Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sidney Rogerson

David_Blanchard

I would like to find out more about the author Sidney Rogerson, author of 'Twelve Days' and 'The Last of the Ebb'. I have some information from the introduction to 'Twelve Days' by John Terraine. I would be particularly pleased to discover a photograph.

From Who's Who:

Publicity and Public Relations Consultant and author. Born 22nd of October 1894. Son of the Reverend S. Rogerson. B.A. in Modern History 1916; Served in the European War; Commissioned in the West Yorkshire Regiment 1916-1919. Demobilised in 1919. 1923-30 was Publicity Manager for the F.B.I (Federation of British Industry); Joined I.C.I (Imperial Chemical Industries) in 1930; Publicity Controller I.C.I Ltd., 1932-1952. Publicity and Public Relations Advisor to the Army Council, War Office, 1952-3-4. Hon. Col. 44th (Home Counties) Infantry Division. Signals Regiment T.A., 1955. Publications: Twelve Days, 1933: Last of the Ebb, 1937: Propaganda in the Next War,1938: Old Enchantment, 1938: Our Bird Book, 1946: Both Sides Of The Road, 1949.

Rogerson was a friend of James Jack whose diary (a great book) was also edited by John Terraine.

Thanks for the information. I have been given a direct lead off the forum and will be following that up.

• 5 years later...

Hi Jbeen ! Welcome to the Great War Forum :D

and thanks for the link, it seems bizarre that no matter how hard I look I can't find his MIC either ??? I mean it's not like we are unsure if he did nor did not go overseas :rolleyes:

Wizzie :)

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I have two photographs of, I think, Sidney Rogerson.

Rogerson2_zps9c022822.png

Rogerson_zpsfd877146.jpg

The second photograph is definately of him, it comes from the 1930s publication 'I was there'. The first photograph I acquired at the IWM about 15 years ago. I have to say that my note taking is very haphazard to say the least and this photograph came from a file on Rogerson, or the file directed me elsewhere to this photograph.

However, the problem is to do with the cap badge. The second photograph is quite clearly the West Yorkshire Regiment- in which he served. The first photograph- and I am no real expert on badges- appears to be the Royal Artillery and there appears to be a medal ribbon, so therefore post war and from the biography above it appears he left the army in 1919 and did not change regiments.

Despite this the two photographs of the man appear to be fairly similar.

I would like any help to clarify this situation.

David

David

The first photograph is definitely a Gunner officer and therefore cannot be Rogerson. The officer is wearing the MC and the pic was taken either during the war or shortly afterwards, before campaign medal ribands had been issued.

Charles M

Thanks Charles for your help,

Just wondering if anyone has Sidney Rogerson's obituary I thought I had it but I must have misplaced it...

I think he was born in Bingley and died near Bury St Edmunds.

David

• 4 months later...

According to the introduction to General Jack's diary, Sidney Rogerson owned the typescript originals which John Terraine used. It also refers a copy of part 4 (Jack's time with the West Yorkshire's) which was presented to that regiment. I've seen that version, but am looking for the other chapters, If Sidney Rogerson owned the typescript diary, it begs the question where it is now. Any suggestions, please?

Stuart

The West Yorkshire Regiment Museum, in York seems the most likely place.

Keith

The West Yorkshire Regiment Museum, in York seems the most likely place.

Keith

They have the single chapter (4) which I've consulted, but not the rest. :-(

Stuart

I believe that a relative of Sidney Rogerson wrote a foreword to a reissue of "Last of the Ebb" published I think in 2007. It could be worthwhile sending an e mail to the publishers to get them to pass it on to Rogerson's relative.

David

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks for the information. Interesting photograph of 'Sidney and George' just wondering if George was his brother?

Fairly sure that is his brother - checked Ancestry- he was an officer in the RFA. The photo I posted above was from an IWM file on Rogerson, and assumed photograph was of him- now fairly certain it is his brother George Carroll Rogerson.

David

sidney_and_georgetile.jpeg

616B73C7-1FB1-478D-B11F-A0A2F83D31AE.png

Edited by David_Blanchard

• 1 year later...
On 31/07/2018 at 14:18, RaySearching said:

I'd hoped the tie might be military ......... not so ...... appears to be neither West Yorkshire Regiment or Royal Signals. The absence of an MIC is curious.  Perhaps the actual Medal Roll might shed some light on this? 

Edited by TullochArd

• 3 years later...

His service file is one of those held by the MoD

Name S Rogerson

Birth Date 22 Oct 1894

Service Number P101448

Rank Army Officers

Reference Number AOP00047640