Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identify commanders.

armourersergeant

The picture below is of General Milne , seated centre and corps and senior staff memebers in Salonika. I was wondering if anyone could put a name to any others. I am wondering if any are the Divisional commanders. Realise this is a long shot but any help greatly recieved.

Arm.

post-5-1073556112.jpg

Here is a head close up.

Arm.

post-5-1073556327.jpg

With the assistance of three captioned photographs at the IWM (none of the captions agree 100%!!!) here's my ID of the British Salonika Force GHQ Staff Officers:

Back row (l to r): Major or Lt Col Henderson / Colonel D C B Payne / Major General Travers Clarke / Major General Webb Gillman / Colonel A J W Dowell

Seated (l to r) Brigadier General A Long / either Major General H R Whitehead or Surgeon General MacPherson / General George Milne / Brigadier General Matthews / Colonel F Eassie

As far as I know, of those depicted, only Milne served for any time as a Divisional Commander in Salonika.

ALAN

Thanks for that Alan.

Was hoping i had struck gold in as much one might have been Forestier-Walker of 27th division. Guess i will just have to get around to ordering the one on file at IWM that shows FW and Smith-Dorrien together i assume in 1914.

FW had a knickname of Hooky, so i assume he had a prominet nose, on veiwing this photo I thought i might have got lucky.

Thanks again.

Arm.

Arm

Just for interest AJW DOWELL shown in the photo was a Royal Berkhire Regiment Officer . He joined the Regiment in 1882, He commanded the 1st Battalion from 1904 to 1908.

Cheers

MAC