Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing Man?

Neil Clark

I was looking at a few old threads and came across some welcome information about this man - Private Frank LYNES on this thread - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=ashfordsfallen

The thread concerns one G.H STANLEY and Arthur TAYLOR.

Mentioned on this thread is Private Frank LYNES, 1st Northamptonshire Regiment. Missing / POW ?

Now Private Frank LYNES is one of the men whom I am investigating (possible lost/forgotten casualty) see my website at http://www.kentfallen.com/Forgotten%20Fallen.html

His name appears on the Charing War Memorial 8 miles to the West of Ashford in Kent. Herewith the information I have about him -

Frank Houghton LYNES. 1st Battalion, Northamptonshire Regiment. Born Feltwell, Norfolk 17th December 1887. Born Feltwell, Thetford, Norfolk 17th December 1887. Died 9th May 1915 aged 27 years. Second son of Mr Issac Lynes (a Groom) and Hannah Lynes (Nee Pledger) of the King’s Head Hotel, Charing, Kent. Formerly residing Feltwell, Norfolk. Brother of Mrs Annie Louisa Taylor (nee Lynes) of Eye, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire.

The following casualty was Frank’s brother brother, he was killed at Ypres 2 -

Private 2142 Sidney George LYNES. 5th Battalion, King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). Died Sunday 25th April 1915. Born Feltwell, Brandon September 1889. Enlisted Lancaster. Resided Charing. Third son of Mr Issac Lynes and Hannah Lynes (Nee Pledger) of the King’s Head Hotel, Charing, Kent. Buried in the Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery, Poperinghe, Belguim. Grave reference II.K.33.

The Ashford 1918 Absentee Voters List gives –

The King’s Head Hotel, Charing

Private 495444 Frederick Ralph LYNES. Royal Army Medical Corps.

Private 265600 Herbert Richard LYNES. Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment).

This man’s name is not recorded by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. The reason for this is not known

The undermentioned casualty ARTHUR TAYLOR was Frank’s Nephew (son of his sister Annie Louise Taylor (nee Lynes) note the mention of Frank Lynes (Missing for several months? POW?) -

Are there any Northamptonshire Regiment experts out there who may be able to tell me if Frank was ever captured by the Germans and held as a Prisoner of War (POW)? Alternatively perhaps someone in the Peterborough, Eye, Feltwell areas might know something of this family?

Any further information gladly accepted...

Best Wishes to all

Neil

Here is a photo of his name on the Charing civic war memorial. Interestingly his name appears under the year 1915 -

post-2961-1187297476.jpg

He's apparently not listed on the Eye Memorial or the Memorial book. I shall be visiting the Leeds Hall in Eye for a wedding anniversary in September so I shall double check.

http://www.warmemorial.firstworldwarrelics...e_memorial.html

I don't have any other information on him but I shall keep an eye out...

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for that info. I shall wait to hear from you if you manage to find anything else.... My personal Email is clarkneil at hotmail dot co dot uk (this format stops the spam robots from obtaining my address).

If anyone else has anything more to bring to the party, feel welcome to post here...

I haven't managed to locate Frank LYNES on the GRO indexes or CWGC index. It would help if others could confirm the same result. So many times in the past Terry has managed to locate a man with different spelling etc...

Neil