Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Married Nurses

christine liava'a

While googling Cherat pictures, I came across a page mentioning

Violet Wilson

Violet was born in 1879 in Cherat, India, the youngest of nine children of Charles Wilson and Henrietta Sankey. Her mother died when she was born and she was sent along with five of her brothers and sisters to live at the vicarage in Market Lavington, Wiltshire with her mother's, older sister, Maria and her husband, Rev. Edward Blackstone Cokayne Frith.

She married Harold Saies Jones, who worked for the Mercer Company in London, England and they had three children, two daughters and a son. In 1910 they immigrated to Toronto, Canada.

During WWI, when both her husband and son enlisted and were sent over to England, Violet enrolled her two daughters in an English boarding school and also went back 'home', enlisting as a nurse . After the war the family returned to Toronto.

Were there many married nurses?

Chris,

I don't think it was all that wide spread but of the Light Horsemen and nurses in Egypt I show only seven married while overseas.

Dr Capt AR Davidson married Nurse C McDonald,

Dr Capt J Chirnside "" "" " " LC Bell,

Nurse H Clapp " Maj Goldenstadt,

Nurse M MacKenzie " "" Capt Bray British Army,

Dr C Single " "" Miss R Phillamy AIF Canteens

Just to name a few I have.

S.B

As some listers will know I am preparing a register of WW1 serving female casualties. As it is in Word format it is searchable. I have completed a find using "wife of" and not a single strictly British nurse came up. There was H.M. Bettle of the South African Military Nursing Service and G. Donaldson and J.B. Jaggard of the Canadian Army Medical Corps. Plenty of VAD's, QMAAC's and a few BRCS but not British nurses unless they served outside of the armed forces umbrella.

Guest MRS STEVEN

i'm not sure if it was true in the first war, but when i was looking at training as a nurse i was told that if i wanted to train for the forces i had to sign for seven years.

in the end i did my first years training for the NHS, but had to give up. :(

they did not encourage married women to join and asked that you left if you fell pregnant.

• 1 year later...

Christine

Whilst looking at old postings, found this one of yours from last year. In the NZANS marrying whilst on active service almost always lead to the nurse having to "resign" her position. There was apparently quite a fuss over this rule and it was on occassions challenged. There is an excellent book on the New Zealand Army nursing service called "Whilst You're Away" or something very similar, which covers this topic.

Regards

Andrew

25 year old Elsie Marian Bosworth married Hugh Malcolm Kirkwood Gracey on ship called Mooltan, 21st September 1916. Elsie was listed as a Domestic Red Cross Nurse and Hugh, a Lieutenant in 101st Grenadiers. They were married by Rev. Longley Military Chaplain Suez.

Myrtle

Mate,

I did read that all AIF Nurses had to be single when sent overseas.

Most were trained ladies having a number of years in the job so many were around 30 or over.

No dought as the war went on these restrictions were reduced.

S.B

Mate,

I did read that all AIF Nurses had to be single when sent overseas.

Most were trained ladies having a number of years in the job so many were around 30 or over.

No dought as the war went on these restrictions were reduced.

S.B

Wasn't this the case for most if not all women in all occupations and for a number of decades after WW1. Women were required to resign their jobs as teachers, nurses, armed forces, etc etc etc, when they married. THanks goodness it's NOT the "good old days", eh girls?

Robbie :(

All British military trained nurses were required to be single, although many members of the Territorial Force Nursing Service who had been single in say 1909 when they joined, were married by the time they were mobilized, and in view of the shortage of nurses, particularly after 1916, a blind eye was turned to it. But as soon as peace broke out it was a different matter. Although no longer on 'active service' all married Territorial Force nurses and QA Reserve nurses were required to resign, even though they would be returning to civilian life, and would only have a very limited part time committment to the TF. This is the letter received from the War Office by the Matron of No. 2 Northern General Hospital, concerning Norah Gozney, the wife of a British Officer, still abroad. Mrs. Gozney had been married a year earlier, with the blessing of the authorities, but despite complaining bitterly she was force to go!

The poor woman. No way would I have got married under those circumstances. Come to think of it, bring back the old days (joke).

Robbie ;)

Mate,

Yes all the members I mention above married in 1919.

It appears there was mass weddings going on in Egypt by Nurses and soldiers stuck there awaiting transports for home.

I surpose the wait of over a year after the war was time to think of this more permannt situation then to be romantic but unattached during the war.

S.B

Little but real story

- There was also weddings because of being nurse -

My great aunt was a nurse in the Red Cross during WW1 ; She encountered an US soldier and then soon after war get married.

Then they went to the States - Atlantic City were they lived until their death.

In memory of Isabelle Burton and her hausband.

Regards