the 1881 Census has him as being born in Clerkenwell, London and my new family member says he was born in 1895. Most of his brothers were born in and around that area including Shoreditch and St Pancras (just Pancras at that time), his parents were Edgar & Elizabeth Smith and he was married to Hilda.

The book you have mentioned also looks very interesting, I will try and get to my local library to see if they perhaps have a copy.

Dee