Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BORDON CAMP, HANTS 1915

manxsapper

My Grandfather was at Bordon Camp, Hants,in 1915, as part of his training for the Royal Engineers. Can anyone help me regarding what was going on at the camp at the time and what he may have been up too?

Guest Pete Wood

Did he have anything to do with trains at all....??

There was a military railway running between Bordon and Longmoor, through a forest. If you go down there today, there is still the odd trace of its existence.

Have a quick look at http://www.1914-1918.net/lightrail.htm

Today, Bordon is the home of the School of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers - the training camp for the craftsmen and craftwomen of REME.

I was there many time on long and short courses up until the late 1980s. If you want any local info, just ask.

I can't answer your questions but these pics may be of interest:

Thanks for the info. My grandfather did work on traction engines in civilian life,but was with the 97th Field Coy RE in France and as far as I am aware they did not have any trains. Also their war diaries stated that they were in the front lines working on trench repairs (Oct15- March16). :D

I would be interested if anyone had any more information on Bordon camp during WW1. My great-uncle was there at the end of 1914/beginning of 1915 with the 8th Battalion KRRC prior to going to France.

I have his letters and also a programme from a concert held (I think!) at Bordon during this period.

Mike S

Guest Pete Wood

The remains of the WW1 camp are across the road from the REME camp (Prince Phillip Barracks). The wooden huts were mostly pulled down in the 1980s and 1990s. One survived, though, and is (was!!??) being used as a Scout/Cadet hut.

The garrison church is 'period' and, I seem to recall, was built by the Royal Engineers. There were a few souvenirs inside, from units that were nearby. I am sure that the Australians were also based at Bordon.

Longmoor has more of the old buildings, though. If you go to Bordon on the weekend (when the REME recovery tanks/trucks are locked away, so you don't get run over), and venture out onto the back of the camp into the wooded 'training area' you can still see the remains of the ww1 rifle range and practice trenches.

The REME TA Centre also has a number of WW1 buildings and a drill square that pre-dates ww2 (by how much I don't know, and you'll need to make further enquiries).

Archived