Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grant W. and J.

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

Was going to post this on brothers died same day thread - but I'm not sure of relationship. John Grant b. Galgorm, Ballymena e. Ballymena 19003 Sergt. KIA F&F 1/7/16 12th Royal Irish Rifles

and William Grant b. Galgorm, Ballymena, e. ballymena 19005 Rifleman KIA F&F 1/7/16 12th Royal Irish Rifles. I assume the similar number means they enlisted at same time? Maybe they are cousins?

For NZ researchers: Men who died on Somme July 1 to Nov. 30 with Ballymena connections:-

Caterpillar Cem. Ritchie, Prvt. John 2nd Battn. Wellington Regt. NZEF. KIA 15 september 1916. Age 45(!) son of John and Hanna Ritchie of Carncoagh, Rathkenny, Ballymena.

Cite Bonjean Cem. Armientieres. Caldwell, Prvt. James, 1st bttn. Otago Regt. NZEF DOW July 27 aged 35. Son of James Caldwell of Clonavon Road, Ballymena.

Wilson, Prvt. Robert 1st Bttn Wellington Regt. NZEF. DOW 25 September 1916. Aged 34 Son of James and Sarah Anne Wilson, Ballymena.

For Aussies - Warlencourt Cem. Pas de Calais: Tennant Lt. Thomas 5th Coy Australian Machine Gun Corps. KIA 14 November 1916 aged 29. Son of Robert and Elizabeth Tennant, native of Ballymena.

For Canadians:- Pennie, Pruvt W. 19th Bttn, Canadian Inf. (central Ontario Regt.) DOW September 8, 1916. Son of James and Martha Pennie, ballygarvey, Ballymena.

May be of some use to someone!

John Ritchie

one of these

either

Surname RITCHIE

Given Name John

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 2

Regimental Number 23/2078

Rank Rifleman

Next of Kin Title Thomas

Next of Kin Surname RITCHIE

Next of Kin Relationship Uncle

Next of Kin Address Rathkenny Ireland

Roll Roll 26

Page Page 29

Occupation Labourer

or

Surname RITCHIE

Given Name John

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 12/445

Rank Private

Body or Draft Main Body

Unit or Regiment Auckland Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Waikino

Next of Kin Title Mrs J

Next of Kin Surname RITCHIE

Next of Kin Address 57 Ballyniagle St Bangor County Down Ireland

James Caldwell

Surname CALDWELL

Given Name James

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Regimental Number 8/2862

Rank Private

Body or Draft Seventh

Unit or Regiment Otago Infantry Batln

Marital Status S

Last NZ Address Occidental Hotel Dunedin

Next of Kin Title J

Next of Kin Surname CALDWELL

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Ballymena Donegal Ireland

There are 49 Robert Wilsons mentioned on the CD, and not one acknowledges Irish origins!

Christine - these details came from our local reference library. I'll check the title of the document this week.

Caldwell is most def. a Ballymena man - Ballymena is in Co. Antrim - Donegal much further to the north west.

The first John Ritchie (Rathkenny) is the Ballymena man but where does the age difference come in. I did find it hard to believe an infantry soldier of 45 would be needed in a NZ unit which would be made up of (presumably young and fit) volunteers?

Rathkenny is a little hamlet on the road to the famous Glens of Antrim. The obvious tie in with NZ would be the fact that the area is well known for sheep farming (obviously on a much smaller scale).

As for Wilson - I'll try to find out more but his connection to Ballymena seems to be accepted fact here. Thanks for replying. By the way apparently there are quite a few Blackadders in New Zealand - I'm in the Northern branch of the 'clan'!

Christine - just did a quick search on CWG site - the Ballymena R.Wilson is top of list. The man underneath (also Robrt Wilson) is rom Bellaghy, Co. Derry just down the road! If i can help you in any way with NZ research here - just give me shout!

By the way apparently there are quite a few Blackadders in New Zealand - I'm in the Northern branch of the 'clan'!

Yes, Todd Blackadder, All Black captain, now coach of Scottish Rugby, is the most famoussee here

My brother has lived in South Africa since 70s. When Todd Blackadder was on tour with AB's he looked up the 'phone book and discovered that my brother's family were the only Blackadders in the country!! He met with the family and got them tickets for a big match ... nice one!