Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Britten, Richard Spencer

Back in 2004 there was a question posted about Army Remount Units. In one reply Kate Wills mentioned Major Richard Spencer Britten and it looks like she had a fair amount of information about him. I have been asked to find out some information about this man, and earlier this week visited his grave in Northern France. I would be grateful for any information about him, especially if Kate Wills is able to answer.

Tony Reading

Welcome to the forum Tony, you've certainly come to the right place...be careful though..it's addictive...I'm sure Kate will be along soon...

cheers, Jon

• 4 months later...

Tony

It's a bit late in the day, but this might help you slightly with regard to Major Richard Spencer Britten. If you type his name into our website at www.buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk there is a small amount of information about him, but it might not be what you are looking for. You will see that his name is listed on the War Memorial at Penn, Bucks.

At the same time can I ask you a favour, if you have a photograph of the grave. Would you be willing to PM me a copy to put on the website?

June

Tony,

Yes, I did pursue Spencer Britten, who was a friend of Blair Swannell (see my signature below). They served together in the Boer War. I gleaned most of it from the local press and the National Army Museum in Chelsea.

What do you need to know?

• 1 month later...

Replying to both June and Kate, apologies for delay but your posts appeared just after I went away to work for 5 weeks.

June - yes have a couple of photos and gladly let you have them.

Kate - interested in anything you have.

My interest in Maj Britten is that I was emailed by a Ron Saunders who is doing research into the names on the Penn memorial and R S Britten's parents appeared on my web site as part of a family history interest. Although not a direct member of the Britten's I'm researching (my wife's family) I have collected any references to the name in Northamptonshire as they are mostly connected.

R S Britten is also named on the small memorial in Great Billing.

From The Times online archives I have been able to find that his widow remarried and that he had a son.

The photos of his grave were taken during a day trip into Northern France from Ypres where we were staying with friends who run a B & B.

regards

Tony Reading

From the Northampton Independent, 24-8-1918

post-6536-1204376877.jpg

Steve.

Tony and Steve

Many thanks for your replies. I am sending PMs to you both

June

Tony,

Here are the bits I have to hand. The best place to follow Britten is the reading room of the National Army Museum Chelsea, which has a number his notebooks and letters relating to his Boer War experience. I consulted them in relation to my researchee, Blair Swannell.

Generally known as Spencer, certainly to BISwannell.

Boer war experience recounted in letter to father, see page 214 in Lord Carver's book.

Pic and news item in 1915 NI. His obit in the NI says he spent 3 days ill with diphtheria and died. He had been with the Remount service since the outbreak, and in France from January 15, when he commanded a gunnery squadron.

He won distiction in the SA war, when he became one of the youngest captains in the army.

1899 already Cpl in RBucks Hussars, vol for Imp Yeo 22 Dec at George Hotel, same day as BIS

1881 census Dwelling: 3 Farm House

Census Place: Great Billing, Northampton, England

Source: FHL Film 1341372 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 1543 Folio 4 Page 1

Marr Age Sex Birthplace

Arthur BRITTEN M 34 M Gt Billing, Northampton, England

Rel: Head

Occ: Farmer Of 360 Ac Employing 10 Men & 5 Boys

Ellen B. BRITTEN M 31 F Bedford, England

Rel: Wife

Thomas BRITTEN 7 M Gt Billing, Northampton, England

Rel: Son

Occ: Scholar