Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Harry Urquhart -13th Bn Royal Scots

Webby

Hi,

Just got back from a holiday in Scotland, back to my mothers area, and discovered an unknown Great Uncle who died during the Great War. 15629 Sgt Harry Urquhart of A Coy, 13th Bn Royal Scots. Killed 22/08/1917 aged 26, Flanders Fields. He is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial (which I visited last year without knowing!) I have downloaded his medal record card and looked at the CWGC website record. He was a farm worker at Kinnell in Angus prior to enlisting and is named on the War Memorial at Kinnell Kirk. I know that there was heavy fighting on the Ypres front on the day he died; British line advanced 500 yards on 1-mile front. Also advance of 0.25 mile on 2.5 mile front (objective Lens). Four other members of his Unit were killed that day (that I have found so far) 2Lt Gideon Andrew Forrest Renwick, 376624 Pte James Alcorn and 251109 Pte George Stanley Kerr. All are on the Tyne Cot Memorial. Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ian Webb

Born Hattonmill, Enlisted Dundee, Residence Arbroath. SDGW have 108 men from the 13th Bn, KIA / DOW on 22-08-1917

All the best

Wull

Cheers Wull,

Got most of his pre Army info as the missus is keen on the family history research. I'm just jumping in on the Army connection (Ex REME) He was born and stayed at Hattonmill Farm at Kinnell until he enlisted. (Did'nt know it was at Dundee.) When he died his father George (also working at Hattonmill) had died a few months before him and his mother was living in Froikheim when she was notified of his (Harry's) death. Sorry for my ignorance, but whats SDGW? Do you know where they were at that date?

thanks again

Ian

Ian,

SDGW(Soldiers Died during Great War)- is a Book/CD giving basic information as Wull has listed.

Have you checked out The Scottish Nation War Memorial Web-Site(SNWM) it should contain some of the same information.

If you have a look on the "Army" Page on the Front Page of this Site you'll find the Battalion and the Division it served in,including their major engagements.

Can't supply any more info on the 13th I'm afraid.If he had served in the 8th that would have been a different matter :D

George

Major Ewing ' Royal Scots 1914-1918

The 13th Royal Scots, after the ordeal of the 31st July were given a rest until the 20th August when they took over the frontline near Frezenberg, with their right flank on the Ypres - Roulers Railway.

D and B companies were in front with C in support and A in reserve. An attack in which the 15th and 61st Divisions were to co-operate was arranged for 4.45am on the 22nd August. The 13th RS, who went into action with Major Mitchell in command, formed te right battalion of the Division, and their objective was a line extending from south of the railway to Bremen Redoubt, a fortified pillbox, exclusive. In view of the number of formidable pill=boxes to be encountered, special parties furnished by the Royal Scots Fusiliers and A and C companies of the Royal Scots were detailed to ' mop-up' particular points.

Most of the hostile shelling fortunately dropped behind the line of the assembled troops, but the the attack, though arried out with the utmost gallantry, made little progress. Numerous boche aeroplanes audaciously buzzed over our lines and inflicted several casualties on our men, who were met, moreover, by a terrific machine-gun fire, particularly from the pill-box known as Potsdam. The RS formed a line in front of Vampir and Potsdam and beat off several counter-attacks, but were unablle to make ant impression on the enemies defences. Ultimately Major Mitchell established a new lne from the railway, slightly in front of our original position, which the RS, in spite of a galling shell fire, including shorts from our own artillery, maintained without serious difficulty. Heavy losses were inflicted on the Boches by our rifle and Lewis gun fire, on one occasion a party of 60 of the enemy being annihilated.Their exertions told heavily on the men, and they were very exhausted when on the night of the 22nd they were relieved and marched to a camp near Ypres. The number of casualties was again alarmingly high, and as a result the two actions in the salient (31st July and 22nd August MF) practically a new battalion had to be formed. After a brief spell of trench duty from the 26th to the 29th August, the battalion was withdrawn from the Salient and at the beginning of September returned to familiar and kinder quarters near Arras.

22nd August attack: 276 killed , wounded or missing including two officers killed.

Passchendaele Day by Day Account gives:

15th Division.

The Division attacked at 4.45am with two Brigades.

45 Brigade with 13th RS and 11th Argyle and Sutherland Highlanders. They reached Potsdam, Vampir and Borry Farm as flares showed. Machine gun fire accounted for most of the attacking infantry, while the survivore of both battalions fell back to establish a new line from Railway Dump along the road to Beck House.

44 Brigade attacked with the 8th Seaforths and the 7th Camerons . Both suffered heavily from machine gun fire and made very little headway. The Camerons and a party from 9th Gordons gained a footing on Hill 35. During the rest of the day the 13th RS tried repeatedly to get forward but they were unsuccessful.

Looking at www.snwm.org for 22nd August gives 611 Scottish kia casualties.

Aye

Malcolm

Ian

He has an enty in the "Roll of Honour Abroath and District 1914 - 1919" I don't think there is any additonal info to what you already have and unfortunately in his case the entry is without a photograph. Any way this is his entry:

SGT. URQUHART, ROYAL SCOTS

Sergeant Harry Urquhart, Royal Scots, twenty-three years of age, was the son of George Urquhart, ploughman at Hatton Mill, Kinnell. He was a farm servant in the district when he enlisted as a private. In March 1918 he was reported missing and presumed killed in action.

Regards

Pam

Thanks Pam and Ralph.

Pam: def the right guy, but we've got him as 26 years old, he was born at Hatton Mill, the eldest child of George who died in the March of 1917. He's also listed at the right age on the CWGC site. Weird. Also the date, CWGC states him as killed 22/08/17, wonder why Arbroath list him as missing til Mar 1918??

Ralph: I've already found 2Lt Gideon Andrew Forrest Renwick. He was with D coy, 20 yo

cheers

Ian

Listed on Scottish National War Memorial as:

Details

Surname URQUHART

Firstname Harry

Service Number 15629

Date Death 22/08/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Hattonmill Forfarshire

Other 13th Bn.

SNWM roll THE ROYAL SCOTS (LOTHIAN REGIMENT)

Rank Sgt

Theatre of death F.& F.

Aye

Malcolm

• 10 months later...

Here's an image of the Urquhart family headstone in Kinnell churchyard.

FullUrquhart.jpg

(close up of HArry's inscription)

HarryUrquhart.jpg