Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The American expeditionary Forces in World War 1

Michelle Young

• Admin

I recieved some information from Osprey Publishers today (I don't have any financial interests in them)

They are publishing the above titled book in November 2004, it is written by Dr John F Votaw

Osprey website

http://www.ospreypublishing.com

John is a friend and frequently speaks at US WFA meetings. He's a West POint graduate, retired as Lt Col and has a PhD. He has an incredible job as director of the 1st Division Museum outside Chicago, a terrific facility on big nice grounds, Cantigny Museum. It seems Robert McCormick who owned the Chicago Tribune, which now owns also WGN TV and the Chicago Cubs was a Col in 1st WW1. Well the foundation owns lots of stock in Tribune companies and has LOTS of money! If you are in the area it's sure worth a visit, large staff amazing just 1 division and he tells me they will never run out of material.

There have been a couple of good ones lately, The Doughboys: America and the Great War and Retreat Hell! We Just Got Here: American Expeditionary Force in France, 1917-18

Also from Osprey in April 2004 is US Doughboy 1916-19

Ryan

Thanks for the heads-up Michelle!

I have heard Dr. Votaw speak and visited the Cantigny Museum near Chicago. He's a great speaker and the museum is very impressive! This should be a great contribution.

BTW, Michelle, almost didn't recognize you with the change of avatar!

Cheers!

Steve

Also from Osprey in April 2004 is US Doughboy 1916-19

Also from Osprey, and in available now are:

The US Army in WW1 1917-18

The US Marine Corps in WW1 1917-18

The US Army 1899 - 1920

and

US Army Combat Equipments 1910 - 1988

Dave.

• Admin
Has the blue haired lady died?

Paul, and Steve, no the blue haired lady hasn't died, I wanted to use a pic of my Great Grandad, Ernest Mildenhall

A truly distinguished looking chap!

SJW

The Doughboys:America and The Great War is a cracking book which I heartily recommend to anyone with an interest in Americas contribution.

It also has the advantage of being about 4-500 pages which makes it long enough for an avid reader to enjoy. Don't you just hate those books that you finish in a day and leave you wishing the author had written more :rolleyes:

Spike

The History of the AEF (1920?) has also just been re-published by the N&MP.

Dave

The US Army's Center for Military History has a 3 CD Set containing a vast amount of information on the AEF. For some reason I was just unable to get on to their website but you can order it by credt card and it costs around $20 ( 10 Pounds). It is really the best investment you can make if you are interested in the AEF.

Individual AEF division histories are available through the Digital Bookshelf who I have bought from in the past and have nothing but good things to say.

Take care,

Neil

The US Army's Center for Military History has a 3 CD Set containing a vast amount of information on the AEF. For some reason I was just unable to get on to their website but you can order it by credt card and it costs around $20 ( 10 Pounds). It is really the best investment you can make if you are interested in the AEF.

Individual AEF division histories are available through the Digital Bookshelf who I have bought from in the past and have nothing but good things to say.

Take care,

Neil

Yes, I would say that the 3CD Set "The Uniteds States Army in World War 1" is value for money,having paid $25 for it including postage to Europe.

Any student studying the AEF in Europe 1917-1919,then this is a must.The associated book was not published until 1938 and would be an excellent reference book for the field.

Regards

Frank East

Is this the CD collection referred to as

'United States Army in World War I. CD-ROMS. 2001. Contains a wide-ranging collection of all of the United States Army Center of Military History's published works on World War I. Includes the following titles: Learning Lessons in the American Expeditionary Forces; United States Army in the World War, 1917-1919; Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War; American Armies and Battlefields in Europe; and Army Art of World War I. System requirements: Windows: 486 PC; and 8M RAM 95; 16M RAM for NT. Macintosh: Power Macintosh; System 7.5; and 4.5M RAM. 3 CD-ROMs with booklet in plastic case. 0-16-067116-7'

on

http://bookstore.gpo.gov/sb/sb-098.html#wwi

?

Copies of American Armies and Battlefiedls In Europe 1938 are readily available and don't cost much. It has many maps, some fold out from the text and three, Aisne-Marne, St. Mihiel and Meuse Argonne in a separate compartment. They are lovely, though misleading, make you think US conquered a lot of territory when it did not compared to French & especially British at the same time.

The text contains no criticism, almost nothing about black soldiers but covers even the smalletst of engagements. I recommend buying the book instead. A guess is 45 $ which aint much in the UK now.

I got my copy for only $25. It is in good condition and the maps at the back are excellent. There are some great B&W photos as well. You have to careful that the maps are still with the book if you buy it second-hand.

Hi Paul,

Nothing wrong with the book but the CD has a lot of additional information and I think is still a great resource. No law against buying both.

by the way I read in the WFA Bulletin you are resigning as President elect, hope nothing is wrong.

Take care,

Neil