Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CHR and ANSR

charlesmessenger

Does anyone know what the above stand for? They are nursing organisations. I have come across them in base medical war diaries after the names of nurses being posted to hospitals, ie Sister A N Other CHR.

Charles M

Charles

A Pictorial History of Nursing by Madeleine Masson (Hamlyn 1985)

Refers to the ARMY NURSING SERVICE RESERVE.The reference relates to the ANSR being delegated the task of recruiting suitable candidates from the many offers to Nurse in SA to supplement the ANS which at the start of the war numbered less than 100 personnel. The ANSR was responsible for recruiting most of the 1800 Nursing Sisters who went to SA including contingents from Canada, Australia and NZ plus a group selected by the Princess of Wales (later Princess Alexandra).

As you will be aware the ANS became the QAIMNS in 1902. I do not Know if the ARNS was redesignated at the same time or if the organisation carried the same name forward.

Could the CHR be CNR - College of Nursing Registered used before the college became RCN and those post nominal letters were thereafter used to signify a qualified nurse i.e Sister Gotobed RCN.?

Hope this helps

Dave

Dave

Many thanks. ANSR certainly makes sense. It would seem that it remained in being after the formation of the QAIMNS.

As for CHR, I'm pretty certain that this is what the war diary stipulated, but my eyes could have deceived me. I will have to double check next time I am at Kew.

Charles M